Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
You sure it isn't apocalypse hair? My lids started giving me a headache when riding whilst I had hippy hair a while back!

I initially bought the same size as before, same manufacturer too (Shark) and couldn’t get it on at all, no amount of wrestling was going to fit it over my noggin. I was really confused.

I’m beginning to wonder if my last helmet was incorrectly sized and is in fact a medium and not a small.

Thankfully sportbikeshop have excellent returns.

Man of Honour
I initially bought the same size as before, same manufacturer too (Shark) and couldn’t get it on at all, no amount of wrestling was going to fit it over my noggin. I was really confused.

I’m beginning to wonder if my last helmet was incorrectly sized and is in fact a medium and not a small.

Thankfully sportbikeshop have excellent returns.
How long ago did you buy the old one? A year or 2 ago I tried to replace my 2 year old Shark S900 with exactly the same model/size and the shape/size was so wildly different it was painful as soon as I put the new one on my head.

Soldato
Anyone have tips for earplugs? I usually use 3M one-use ones but find them tedious to put in (standing there with fingers in ears waiting for them to expand, looks like the bike noise is hurting my ears) and remembering to take packets with me. I tried a few reusable ones from Amazon a while ago but they were either uncomfortable after 5 minutes or got pulled out when I put the helmet on.

Man of Honour
Anyone have tips for earplugs? I usually use 3M one-use ones but find them tedious to put in (standing there with fingers in ears waiting for them to expand, looks like the bike noise is hurting my ears) and remembering to take packets with me. I tried a few reusable ones from Amazon a while ago but they were either uncomfortable after 5 minutes or got pulled out when I put the helmet on.
I use Flare Audio metal ones, the tips expand really quickly so there's no standing around waiting for them to be ready and I find them much more comfortable than disposable foam ones even after riding for a few hours. My pairs just live in the inside pocket of my jackets.

Soldato
This is the best solution but not cheap https://www.ultimateear.com/product/squidgy-motorcyclist/ (+£30 for a mould). I have a pair of standard ones and some with speakers in and they’re great. My Mrs has some for sleeping in too. You get the mould local and send it off, a bit of a faff but worth it.

Normal plugs will work fine they’re just not as convenient. Make sure you are putting them in properly, roll them up and lift the top of your ear upwards to straighten your ear canal. Also make sure you’re not constantly re-using the same foam plugs, they’re not designed to be reused loads of times.

Associate
I've got the ultimate ear, both the standalone above, the sleeping ones (more hollow, lighter) and ones wired for sound. I went to their office Kent way to get them moulded. Nice bunch.

I've also got the Flare Audio metal and soft ones. I'd lost them until reading the above and checked my summer jacket, found them there hurrah!

Since I've stopped riding every day I feel like my ears have got used to not having stuff shoved in (I had the moulded ones somewhat deeper than they normally do) and it's gets a bit uncomfortable after more than an hour or so. Might need to think about getting them shallower next time!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

General tip: moulds are good but don’t rely on them for years on end. Eventually your ears will adapt to the moulds and change shape.

I wouldn’t recommend sleeping in them :eek:

^ just saw that post. Case in point.

Associate
General tip: moulds are good but don’t rely on them for years on end. Eventually your ears will adapt to the moulds and change shape.

I wouldn’t recommend sleeping in them :eek:

^ just saw that post. Case in point.

Good point. My right ear plug started to let sound in a couple years ago, that was about... 8 years after the first mould. Maybe 7 as I'm lazy. So re-mould every few years recommended. Which if they're wired can be a bit spendy.

My ones for sleeping are shallower and however they are made are so much more comfortable.

Man of Honour
Got out on the 125 on Saturday for the first time in a few weeks. Felt great to be out again. Still loving it. Loving it even more now my hands don't become icicles :)

Soldato
Suppose I should think about putting an MOT on mine, it's sorned and untaxed since end of the season last year.

I'm not even sure if I can legally ride it to the bike garage for the MOT, I'm guessing not.

Soldato
Tiger got blown over for the second time today, looks like the handguards and crash bars saved the day again, just need to sand down the rough exposed metal a bit and get some Black spray paint on them.

I really should take the cover off when the wind gets this bad, the bike hardly moves without a cover.

Soldato
I'm going to sell my YBR125.
Due to a change in work, I only rode 1000 miles last year (and that was all before the change). And it's unlikely I'll put any miles in it this year.
Plus with my CBT running out in May, I doubt there will be availability to do my full licence before then, if they're even open by then.
Then when I even get back around to riding again, I will want to go for a 300-650cc bike because of the lack of motorway use and it being so slow getting to 60mph.
It's just had an MOT and new chain and both front and rear sprockets so selling shouldn't be an issue, and prices are slightly inflated right now so a reasonably good time to sell.

Back
Top Bottom