** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hard to believe they will be flying a little drone helicopter around on Mars shortly. What a time to be alive.

I say they, the AI will be doing the flying, they simply map out its flight paths. Not very high mind, only 3-5 metres off the surface but it will also be taking photos.

Soldato
Hard to believe they will be flying a little drone helicopter around on Mars shortly. What a time to be alive.

I say they, the AI will be doing the flying, they simply map out its flight paths. Not very high mind, only 3-5 metres off the surface but it will also be taking photos.

They also have one planned for Titan too, Dragonfly, but that isn't planned to launch until 2027 and will not reach Titan until 2036.

Soldato
Well I never knew we had a thread on space!

Agree with all of the comments, what a remarkable feat of science and engineering. It appeared to go like clockwork and I loved the simulation that was using the live telemetry.

I only just got round to watching the Netflix series on challenger and when you think of the advances with this, Space X etc. it really is an exciting time for space exploration!

Soldato
I'm just glad my name made it safely, I wonder if in a few thousand years we'll have archaeologists on Mars finding the Rover and the chips with names on and wondering about us like we wonder about ancient Greeks and Egyptians ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Few little nice quirks of the staff at JPL when the livestream was happening, the This Is Fine meme dog plushie holding a Hot Wheels model of the rover, along with the long standing tradition of Good Luck peanuts featuring in the background :D

We will get video of the full descent as well, there are 21 cameras onboard and a buch of them were recording the landing along with audio too. It's gonna take some time to receive that media though.

Soldato
I'm just glad my name made it safely, I wonder if in a few thousand years we'll have archaeologists on Mars finding the Rover and the chips with names on and wondering about us like we wonder about ancient Greeks and Egyptians ?

Or alternatively Aliens find the names and know who to directly blame for the "invasion" of their home planet, kicking off our 1st inter-planetary war! Damn You Mr & Mrs Delvis, you've killed us all!!!!!!!! :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
When did the name thing become live? I recall putting my name into something space related ages ago but forgot exactly what. Might have been this!

Caporegime
Or alternatively Aliens find the names and know who to directly blame for the "invasion" of their home planet, kicking off our 1st inter-planetary war! Damn You Mr & Mrs Delvis, you've killed us all!!!!!!!! :D

Hey hey HEY!

Ok, you win...

When did the name thing become live? I recall putting my name into something space related ages ago but forgot exactly what. Might have been this!

Look here: https://mars.nasa.gov/participate/send-your-name/frequent

Using the other option doesn't work for me.

Capodecina
Soldato
Sorry, I find this whole Mars exploration thing quite incredible; such a pointless, self-indulgent, irresponsible, time and money wasting exercise when we do actually have challenges here on Earth:
  • Climate change
  • Hunger
  • Poverty
  • Disease
Utter madness :rolleyes:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Sorry, I find this whole Mars exploration thing quite incredible; such a pointless, self-indulgent, irresponsible, time and money wasting exercise when we do actually have challenges here on Earth:
  • Climate change
  • Hunger
  • Poverty
  • Disease
Utter madness :rolleyes:

Isn't ignorance great?

Many technologies, medical advances and products are now used in everyday life back on Earth. They came to be because they were developed initially for space travel or were discovered through R&D in space either on the ISS or for longer range missions.

Aside from all the uplift in mental positivity people get from successes like Mars 2020 mission etc, here are a handful of major benefits to humanity back on earth from NASA's efforts alone: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/15_ways_iss_benefits_earth

So yes, fundamentally NASA ARE helping with all of those points one way or other and at the same time infusing ambition in a younger generation each time who will grow up to be just as exceptional.

Imagine if everyone was like you though, the world would make no actual progress with that kind of opinion being thrown around.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Isn't ignorance great?

Many technologies, medical advances and products are now used in everyday life back on Earth. They came to be because they were developed initially for space travel or were discovered through R&D in space either on the ISS or for longer range missions.

Aside from all the uplift in mental positivity people get from successes like Mars 2020 mission etc, here are a handful of major benefits to humanity back on earth from NASA's efforts alone: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/15_ways_iss_benefits_earth

So yes, fundamentally NASA ARE helping with all of those points one way or other and at the same time infusing ambition in a younger generation each time who will grow up to be just as exceptional.

Imagine if everyone was like you though, the world would make no actual progress with that kind of opinion being thrown around.
+1

Exactly what came to mind when I read his post. If anything we should increase the budget of these space agencies.

Back
Top Bottom