Plusnet Discussion Thread

APM

APM

Associate
Indeed I had an email from them today, to say that some of the entertainment channels will be removed in February and March

The pack I have with BT is being retired and replaced with a Sky bundle which I am not interested in hence why I was asking about plusnet,looks like it's discovery+ for me then.

Associate
So our 18 month contract was up and CS said the best they could do was £27.99pm take it or leave it. We said we would sign up for another 18months for £25pm as it's that and cheaper elsewhere, they wouldn't budge so they quickly submitted the account to close without any fight.
Requested a sign-up to another ISP
and Plusnet get in touch offering £24.99pm if we stayed. Probably down to the individual we spoke to but not good at all.

Man of Honour
After being with them for several years I'm moving to Zen as I'll be moving home and the new place has FTTP. I'd have gladly stayed if Plusnet offered any kind of FTTP. A day or so after I signed up for Zen, they offered the following via email to entice me to stay:

Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband and line rental from £25.99 a month for the first 18 months, then from £41.59 a month. With a £50 cashback cheque. 18 month contract

Soldato
Just moved to TalkTalk from Plusnet after 4 years. It was the issue with the Inflation + 3.9% per anum price increases for me.
However....
I have been throttled since it was installed. They had always refused to accept that stating "we do not throttle customers" "That's the best your line can do" (I had 74Mbs with BT) and you exceed your guaranteed speed" My connected speed was always 54-57 Mbs, Popped on the TalkTalk router after cutover. 65Mbs off the bat.
Also, I have been lulled into appalling CS from Plusnet.
I have an issue with the landline cutover, so I contacted TalkTalk via chat from my account page. I was chatting to CS and then the technical team within 10 mins. Was added to the vulnerable list, reassured and given an Openreach appointment for first thing Monday morning and a call forward within 40 mins.
I know from really painful experiences with Plusnet that I would have still been in a queue...
I think any advantage Plusnet had with fixed price contract's has now gone since their BT overlords have aligned the price structure to theirs to include the annual price increases.

Permabanned
Inflation is a load of bullocks it really is. You don't get a wage payrise so why should contracts go up mid contract when you signed up for it at a certain price.

I refuse to go with any company where there is inflation in their bills mid contract or when they feel like it.

Soldato
[QUOTE="StrongSad, post: 34629231, member: 122278”]
However....
I have been throttled since it was installed. They had always refused to accept that stating "we do not throttle customers" "That's the best your line can do" (I had 74Mbs with BT) and you exceed your guaranteed speed" My connected speed was always 54-57 Mbs, Popped on the TalkTalk router after cutover. 65Mbs off the bat.[/QUOTE]

Your line speed has nothing to do with plusnet so what they told you is true. Your line speed is determine by openreach equipment and is done to a number of factors but mainly due to line length and quality. Line speeds are ‘trained’ by the equipment over time.

When you move providers you trigger a retaining of your line and it may give you higher speeds initially. Eventually I’d expect it to drop back to the same speed you had before. The reason it drops down is likely due to cross talk. Your line is theoretically capable of the 64mb but external influences like cross talk could cut that back over time.

Soldato
[QUOTE="StrongSad, post: 34629231, member: 122278”]
However....
I have been throttled since it was installed. They had always refused to accept that stating "we do not throttle customers" "That's the best your line can do" (I had 74Mbs with BT) and you exceed your guaranteed speed" My connected speed was always 54-57 Mbs, Popped on the TalkTalk router after cutover. 65Mbs off the bat.

Your line speed has nothing to do with plusnet so what they told you is true. Your line speed is determine by openreach equipment and is done to a number of factors but mainly due to line length and quality. Line speeds are ‘trained’ by the equipment over time.

When you move providers you trigger a retaining of your line and it may give you higher speeds initially. Eventually I’d expect it to drop back to the same speed you had before. The reason it drops down is likely due to cross talk. Your line is theoretically capable of the 64mb but external influences like cross talk could cut that back over time.[/QUOTE]

I do know how it works and given the cutover is a software switch in the exchange. My copper from the Cab 50 meters away is unchanged. As I said I was getting 74Mbs when I was with BT, So I know my line is good to that.
Whilst I acknowledge all that you have said, I also know software throttling when I see it.

Soldato
Have you actually got any evidence of that? I’m not a plusnet customer, I really don’t care but it’s unhelpful for other people who may come into the thread who don’t understand how FTTC works.

The line training is done BT openreach’s cab, it’s got nothing to do with plusnet. Your line speed can change over time, e.g. cross talk gets introduced as the cabinet fills up and the speed drops for everyone accordingly.

Your line may have been good for 74mbs at one point but that doesn’t mean it is now. Line quality is dynamic and is absolutely impacted by external influences.

You might see it start to go up again when FTTP gets enabled and the cabinet starts emptying back out. I gained 10mb when they did some engineering work to lay the fibre for FTTP in my road. Who knows what they did, they might have replaced something or just moved some wires around in the ducts but all we know is that me and a few neighbours now get more speed, happy days.

To reiterate Plusnet, Talk Talk, Sky, BT, Zen etc. have zero control over the rate your modem syncs with the cabinet.

Soldato
Just moved house and got Plusnet back on the other day I'm barely getting 24 Mbps compared to what the BT broadband availability checker says?

VDSL Range A (Clean)
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 55.2

Also details from the router

Receive direction Send direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 80000 20000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 28475 7518
Current throughput kbit/s 27316 7504
Seamless rate adaptation
off off

Latency
8 ms fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP)
3 0
G.INP
off off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 7 6
Bitswap on on
Line attenuation dB 22 38
Line Branching 1 1
approximate line length m 722

Profile 17a

G.Vector
off off

Im not really to bothered as Virgin getting installed on the 22nd but its interesting does it take a week to settle down and sort itself out?

Caporegime
It's not going to get much better than that, you're never getting 56Mbps on those stats.

What was your estimate from Plusnet when you signed up? Raise it as a fault.

Soldato
It's not going to get much better than that, you're never getting 56Mbps on those stats.

What was your estimate from Plusnet when you signed up? Raise it as a fault.

Its crazy the cabinet is just around the corner it was much further away in my old house and was getting nearly 50 Mbps.

I dont know the estimate I just transferred over currently out of contract with PN so staying on a month by month contract until Virgin installed.

Back
Top Bottom