Ford Fiesta 1.4L Automatic Titanium - undercharging issues

Associate
Hi All

I'm looking for some advice. I've got a 2011 Ford Fiesta which i have had since new - but as a low mileage driver i have only clocked up 19k miles in 10 years. Everything was running fine with no issues until we were into the latest lockdown and i didn't drive the car for about 3 weeks. The battery went dead. I called out the breakdown guys who gave it a jump start but when it was revved it kept cutting out - so they tested the battery and alternator and said they thought it was the alternator as it was undercharging under revs. Breakdown swapped my battery for one of theirs temporarily and followed me to the local garage - trustworthy - where i normally take my car for service, MOT etc. The power steering was also not working and the breakdown guy suggested that was because the car was not getting enough power - ie all related. The local garage had the car for a week - put on a new alternator but it was still undercharging. They charged up the battery from the mains and it was charging up ok. So they ruled out the battery. They ran diagnostics - only one error came up for the camshaft sensor which they replaced but the problems still occurring with the undercharging. Some days it would start with a jump but again cut out when you went to drive it - other days it wouldn't start at all. They removed the new alternator as didn't want to charge me for a part i didn't need - and said they had checked everything mechanical was working fine, and the issue must be do to with the computer - and that i should probably take it to Ford who would be able to fix it straight away.

I called Ford, explained the issue, booked it in, and arranged to have it towed to them Ford started by insisting it needed a new battery and a new alternator. I explained to them that battery had already been tested by breakdown and the local garage plus was under warranty anyway so if it needs changing would do that with the place i bought it. They still insisted on changing the alternator even though i told them that had already been tried. I got them to agree that if it turned out not to be the alternator after they changed it they would put my one back and not charge me for it. As expected when they put in the new alternator it was still undercharging and the problems still persisted. I agreed they could change the Auxillary belt at the same time as it was wearing/cracked in places - however this made no difference.

Ford have now suggested that there was water in the Engine wiring harness - which they have removed and cleaned up cos it was rusty but they said they want to try changing the Engine wiring harness - quoting me a cost of £600 parts plus £400+ labour. However it may still not fix the problem. However if they change this even when it doesn't fix it i would still have to pay for it. Other than that they also are unsure what could be causing the problems with undercharging and stalling. It feels like Ford are just trying random things even if they are not needed and expecting me to pay for them - however none of their 7 expert technicians at that Ford location seem able to know what it is - and so they have to keep trying different things. Meanwhile the consumer just has to keep paying out till the fault is found. That doesn't seem right to me.

So now we are at a stalemate as i don't really know if its worth spending that £1k+ if they don't even know if that is what is causing the issue. The car is also not worth much now being 10 years old but I've only done 19K miles so it seems a bit premature to be giving up on it just yet. But if 7 FORD technicians can't diagnose the problem, what hope do i have? I have already spent £100 at the first garage for diagnostics, £70 towing it and now Ford are charging me £165 for the Aux belt and the diagnostics. So already spent £335 and been without my car for 3+ weeks and am no further forward.

Note - I am not a car expert by any means, just a lady consumer who loves her Ford Fiesta that has served her well for 10 years.

Soldato
Very difficult to say what to do next, but replacing the engine wiring harness at £1k is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Unless they can point you to actual defects in the harness (it would be obvious if damaged or rusted as they say), then I don't think they know either.

It is difficult to find mechanics who actually diagnose issues rather than just chuck parts at things.

Soldato
I've seen a few times where main dealers just seem to want to change the whole wiring harness instead of finding and fixing the actual issue.

I don't know if its because their diagnostic tools aren't good enough to trace the actual issue or they aren't interested in smaller 'proper' fixes where they can just replace the whole thing and hope it solves the issue.

I really wouldn't know what to do, you could try a dedicated auto electrician but again that's more cost and they may or may not be able to help :(

As said hardly any mechanics can fix or properly diagnose stuff anymore, they just throw parts at stuff till it either works of you give up.

Associate
OP
I have managed to find a local guy with 16 years previous experience at Ford who said he has seen this before on some Fords and should be able to fix it. He said if he can't he won't charge - he does come highly recommended so i guess i have nothing to lose. I will update here once he has looked at it.

Soldato
Wiring does sound like the next "obvious" place to look, but I'd far rather go down the route of finding the actual issue and repairing a broken section of wiring or sorting out a bad earth than I would just replacing the whole loom for ***** and giggles.

As an aside, even if for some reason you did need a full new engine harness there is tonnes of room in the engine bay of a 1.4 Fiesta and plenty of cars being broken to scavenge the harness, I'd see it as more like a £2-300 fix (clearly ford won't do this for you but other local places or people would)

Soldato
There's no reason a competent auto electrician shouldn't be able to find the source of the fault. It may take a couple of hours of investigation but I expect the end result will be a lot cheaper than simply chucking expensive parts at it and hoping for the best.

Soldato
I have managed to find a local guy with 16 years previous experience at Ford who said he has seen this before on some Fords and should be able to fix it. He said if he can't he won't charge - he does come highly recommended so i guess i have nothing to lose. I will update here once he has looked at it.

I'd ask him how much the fix would be first. But like you say nothing to lose.

It's one of these things where you know the abolsute history of the car... Even at a £1k fix its still much cheaper than buying a car and would atleast put value back into the car as ultimately people would almost certainly just buy at scrap if it was an undiagnosed fault.

Soldato
The other side of that is that imo absolutely nothing on a 1.4 fiesta should be a £1k fix - even an engine is a few hundred quid to buy! All part of the reason we still have ours, nothing really goes wrong and nothing is even remotely expensive to sort.

Suspect rust will kill it before any real mechanical issues (I appreciate we are "only" talking about a ten year old car, but equally it's only worth a couple.of grand)

Associate
I've seen a few times where main dealers just seem to want to change the whole wiring harness instead of finding and fixing the actual issue.

I don't know if its because their diagnostic tools aren't good enough to trace the actual issue or they aren't interested in smaller 'proper' fixes where they can just replace the whole thing and hope it solves the issue.

I really wouldn't know what to do, you could try a dedicated auto electrician but again that's more cost and they may or may not be able to help :(

As said hardly any mechanics can fix or properly diagnose stuff anymore, they just throw parts at stuff till it either works of you give up.

this :)

Associate

and this exactly what i used to do always ended up with the vehicles other garages didnt want to repair or couldnt problem is most arnt trained to do it just replace and keep replacing till the fault is gone then charge customer for everything.....

he should be able to give you a quote after hes looked at it .

Associate
OP
Hi Everyone - thank you all for your replies and guidance. I am happy to say that the local mechanic I found was able to fix the problem on the same day. He found the issue was to do with the Alternator after all - one of the brushes was broken. He fitted me a genuine new Ford alternator for £335 incl labour and the car is running like a dream now. He also checked the Engine wiring harness and could find nothing wrong with it. This guy is a keeper and I will be going to him in future for anything my car needs. He also did a service and MOT (as they were due) and he found one of my brake pad cables was twisted the wrong way round and straightened it. I had been living with squeaky brakes for years - and whenever i mentioned it at the service or MOT the garages just dimissed it. Now there is no more squeaking from the brakes and the car is driving better than it ever has. Thanks again everyone for your guidance and help.

Back
Top Bottom