Leon FR to a Jag XF-S as am I mad ?

Soldato
OP
The Jag isn't a bad car and it looks a lot nicer than the 5 series of similar vintage. I really enjoyed mine. I just hit an Uber with it and needed shot of it :D

I think I only paid £30k brand new for my XF black 2.2, so 15k for one of this vintage (the facelift ones are big improvement) seems high.

There won't be a learning curve, you are being careful but overly cautious. It is a luxo barg, quick in a straight line, too big to do too many twisties in, and basically designed to be boring.

I don't drive like a nutter, and tend to drive quite carefully, avoided couple of crashes as ive seen issues up ahead etc. Saying that I'll as much as I would like say try a Yaris GS I would probably break it

Don
I'm a big Jag fan but I wouldn't be spending £14k on an XF of this vintage. If you want something wafty and powerful but left field of the usual 5-series, A6, and E-class models, then maybe take a look at the class above. A 7-series is a lovely car as is a Jaguar XJ. A8s are also fantastic places to be. The S-class is probably the best car of this bunch but you aren't going to get a decent W222 for £14k which puts you in a W221. Probably still a better overall car than the F01 7-series or D4 A8 but I never really liked them.

Soldato
Personally (I doubt this is going to be a popular suggestion) I'd much rather an XE for this sort of money than an XF, on the assumption that you can buy one with a decent engine for the money.

They look more modern than the XF, actually handle well, still gives you the badge you want and still reasonably comfy. Fit and finish isn't amazing but still not terrible, same slightly ropey infotainment, same slightly ropey reliability

I'm not sure I'd ever actually go out with £14-15k and think "yep this is the best car for me" when a decent BMW, Merc or even Lexus equivalent was available but you like what you like.

Soldato
If I wanted the Jaguar badge on a fairly cheap car....I'd pick up a cheap XK8, lovely looking car, the badge, V8 fun times.....but bearing in mind it'll probably crap out in expensive ways.

For a repmobile I don't know why you'd pick anything other than a BMW or Audi tbh.

Associate
You also won’t want to do a track day in a diesel Jag...

You may learn a bit about handling and get to exploit some performance, sure, but it’ll be too heavy, a bit boring after a while, and will most likely cook it’s brakes.

Soldato
More than just the brakes I bet. This car will be destroyed in no time if you drive it hard on a track.

Get a cheap, light hot hatch then upgrade the brakes and suspension if you want something to throw around a track.

Soldato
I second the recommendation for an XE. Every review raves about the handling, you don't see that many of them, they are reliable despite what you may read, all aluminium, the early petrol versions have a rock-solid Ecosport engine at either 200 or 240HP. 14K would get you a 66 or 17 plate easily.

Soldato
I second the recommendation for an XE. Every review raves about the handling, you don't see that many of them, they are reliable despite what you may read, all aluminium, the early petrol versions have a rock-solid Ecosport engine at either 200 or 240HP. 14K would get you a 66 or 17 plate easily.
I part ex'ed my mint XE 25t (250ps) with 25k on it for 14.5k. it got listed for 18.5k with 4 fresh tyres, 12 month warranty. 67 plate. Pano roof.

Just FYI for OP

Soldato
I’ve come from mega fast hot hatches to a 1.9tdi barge and I hate every second of it. I’d love to be driving around in a Leon FR right now.

My consumer advice is spend an extra 15k buy a Yaris GR. Most fun I’ve ever had in a stock car, flat out, almost everywhere and copious amounts of grip.

Soldato
Late model x250 owner here

love mine 3.0d mapped to 320bhp and 700nm goes well looks stunning mechanically fantastic everything else such a let down

buy a 5 series

Man of Honour
I’ve come from mega fast hot hatches to a 1.9tdi barge and I hate every second of it.

I can't think of a 1.9 TDI 'barge' that's any newer than about 15 years old or even remotely comparable to something like a Jaguar XF-S. I don't doubt you hate it but then the OP isn't considering anything like it so I'm not sure how that helps.

Caporegime
I’ve come from mega fast hot hatches to a 1.9tdi barge and I hate every second of it. I’d love to be driving around in a Leon FR right now.

My consumer advice is spend an extra 15k buy a Yaris GR. Most fun I’ve ever had in a stock car, flat out, almost everywhere and copious amounts of grip.
An old 4 cylinder diesel and a newish 6 cylinder diesel can't really be compared to be honest.

I also dislike the 1.9TDI. The way it is set up in older cars is an unsatisfying often frustrating lag-fest. The 2.0TDI is a huge improvement in terms of drivability, though they don't have the same bulletproof reputation.

In many ways I prefered driving my 90hp 1.9 to my friends 130hp 1.9 because the turbo did so much less turboing that the lag was barely noticable. :D

Soldato
I hate the 1.9tdi for blowing up (literally, with a loud bang, smoke and debris) at only 90k miles and leaving me stranded at 1am :p

Soldato
An old 4 cylinder diesel and a newish 6 cylinder diesel can't really be compared to be honest.

I also dislike the 1.9TDI. The way it is set up in older cars is an unsatisfying often frustrating lag-fest. The 2.0TDI is a huge improvement in terms of drivability, though they don't have the same bulletproof reputation.

In many ways I prefered driving my 90hp 1.9 to my friends 130hp 1.9 because the turbo did so much less turboing that the lag was barely noticable. :D

it was more a point of barge vs hatch rather than engine specs. Having driven many jags, including the one above. They’re nice to be in but I’m not a fan of driving them personally Although, the F-Type SVR was fun.

Back
Top Bottom