Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
In the coming years 5G will certainly become a more viable alternative as the latency is pretty low compared to 4G so things which are time sensitive such as gaming, streaming etc will work better. The other thread on this is quite interesting to follow, for best results you really need an external antenna (or one in your roof space). Things like Starlink will also be an option although less so for raw download speed right now and it costly.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...adband-thread-three-ee-vodafone-etc.18917203/

Anyway being a VM thread we best not go too off topic :) I phoned up the other week and got my increase cancelled for the next two months after which I'm out of contract so can do a "fake leaving" and hope for a decent deal. The extra upload of doing from 100MB to 200MB package would be handy for work so would be good to get that in the deal.

Associate
Is anyone else getting an absolute assload of spam in their inbox lately? I'm constantly getting obvious scam emails about norton etc, never used to get much spam at all but lately its a dozen or so emails a day at least.

Yes, same here. Real pain and similar ones .

Keep adding them to spam addresses, fingers crossed they stop.

Soldato
In the coming years 5G will certainly become a more viable alternative as the latency is pretty low compared to 4G so things which are time sensitive such as gaming, streaming etc will work better. The other thread on this is quite interesting to follow, for best results you really need an external antenna (or one in your roof space). Things like Starlink will also be an option although less so for raw download speed right now and it costly.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...adband-thread-three-ee-vodafone-etc.18917203/

Anyway being a VM thread we best not go too off topic :) I phoned up the other week and got my increase cancelled for the next two months after which I'm out of contract so can do a "fake leaving" and hope for a decent deal. The extra upload of doing from 100MB to 200MB package would be handy for work so would be good to get that in the deal.

Thanks of for pointing the thread out, didn't see it, but I wasn't looking. After all until the other day I was a VM customer. :) I have the name and number of one of the executive team now after they dealt with a complaint, and they said if I want a good deal call them back and I'll get one, even matching the £24 350Mbps deals that were being thrown around in here. Sadly as I said to them it was too little to late now as I have invested in 4G/5G hardware, and a contract.

Soldato
Is anyone else getting an absolute assload of spam in their inbox lately? I'm constantly getting obvious scam emails about norton etc, never used to get much spam at all but lately its a dozen or so emails a day at least.

Yes, same here. Real pain and similar ones .

Keep adding them to spam addresses, fingers crossed they stop.

Me too.

So bloody annoying.

Someone should tell Norton, McAfee and whatever else these spammers are promoting that this practice dissuades me and I'm sure others from ever considering buying that product.

Can't VM block these via there IP's?

Associate
I'm thinking of moving back to VM and looking at 350mb package. I'm extremely happy with openreach connection because of great latency and no one complains about gaming.

Anyone with Superhub 3 advice if their routers still have the latency issue? I remember it was a huge pain for the time we were with VM. Their forums are full of complaints too.

Associate
I'm thinking of moving back to VM and looking at 350mb package. I'm extremely happy with openreach connection because of great latency and no one complains about gaming.

Anyone with Superhub 3 advice if their routers still have the latency issue? I remember it was a huge pain for the time we were with VM. Their forums are full of complaints too.
Yes my latency is awful. To the point where I'm having to take out a BT line so I can do my work video calls... Obviously it'll depend on your area.

Caporegime
It means you're tied into your ISP more than you need to be and as shown their spam filters are a bit rubbish :)

Well its been fine for 20+ years upto about the last few weeks. I rarely ever got spam at all until just lately =/ Still on an ntlworld.com account which shows how old it is, near sure i got this around 98 or 99.

Permabanned

Mine is fine, thats with daughter/wife streaming/browsing and me and my son gaming. However I seem to be in a decent area.

Caporegime
The usual end of contract bill increase has come through.

£13 'loyalty discount' is ending and there's a £3.50 price rise, so that's £16.50 more per month for the same service (200Mb, talk anytime, basic TV).

I believe I'll be paying about £15 per month more than a new customer would. Let's see if they can do anything.

Man of Honour
Has anyone here switched from Sky Q to Virgin 360? How do you find the image quality difference? I've read a few forums that suggest that th 360 can be quite poor, but I'm not sure if the reports were perhaps early software releases which may have affected things.

Associate

I'm a FPS gamer (BF4 etc), the son plays Roblox and the missus streams from Netflix at the same time with no issues. As mentioned above, I suspect area congestion issues. I also run the Superhub 3 in modem mode with a pfsense box, using your own router/firewall/access point is highly advisable as the Superhub 3's routing options (no DNS server running on the router, no VPN etc) and wireless is widely know to be terrible.

Soldato
Will you actually get any better gaming performance using a 3rd party router such as latency ? Or would it remain exactly the same. I'm not sure what benefits you'd get to having a 3rd party router apart from better wifi

Associate
Will you actually get any better gaming performance using a 3rd party router such as latency ? Or would it remain exactly the same. I'm not sure what benefits you'd get to having a 3rd party router apart from better wifi

It could be placebo for ethernet based gaming but I find it to be better. The way I see it, the less the Superhub has to do the better.

Back
Top Bottom