The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
What is the best way to clean the Koda pizza stone? Had a bit of a mishap with some toppings getting onto it and they burnt onto it quite nicely, so I'd like to clean it before using it again.

I just leave it until the next time I am going to cook with it (normally only 3-4 days) by the time it is at temp it has all burnt off and a quick scrape with the peel removes any carbon. I then prep the next pizza and in it goes!

Associate
What is the best way to clean the Koda pizza stone? Had a bit of a mishap with some toppings getting onto it and they burnt onto it quite nicely, so I'd like to clean it before using it again.
I had this issue with my first use due to a mishap with some toppings. Consensus seem to be to flip the stone then let it burn off next time you use it. Mine was so bad that I think it will need a couple of goes to clean it so I'll leave it flipped for the next few uses.

Associate
Right then! I'm planning my first go of the Fyra over the weekend.

Friday
Classic Ooni dough recipe, topped with just mozzarella and basil leaves to keep it simple for now. I'm expecting a few mistakes so have 6 dough balls at my disposal.

Saturday
Obviously I'll be on a honeymoon period with my new toy but cant have pizza twice (can I!?). I'm planning on buying two big rump steaks and throwing them in the Fyra, along with some vegetable kebab skewers. I'll use my large cast iron pizza pan to sit them on.

I have my wood launch peel and a metal turner peel, as well as my thermo gun. How exciting! :D

Soldato
can you effectively make calzone in a uuni ? I'd had thought the radiant infra-red heat you get, off of encapsulating firebricks, in a pizza oven, is needed to get the middle cooked

Soldato
can you effectively make calzone in a uuni ? I'd had thought the radiant infra-red heat you get, off of encapsulating firebricks, in a pizza oven, is needed to get the middle cooked

Pretty much. The cooking temperature needs to be far lower for calzone and deep pan pizzas.

Associate
Right then! I'm planning my first go of the Fyra over the weekend.

Friday
Classic Ooni dough recipe, topped with just mozzarella and basil leaves to keep it simple for now. I'm expecting a few mistakes so have 6 dough balls at my disposal.

Saturday
Obviously I'll be on a honeymoon period with my new toy but cant have pizza twice (can I!?). I'm planning on buying two big rump steaks and throwing them in the Fyra, along with some vegetable kebab skewers. I'll use my large cast iron pizza pan to sit them on.

I have my wood launch peel and a metal turner peel, as well as my thermo gun. How exciting! :D

So....

Friday was a great success and really enjoyed the pizzas. I was also pleased with the Ooni classic dough, in fact I think I could have stretched it further without tearing. I now have a cold ferment batch in the fridge ready for Saturday to a slightly tweaked recipe at 62% hydration.

The steak night wasnt good. Just wasnt getting the heat I needed and I think for two reasons: the cast iron pan was taking up too much space in the oven and also think I fell foul of the wood chips jamming and not burning through properly. It resulted in a tough, grey steak. I'll be sticking with pizzas.
VLSPCI2.jpg
VLSPCI2

VLSPCI2

Associate
Weather's getting better - that means Ooni to back garden position!

Can't wait for the first day when we can sit out and cook pizza in the sunshine.

Soldato
Our Ooni (Koda 16) finally arrives today, we ordered one in the Black Friday sales last November! Just need to finish getting things for it - I was going to get a wood peel for launching and then one of the turners and a metal (perforated) peel for getting out. Is this overkill - better to just start off with the perforated peel?

We'll be doing Neapolitan and NY-style pizza.

Soldato
Our Ooni (Koda 16) finally arrives today, we ordered one in the Black Friday sales last November! Just need to finish getting things for it - I was going to get a wood peel for launching and then one of the turners and a metal (perforated) peel for getting out. Is this overkill - better to just start off with the perforated peel?

We'll be doing Neapolitan and NY-style pizza.
I use the basic ooni metal peel for turning and taking out. For launching I use an offcut of 3mm plywood, refuse to pay silly money for a bit of wood.

Back
Top Bottom