** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . Imagine if everyone was like you though, the world would make no actual progress with that kind of opinion being thrown around.
Yes, just imagine.

We would be able to invest more money, time and energy in R&D into some things of value to humanity. To have progressed R&D into things like combating climate change, hunger, poverty, unsustainable population growth and disease.

Who knows, people might actually have done something before the Earth suffered the Covid-19 Pandemic - back when we knew that it was likely to happen and ignored the inconvenient results - 2015 I think in the case of the UK :eek:

Soldato
Sorry, I find this whole Mars exploration thing quite incredible; such a pointless, self-indulgent, irresponsible, time and money wasting exercise when we do actually have challenges here on Earth:
  • Climate change
  • Hunger
  • Poverty
  • Disease
Utter madness :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but this is narrow minded...

Isn't ignorance great?

Many technologies, medical advances and products are now used in everyday life back on Earth. They came to be because they were developed initially for space travel or were discovered through R&D in space either on the ISS or for longer range missions.

Aside from all the uplift in mental positivity people get from successes like Mars 2020 mission etc, here are a handful of major benefits to humanity back on earth from NASA's efforts alone: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/15_ways_iss_benefits_earth

So yes, fundamentally NASA ARE helping with all of those points one way or other and at the same time infusing ambition in a younger generation each time who will grow up to be just as exceptional.

Imagine if everyone was like you though, the world would make no actual progress with that kind of opinion being thrown around.

+1

Absolutely agree, there are so many benefits including both science and technological advances.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Sorry, I find this whole Mars exploration thing quite incredible; such a pointless, self-indulgent, irresponsible, time and money wasting exercise when we do actually have challenges here on Earth:
  • Climate change
  • Hunger
  • Poverty
  • Disease

This is troll right...

Hunger & Poverty is political
Disease is with us for ever, no escaping nature and mutation.
Climate change is development in process and discovery using science.

So quite frankly you need to educate yourself.

Soldato
  • Climate change
  • Hunger
  • Poverty
  • Disease

Why are sat at your computer on this forum while you could be out there making the world a better place yourself?

Soldato
Does
  • Climate change
  • Hunger
  • Poverty
  • Disease

Daft comment, and easily solved:
  • Climate change - Stop voting for right wing goverments (in our case the torys)
  • Hunger - Stop voting for right wing goverments (in our case the torys)
  • Poverty - Stop voting for right wing goverments (in our case the torys)
  • Disease - Stop voting for right wing goverments (in our case the torys) - but also this is more chance, however a science driven leadership would do more, faster to try and stop disease and put real funding into the NHS

Right! back to space !

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Back on topic - does anyone know roughly what day/time we'll get some of that amazing landing footage from Perseverance?

The high gain antenna is capable of 150 to 3000 bits/second sending media back to Earth depending on which size of the two dishes back on Earth is receiving and overall conditions.

To receive a 1GB data chunk it will take 30 days minimum in optimal conditions!

I imagine like with the first images, the first videos sent will be low res ones in the MB size range along with audio so those should be uploaded to the raw media site in coming days: https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/

Soldato
Yes, just imagine.

We would be able to invest more money, time and energy in R&D into some things of value to humanity. To have progressed R&D into things like combating climate change, hunger, poverty, unsustainable population growth and disease.

Who knows, people might actually have done something before the Earth suffered the Covid-19 Pandemic - back when we knew that it was likely to happen and ignored the inconvenient results - 2015 I think in the case of the UK :eek:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, and breathe..

There is already enough money around to solve the hunger/poverty problems, but people don't care, either through corruption, lack of empathy, wasted food and so on, us making things that go into space and visit other planets has nothing to do with that..
Population growth, lets all do the one child thing they did in China, oh no, human rights trump that one.
Disease, yeah, lets all get vaccinated, oh no we can't do that either because of religion or "personal choice" with the antivaxx brigade harping on about shizz..

Its almost like you haven't spent much time on this planet..

Soldato
The high gain antenna is capable of 150 to 3000 bits/second sending media back to Earth depending on which size of the two dishes back on Earth is receiving and overall conditions.

Is that relaying through MRN or directly from rover to earth?
As i've always they assumed they relay traffic, or rather store and transmit, as bandwidth is a tad higher (iirc, 5mbps or so) from MRN.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Soldato
I also don't understand the sending of samples? This is still theoretical right as NASA were still talking about how to do this last year? Is the hope here that they will collect them, put them on the surface for another mission in the near future? but nothings being currently made to actually do that?

Soldato
I also don't understand the sending of samples? This is still theoretical right as NASA were still talking about how to do this last year? Is the hope here that they will collect them, put them on the surface for another mission in the near future? but nothings being currently made to actually do that?

Yeap, thats the idea. At a later date a yet to be invented device will collect these core sample and fly them home (or to an orbiting device) to be analysed, but thats all far in the future.

Soldato
  • Climate change
  • Hunger
  • Poverty
  • Disease

I think you'll find once we've ruined this planet we'll be looking for the next one to destroy so this is vital work.

Soldato
lolstockhausen

You realise space based advances have helped us understand Climate change right? Guess we shouldn't do anything that involves leaving out atmosphere because all our problems are here on the ground.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: What ignorance.

Associate
Ay9j2fE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom