Does anyone actually enjoy playing games anymore!?

Soldato
Yes single player games all the way - no hackers, no cheaters, no false accusations of cheating when I win, no russian kids screaming, no lag. Why do people play multiplayer games again? If you are not playing with a group of friends, I recall them being stressful, laggy and annoying.

Soldato
I don't enjoy it like I used to - but it does take more from a game these days to grab me in an age where games seem to be much more slapped together carelessly than ever.

I'll agree with this; so many games are style over substance these days, but ultimately, great gameplay, music, tension, atmosphere etc, these are the things that keep you coming back. Many games these days are much more throwaway experiences, despite the ever increasing possibilities of what can be done. The joys of design by committee in many cases!

That said, there are games that go the other way, tried to play FFX HD Remaster recently, and absolutely hated some of the design decisions which blatantly feel like they have been pushed in to pad the game out. Just not fun, especially now I have played so many other JRPGs that this sort of thing becomes obvious.

This said, I do often dig into the settings; simply because if a game is noticeably setup wrong, or stuttering and hitching a lot, it really does break your immersion. Despite digging around in the settings however, I'll still happily go back and play older games with older graphics and sound, as long as they dont suffer from obvious hitching or really horrendously poor framerates that makes it torturous to play. A lot of older games on console didnt have great framerates for example, but sometimes the lower framerate was at least very stable, so it still FELT ok.

Some games these days just FEEL awful; and I think its those games you tend to end up trying to tweak more simply because you can, and want the best experience possible with the hardware you have - it's a slippery slope!

Suspended
Yes, but not as much as I used too.

Currently played Subnautica: Below Zero., Cyberpunk 2077 was enjoyable despite the bugs and short storyline. Regularly go back to Civilization VI and XCom 2 replaying GTA IV when time permits.

I got bored of Horizon Zero Dawn, the combat was too chaotic and got boring after a while, I used to enjoy the Assassins Creed games but they've tweaked the combat too much now, it plays nothing like the previous games and the visuals are not impressive at all.

Associate
I’m kinda bored of most of the games made these days. I spend more time tinkering with overclocks and ram timings etc. than I do gaming. I guess that’s become more of a hobby to me these days. Although I did just download Yuzu the Nintendo switch emulator and have been playing mario odyssey with my young son and having a great time with that. More so than the so called great cyberpunk 2077.

Soldato
Haven't looked forward to a new PC game in years. Flight Sim 2020 has been the only game I've purchased on release and/or paid full price for in.....maybe a decade. And that turned out to be a buggy mess that I spent most of the time trying to get to work properly, and when it did I was underwhelmed anyway.

On the plus side, there are a lot of great older games to be had on sale. I just have a whole bunch of stuff in my Steam wishlist, and when they drop in price or are on special I grab them. Currently playing Project Cars 2 to death, and got New Colossus for next to nothing on the weekend Steam special.

So, in answer to the question, "yes, I do" - but only if I don't have to risk paying full price :)

Associate
Yes single player games all the way - no hackers, no cheaters, no false accusations of cheating when I win, no russian kids screaming, no lag. Why do people play multiplayer games again? If you are not playing with a group of friends, I recall them being stressful, laggy and annoying.
110% right there on that one mate ...

Soldato
I get bored of games way easy these days tbh. What brings me back to some is generally the social side with mates and having a laugh and the odd one that has a decent ish story (not often, like the first two metro games or similar). And I play some RTS and RTT games basically.

Older games generally I find more, even things like the original Command & Conquer I enjoy more than a lot of the more modern titles.

Associate
I echo what others say about many modern games being all graphics and less gameplay now.

I am enjoying single player a lot right now. I never look forward to getting to the end of a game i'm enjoying as having to find another game to play after is the issue, so much stuff to shift through. And i'm a scrooge. Still waiting for RE3 to go on sale for a tenner :D

Soldato
maybe I'm getting old, but I'm bored stupid with all the first person shooter clones & don't bother online because it's so toxic.
Kind of pick & choose "different" games now, recently finished Inside which was simply beautiful & thought provoking, Cyberpunk which was pretty boring after the first couple of hours & just picked up Ori which looks promising.
Still enjoy gaming, but need something a bit different now.

Associate
Still love gaming and have done for the last 40 years. I have to admit though that for the last year or so I have been leaning heavily towards older games and replying classics rather than playing anything new.

GZ Doom
QuakeXP
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Soldier Of Fortune
Dead Space Series
Metro Redux
Prey
Borderlands 2
RES 4
RES 5

Even if I do play newer games they seem to be more old school style like the excellent DUSK and Amid Evil.

Associate
I find it hard to enjoy games nowadays unless its something mindblowing. Most new games seem to be rinse and repeat of older games or other games. The creativity feels like its gone from new games.

Soldato
Classic gaming only here too - not sure if it's an age thing or the type of games being released now (I seemed to stop playing early 2000's). I don't mind too much as there are a lot of gems out there and still finding new old (+the replay ability is surprisingly good).
I do miss tinkering with my old skt.A / 939 rig - thought of doing it now (with new equip) is just not appealing for some reason. So i'm probably not a good market as an end user really :D can't blame the suppliers for chasing the £'s but it was nice to live through the era where quality vs profit was a little more balanced.
Recently finished Planescape Torment again and that really is a masterpiece , I would love if there were more games like being made. I've been impressed by the 'enhanced versions' of similar games and most of recent purchases have been for this.

Associate
Indie games or old school is were it's at at the moment. The trouble is with the AAA titles is they have to maximize profits due to the costs of development so have to appeal to everybody so they tend to play it safe with old ideas and nothing new. I find indie games far more interesting and unique.

Back
Top Bottom