Road Cycling

Soldato
Having spent all this past summer doing DIY stuff and getting fat, I've been getting the bike ready for this year and found a nice slit in the sidewall of one of my Schwalbe Ones :rolleyes:.

May as well use the opportunity to size up my tyres a bit - the ones fitted are 25c and I'd like to go up to 28c - I'm 95% sure this is plenty of clearance for a 28c tyre but thought I'd ask opinions before ordering. The tightest part is the chainstays and there is 5mm each side clearance on the current tyre.

Also any recommendations? I liked the Ones, could possibly go for a bit more puncture resistance? Country roads, 90% of riding in good weather. I'd prefer to keep it under £60 for a pair if possible?
What rims you're riding and how wide they are will really govern your fit. GP5000 tend to be the go-to tyre everything is benchmarked against, but you won't (very easily) find many top tyres for ~£30 a tyre without going cheaper.

The GP5000 do balloon quite a bit on wider rims, so may not be the best for you.

I know it's not your frame but there's quite a bit of info in this video from GPLama I ended up watching a week ago where he tests GP5000 28mm (and a Specialized 26mm) on a TCR on various wheelsets for clearance. Some good tips in there on what he governs as a safe clearance and how to measure them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7S6LDCJWKI

Chainstay does look your issue, so a tyre which goes a bit 'tall' won't cause you as many problems as one which balloons wider (like the GP5000)...

Id google your frame and see what others are running up to.
This.

Good eyes!

Not that 27mm tyres are a 'thing'. You don't get many mid-sizes (I drew a bit of a blank finding good 30mm's), although Specialized Turbo's come in 26mm and I think a few of the open tubulars do too?

It really depends what you're looking to get out of them and what you're riding...

Recently sold my car. Should have done it years ago, just a money pit really and I was barely using it especially in the last year.
Good skills ditching the car. I hardly drive ours anymore, only tends to be used in bad weather!

N+1, or you obviously need a cargo bike, a winter bike, an audaxer and a fixie.

Or just get a Gravel bike ;)

Soldato
It really depends what you're looking to get out of them and what you're riding...

I don’t tend to ride in bad weather if I can help it. Mostly out in the sticks on roads and lanes of varying quality.

I went for some 25c GP5000s in the end, I’ve been really happy with the Ones in 25c and if I could have easily for 28s I would have gone for it but the GP5000s sound like they come up a bit big so I’ll try them. Saw a few people saying the Vittorias come up a little bit small.

I did actually find some quite good prices on some more Ones but I felt like trying something new. Cheers for advice :)

And yeah extremely good eyes! Well spotted

Caporegime
Got a good recipe?
Yep here's a couple of recipes I have had for a while now. First one is Keto friendly.

Keto Flapjacks
- 50g butter
- 50g honey
- 250-300g granola (amount here depends on the consistency and "thickness" you want. Again, I make my own and can give you my recipe for that if you like but its easy enough to buy)
- 50g of dark chocolate finely chopped (bear in mind I don't like sweet much at all, so you may prefer to use plain or even milk chocolate)

Just melt (on a very low heat) the butter and honey together, then mix together with the granola and chocolate. You can use a food processor if you want to mush everything up finely, I don't always bother because I enjoy the texture of the granola.

Chuck in a square/rectangular baking tin thats been lined with greaseproof paper and bake for roughly 20 minutes at 180oC (fan, pre heated) then just cut into squares when cooled.

Protein flapjacks
  • 300g oats
  • 100g protein powder (optional)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 220g peanut butter (100% peanut stuff)
  • 10ml vanilla extract
  • 1½ tbsp peanut oil
  • 250ml milk (you can use almond or soy here for example to make these vegan)
  • 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
  • ~2-3 tbsp shredded cranberries to top
Oven up to 180oC again (pre heated). Greaseproof paper in a large rectangular baking tray (I use 20cmx30), mix the dry ingredients first (oats, protein powder, nutmeg and cinnamon), then add the rest of the ingredients one by one until well mixed, except the milk. Once everything is well incorporated, add the milk slowly whilst stirring. Pour into your tray and then bake for around 15-18 minutes. You can add any other seeds if you like but you'd need to increase the baking time a little when adding more things into the mix.

Health(iest) flapjacks
These have no fat, as well as no refined sugar.
  • 50g unsalted butter
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter (100% peanut stuff)
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • 2 mashed and ripe bananas
  • 1 grated apple (peeled)
  • 250g rolled oats
  • 85g dried fruit, chopped (you can use apricots, cranberries, whatever you like. I usually go apricot).
  • 100g raisin
  • 85g pumpkin seeds (and again, anything else you want. Sunflower is good).
Pre heat your oven to 140oC. Line your tin with greaseproof paper.

Heat the butter, peanut butter and honey on a low heat until melted. Then add the mashed banana, apple and 100ml hot water, and mix well.

Then using a large mixing bowl, tip in the oats, dried fruit seeds. Pour over the above mixture, and stir well until everything is coated. Tip into your tray/cake tin and level the surface. Bake for around 55 mins until golden brown (more dried fruit in this recipe so cook much lower but for longer). Leave to cool in the tin and then cut into pieces.

For all of these, store in an airtight container or you can freeze them if you do so quickly once cooled.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t tend to ride in bad weather if I can help it. Mostly out in the sticks on roads and lanes of varying quality.

I went for some 25c GP5000s in the end, I’ve been really happy with the Ones in 25c and if I could have easily for 28s I would have gone for it but the GP5000s sound like they come up a bit big so I’ll try them. Saw a few people saying the Vittorias come up a little bit small.

I did actually find some quite good prices on some more Ones but I felt like trying something new. Cheers for advice :)
I'm sure you won't be disappointed, their predecessors (GP 4000 sII) where so good they became a bit of a benchmark. They are expensive but probably one of the most widest known and ridden tyres around road cycling.

Too much of it and refined? Of course it is!
Ha yes was being a little facetious, but sugar in moderation is really quite good (best way to replace glucose) so quite necessary for performance... Not many of us are really serious enough to become 'keto adapted' (is that what it's called I think?). Avoiding sugars is just so darn hard in modern society, which is probably why exercise is quite key for us too - we generally live such sedentary lives we don't 'need' very much sugar and why it's labelled as so generally 'bad'.

Yep here's a couple of recipes I have had for a while now. First one is Keto friendly.<snip>
Huge thanks for sharing, might be that I'm currently hungry but they sound much easier than I remember so really want to give making them a shot again! Especially the 3rd one! :D

Soldato
Last one of those is similar to Hugh Fearnley Whittinstall one i've used in the past and is very tasty! I usually replace butter with coconut oil nowadays for these sorts of recipes.

Soldato
Caporegime
Last one of those is similar to Hugh Fearnley Whittinstall one i've used in the past and is very tasty! I usually replace butter with coconut oil nowadays for these sorts of recipes.
Yeah we usually us coconut oil as well - just easier to share recipes with butter. I've got some HFW recipe books so its possibly his. I've just had them in my special recipe book for a while and I didn't write down where I got them. I really should!

Caporegime
Ha yes was being a little facetious, but sugar in moderation is really quite good (best way to replace glucose) so quite necessary for performance... Not many of us are really serious enough to become 'keto adapted' (is that what it's called I think?). Avoiding sugars is just so darn hard in modern society, which is probably why exercise is quite key for us too - we generally live such sedentary lives we don't 'need' very much sugar and why it's labelled as so generally 'bad'.
Yes sugar is useful for the body, it's the when and how you get it thats the important thing! Plenty of healthy ways to get it - honey is a perfect sweetner.

Hope people try the above and enjoy - I do tend to reduce sweet amounts in my recipes as I dont have a sweet tooth so don't forget to experiment.

Soldato
What bike is this for? Axiom did a rack that mounted on the QR skewer and behind the brake via the mounting bolt.

You Felt won't have a traditional bridge so maybe some sort of QR mounted rack + a seat clamp like this could be a work around?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36253578...LmztMtoOxbfSFYcqDb3xklNNXNBQUP2caAppWEALw_wcB

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Sea...lxU0I2PrQ09v4Al3YUFhenPOm5AkhXvMaAtxpEALw_wcB
Cube Agree GTC Race. It's basically a beater at this point but I still find it comfy and it does me well. Almost 50k miles.

That look interesting though apparently for 26in wheels. I'll have to check it out a bit more tomorrow. The seatpost is alloy at least.

Soldato
It'll fit anything from 26" to 700c hybrid.

It sits low and to the rear so only issue with the collar is it may be too far away. There will be something that fits though.

Disc or rim brake ?

Soldato
Ah yeah I didn't read title fully.

Rim brake. Fortunately rear clearance is not too bad for brake to wheel. The front is ridiculously thin. Leaves get stuck often.

Soldato
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axiom-St...-/303032897253?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

This one then. Bolts under the QR and the metal bracket mounts under between the brake bolt and the frame. Angled inward for a better clearance and handling.

I was a bit loath to pay £40 shipping and whatever stupid customs charge from the US. Can't find a single UK supplier and the EU suppliers are just saying lolbrexit.

Found this: https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ex-1-disc-read-bike-rack/

Bought one from Amazon warehouse, with apparently just a light scratch. Think I'll combine with one of those seat clamps. Apparently Salsa are good. Not exactly sure how I'm supposed to identify the correct size for my seat? Just measure it? The seatpost itself is 27.2 but obvious adding the carbon tube it's more.

Hopefully it still works with non-disc bikes too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed to go out and get wet the only time it rained this weekend!

Met office claimed drizzle which was fine. I got 50 mins in and then had absolutely massive rainstorm soaked inside 5 minutes! Good job it’s super mild or I’d have frozen to death.

Got home and rinsed the bike off. Cleaned the waxed chain up with boiling water & it looks fantastic. Will rewax it this week.

My Costelli winter bibs, the pad seems to be falling apart... can just see lots of little bits of foam when they come out the washing machine. I’ve probably worn them ~20 times.. I had this happen to an old set and chalked it up to bad luck, but a second time.. hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom