What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Monster Hunter

Hmmm, it's terrible, but hardly a surprise coming from the poisoned pen and directng 'skills' of Paul W. S. Anderson, he should have stopped at Event Horizon.

Milla is getting on a bit now, looks ok for her age but her wooden acting far outweighs any eye candy she once had. Tony Jaa is completely wasted on this but probably the best thing about it. The monster CGI seemd ok but some of the environmental CGI was a bit ropey.

And holy ****, Ron Perlman's hair, a sight to behold!

They shouldn't have killed off the Army squad at the very beginning, some reasonably likeable characters there.

3/10... just!

Soldato
Monster Hunter

Hmmm, it's terrible, but hardly a surprise coming from the poisoned pen and directng 'skills' of Paul W. S. Anderson, he should have stopped at Event Horizon.

Milla is getting on a bit now, looks ok for her age but her wooden acting far outweighs any eye candy she once had. Tony Jaa is completely wasted on this but probably the best thing about it. The monster CGI seemd ok but some of the environmental CGI was a bit ropey.

And holy ****, Ron Perlman's hair, a sight to behold!

They shouldn't have killed off the Army squad at the very beginning, some reasonably likeable characters there.

3/10... just!

Agree with most of this, its was bad, not the worst to come out recently but bad, Milla from Fifth Element was great, not so much now she's well into her 40s.

Generally the quality of films the past year has been pretty dire, obviously covid had something to do with that, but honestly where are the good films!

Soldato
The main thing that made my wife and I laugh about Monster Hunter was the stupid amount of physical punishment that Mills and Tony were able to absorb/shrug off. It makes "Primal" look realistic.
But, as someone else said, Ron's hair. Oh, and the cat chef. And that was the mid credit sequence?! LOL.

Associate
Morning Glory - A lively young TV news producer (Rachael McAdams) gets a shot at turning around a failing New York breakfast show. She drafts in a grumpy former 'serious news' journalist Harrison Ford to present alongside Diane Keaton, and struggles to get the project to work. Surprisingly enjoyable, and a decent performance in an unusual role for Ford. 8/10.

State of Play - Russell Crowe as a journalist, investigating a DC politician implicated in murder. Completely forgettable, struggled to keep it on in the background. 3/10.

Soldato
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Watched this the other day and had a wobbly lip and bit of grit in my eye by the end. I totally got lost in the feelings it managed to bring to the surface for the one I hold close to me, very strange to explain and it may have nothing to do with the film.

Anyway, I really enjoyed something that looked a bit different, sounded different (next to no music, replaced by crackles of fire, brush on canvas, charcoal on paper, wind and sea) and some unrelatable characters (for me) sharing some very relatable feelings of uncontrollable love.

8/10

Soldato
I Care A Lot,

new film on prime with Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage, quite surprised by this, good story and pacing and didn't end as I expected it would.

Makes me wonder just how often this sort of thing actually happens in the US.

Solid 7 maybe 8 out of 10 from me.

Caporegime
I Care a Lot. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9893250/

Saw it mentioned above and seeing as I've quite enjoyed Pike in other movies, I thought I'd give it a go.

And as said, it has a good, engaging story and I also didn't expect things to wrap up the way they did.

I did wonder if this was based, very loosely, on the 1971/2 Peter Sellars film - Where Does it Hurt? Good movie, well, in a way, and based on true events.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069497/

Last edited:
Associate
Monster Hunter.

Oh dear.

I want my 1hr 40 odd minutes back.

Totally mindless, utterly forgettable.

4/10 only for Milla and the CGI.

I actually liked this very much the fights in it with Mila very good considering she is not as young as she once was, a nice action scfi/fantasy film all round 7-8 /10 from me.

Caporegime
Anna and the Apocalypse - 7/10

I completely missed the musical part of this so I was quite surprised when they started singing. It's sort of like Shaun of the Dead mixed with Attack the Block meets Glee. Weirdly it kind of worked, the songs were actually pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom