*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Having also received my G2 today and ditched the family for the evening to play with my new toy instead, I thought I would pop on here to give my findings, but what you have stated is exactly my experience so far also. Maybe I just need a few days to get used to it, but I find the Rift S more comfortable and easy to adjust, and although the text is blurrier with the Rift it is generally more readable across the whole area I can see, unlike the G2 which is sharper directly in the middle where I am looking, but out of focus everywhere else.

Not going to give up yet, but so far I am feeling pretty underwhelmed (having waited 4 months) and am struggling to see why I just spent £650 for a (so far) marginal upgrade over my Rift S.

Time will tell....

what GPU?

If you are seeing a marginal upgrade over a RiftS something isn’t right

Associate
Got my G2 yesterday Its all working fine, My god MSFS is so much smoother than the Quest 2 via link in this sim... So far im loving this headset :)

Just one Q tho is there anyway to turn off them damn blinders in Cliff House?
I way Prefer Oculus home over this so i wont be in there much, Its anoying tho when i am

Last edited:
Associate
what GPU?

If you are seeing a marginal upgrade over a RiftS something isn’t right

GPU is an Aorus 1080TI. I know it's a couple of years old, but I hoped would still be up to the job of giving me pretty decent performance.

Last night was my fist foray in to SteamVR and WMR, so some of my settings might be off. I play exclusively DCS.

I have left the WMR settings at their default. Should these be changed?

SteamVR is set to 2324 x 2272 54%. Is there anything else to change within WMR or SteamVR?

Thanks

Soldato
GPU is an Aorus 1080TI. I know it's a couple of years old, but I hoped would still be up to the job of giving me pretty decent performance.

Last night was my fist foray in to SteamVR and WMR, so some of my settings might be off. I play exclusively DCS.

SteamVR is set to 2324 x 2272 54%. Is there anything else to change within WMR or SteamVR?

Thanks

Well I mean you are running your headset at nearly half resolution - how does your RiftS look at 54%? Do you run your riftS at 100% or more?

Make sure the WMR settings are “best quality” to prevent it from trying to scale resolution/Fov etc for you so that you don’t have two things potentially playing against each other (wmr and steam)

For steam resolution ultimately you have to settle on what your GPU can cope with but my 2070S (roughly equivalent to a 1080Ti) was more or less managing around 76% as base, from there I tweaked per game. Since upgrading to the 3090 I set 100% as the base but there are still some games that need to run lower, so even a 3090 can’t get the most out of this headset’s panels/lenses in all games.

Manually set 100% (and turn off motion smoothing as that can induce blur) and see how the clarity in DCS compares then... Depending on the game you’ll probably get extremely low FPS so it won’t be playable but you’ll see roughly what the headset should look like running at optimal settings (still not quite because low FPS introduces some smearing, but with your head still it should be close).

Last edited:
Associate

Thanks
read this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/261731-reverb-g2-guide/

Associate
G2 Games Help Needed

Tried my new G2 with some games yesterday MSFS2020 worked well. Then tried to play Elite Dangerous, Star Ward Squadrons and DCS.

DCS I could get into VR, but couldn't play it as I couldn't move the mouse to select fly once I'd got into a quick flight. The mouse cursor would only go so far down the screen.
ED and Starwars Squadrons, couldn't get them to load into VR at
I have Steam VR, OpenXR, WMR, Oculus and Revive installed. Prior to the G2 I did have a Oculus Rift, so uninstalled Oculus and reinstalled it.

Trying to launch all games from desktop icons.

I'm sure there is something simple I'm not doing that would fix these problems. Any help/pointers appreciated. As much as I love MSFS2020 I don't want it to be my only VR game.

Soldato
You’ve installed the “windows mixed reality for steamVR” bridge too?

Regarding the mouse it can sometimes be a bit irritating if the game is in windowed mode and the mouse goes outside the window. Try windows key + y to change which mode has priority over the inputs and make sure you haven’t inadvertently deselected the game.

For what it’s worth DCS and squadrons work on my G2 so it’s just a question of us figuring out why it isn’t for you rather than a limitation of the headset.

Associate
You’ve installed the “windows mixed reality for steamVR” bridge too?

Regarding the mouse it can sometimes be a bit irritating if the game is in windowed mode and the mouse goes outside the window. Try windows key + y to change which mode has priority over the inputs and make sure you haven’t inadvertently deselected the game.

For what it’s worth DCS and squadrons work on my G2 so it’s just a question of us figuring out why it isn’t for you rather than a limitation of the headset.

yes, "windows mixed reality for steamVR” is installed and the small box that it brings up appears on my screen.

Should I be launching the games from the desktop shortcuts or do I need to launch them from inside of steam or something else?

There's probably just a small item that I'm missing in the way I'm trying to get them to work.

Soldato
Generally it’s best to launch from inside steam (if it’s a steam game) where you can choose to launch in VR mode for games that have pancake options... or indeed from inside steamVR as that will automatically choose the VR version.

Squadrons you could do either as a bit like MSFS it has a VR toggle mode and doesn’t have to be launched specifically in VR (though you can do so).

Associate
Hmm - My order direct from HP has been sat at the "packing" stage for 3 days now. Hoping they haven't oversold on their stock. Expected it to have shipped out or been delivered by now.
Looks like the headset without controllers is in stock and has a 48 hour delivery on it.

In other preparation, I have ordered 4 "Kratax" AA Li-ion batteries from the rainforest. As my current batteries are all 1.2V NiMH and not suitable.
What are you guys using?

Associate
reasonably easy to set up

make sure you have a USB C or B port free (USB C wouldn't work for me for some reason so used supplied dongle for USB B v3)
Make sure you have power socket free.

Install Open XR and WMR from the Windows store
Update steam and download Steam VR

Plug headset into the DVI port, USB and connect power cable to little power box on headset cable.
Put headset on, you should then go into the WMR home area. adjust IPD (little slider under headset) to match your eyesight
then have a wonder around the home area
then play a game

should all be good from there

Associate
Anybody else playing MSFS2020 in VR and using VoiceAttack? Makes flying so much easier to be able to say commands e.g. Open Map, ATC, flaps up, landing gear up than have to try to find a key on the controller or keyboard.

It's paid software, but loving it as an add-on

Back
Top Bottom