Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Can you go 4G? I am managing to play BFV on a 4G router, which doesn't have the same speed as my VM M200 connection was supposed to be. Yet I am having a better game on about 10-45 Mb depending on the time of day.

Unfortunately, 10mbit isn't going to cut it with the load we put in it during the day at the moment

Associate
Yes - the lay of the land means we only connect to one of two masts, and its seriously congested in peak time. Speed tests outside that are better - just got 19mbit on a test just now (@6.55am). Hopefully 5g will help with that so it might be a better option in future.

Soldato
Yes - the lay of the land means we only connect to one of two masts, and its seriously congested in peak time. Speed tests outside that are better - just got 19mbit on a test just now (@6.55am). Hopefully 5g will help with that so it might be a better option in future.

Should get a lot better speed if you go with starlink

Man of Honour
Is there an easy (read cheap) option for extending/replacing the Coax cable from the Virgin Socket in the house?

I've just moved into a rented house, the Virgin point is next to the front door, the cables they supply with the self install kit aren't long enough to run around the stairs into the living room where I need them to be able to connect to the TV 360 Mini

Soldato
You should be able to just replace it with a longer coax cable, people recommend WF100 spec but I have some RG6 that I used to move mine and it works fine.

I think it is also against their T&Cs to change it.

Caporegime
Amphenol RG6 77% tri-shield is the stuff Virgin use, with compression connectors. As long as you're not adding loads of distance to the cable you shouldn't need to mess with attenuators.

Man of Honour
Thanks, ordered a pre-terminated RG6 cable online, I'm adding 3 or 4 meters of cable length.

Aware it's against T&Cs, I'm not particularly fond of paying £99 for an engineer visit for 5 Meters of cable they could chuck in the post for not a lot of money

Caporegime
Aware it's against T&Cs, I'm not particularly fond of paying £99 for an engineer visit for 5 Meters of cable they could chuck in the post for not a lot of money

Some people who are far too invested in posting on the Virgin Media forums will tell you that they insist on a call out because the engineer will check the signal levels and ensure everything is within spec, but they don't seem to be able to do that for new installs so there's zero chance of them doing it after extending a cable a few metres.

Man of Honour
Some people who are far too invested in posting on the Virgin Media forums will tell you that they insist on a call out because the engineer will check the signal levels and ensure everything is within spec, but they don't seem to be able to do that for new installs so there's zero chance of them doing it after extending a cable a few metres.
I know what you mean, last install I had done by an Engineer was in a new build, that already had the wall plate inside fitted etc.

Turned up plugged Router/TIVO in a left basically. Ironically, that time I ended up with a 10 meter cable after asking for two meters because the wall plate was already on the same wall I wanted everything plugged in.

Can't win

Soldato
You only get 10Mbit max from any of the four 4G providers? Seems weird, are you in a heavily congested area with very few masts? Cellmapper.net can help you look and find out if you do not know.

Not weird, I get good 4G signal but low speeds in ALL rooms, most of the 4G providers in London are overloaded with too many users, so your speed is very limited regardless of signal in London for the most part. Anyway my 100Mbps BB having installed by Virgin on 3rd March should be a nice upgrade from my 10Mbps with Plusnet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not weird, I get good 4G signal, but most of the 4G providers in London are overloaded with too many users, so your speed is very limited regardless of signal in London for the most part. Anyway my 100Mbps BB having installed by Virgin on 3rd March should be a nice upgrade from my 10Mbps with Plusnet.

If you are in a massive city, or in this case the capital, you have a huge choice of broadband providers, and don't need to slum it with 4G/5G. If you are somewhere not so well connected and densely populated then 4G/5G is a genuine option that seems to be written off before it is even investigated fully by most people . I can get Virgin/BT, FTTC and that is great but sadly the VM's of the world don't want to compete unless they have to. FTTP due soon, so VM won't even get a look in unless they beg me to come back. :)

Soldato
If you are in a massive city, or in this case the capital, you have a huge choice of broadband providers, and don't need to slum it with 4G/5G. If you are somewhere not so well connected and densely populated then 4G/5G is a genuine option that seems to be written off before it is even investigated fully by most people . I can get Virgin/BT, FTTC and that is great but sadly the VM's of the world don't want to compete unless they have to. FTTP due soon, so VM won't even get a look in unless they beg me to come back. :)

You forget a few things, 5G is not in ALL areas and not on my street, also cost as well, some people will not pay over the top to get a decent 4G speed if it is available in the first place, have you seen the price of some 4G unlimited data packages, they are not all cheap.

Soldato
You forget a few things, 5G is not in ALL areas and not on my street, also cost as well, some people will not pay over the top to get a decent 4G speed if it is available in the first place, have you seen the price of some 4G unlimited data packages, they are not all cheap.

I didn't forget any of those things. Also 5G isn't in my area unless I use EE, and even then it is outdoor only.

Given the level of shopping around people do, it is no wonder people pay over the odds for mobile phone packages etc. There are lots of competitive unlimited data SIMs about if you do some research and look at ways of getting the best deals, the same way you would buying a landline/home broadband package, unless you are just lazy and use a comparison site., and think you are getting the best deal.

As I said previously my use case is different to a lot of people here, I need decent upload, and I get nigh on the same as I did with VM but for a lot less on my current package, download is fine too.

Obviously everyone isn't going to be in the same circumstances, but as I said people tend to write it off without testing or investigating it, as that takes time and effort which most people can't be bothered with. :)

Back
Top Bottom