What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
That damn Speedy is a nightmare. I really wish an AD was open and I could just go take a look at one and hopefully, don't like it. :p
Unfortunately you'll love the speedy. It's awesome. It's an absolute strap monster too :)

I'm currently trying to resist a Seiko SP143 or maybe consider a

Man of Honour
What's that watch roll? Looks like a rolled up non-slip mat? :D

I think my collection is complete. nothing too fancy, nothing too bare either/ I think just right for my ever changing tastes.

SoTC_2021.02.18.jpg
Love the Baltic.

Soldato
Casio have really upped their game recently. Before I splashed out on my Oris I was seriously tempted by various Edifices. I loved the idea of Bluetooth syncing the time with your phone. Plus generally they look great! I think I’ll get one at some point this year.

Associate
I really like the Captain Cook, and though I'm less fussed on the rest of the range they are meant to build solid watches.
They are yet another part of the Swatch Group, but then there aren't that many true independents left, at least not from the established Swiss brands so it shouldn't really make a difference.
I'm not sure how autonomous the brands are but they certainly have a fairly unique style and benefit from the parent companies buying power etc.

Soldato
I really like the Captain Cook, and though I'm less fussed on the rest of the range they are meant to build solid watches.
They are yet another part of the Swatch Group, but then there aren't that many true independents left, at least not from the established Swiss brands so it shouldn't really make a difference.
I'm not sure how autonomous the brands are but they certainly have a fairly unique style and benefit from the parent companies buying power etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My perfect watch is the speedmaster, but I'm not really comfortable spending what they cost.

Man of Honour
Can't ever get rid of either of them now as both have that specialness about them especially the build quality and vintage nautical presence :D
I actually meant the silver/black one. But the more I look at the blue/gold one the more I like it too.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's bronze not gold! Patina hasn't had time to set in yet but it's slowly getting there :D

Rado are brilliant, I really like the Captain Cook^

Soldato
I will get better at this, I promise - but some quick pics of what I have!

taQvndu.jpg

PryPbP0.jpg
The Omega in the centre is my Dads. It has a dubious history! I had it fully restored by SwissTime. The dial has a very unique marbling patina. I age it around mid 1970's.

Soldato
That's bronze not gold! Patina hasn't had time to set in yet but it's slowly getting there :D

Rado are brilliant, I really like the Captain Cook^

So tempted to order the rado. Really lovely looking watch. Just a little worried it might be on the big side. I guess I have a couple of weeks to send it back for a refund. Will mull it over :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Didn't realise the Hyperchrome was 45mm :eek: - The lugs appear to curve down though so maybe it wears smaller than the size suggests?

That vintage Omega must be worth a bit!

Soldato

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
15mm+ :o Yeah that's not slipping below a sleeve is it lol

Since photographing watches came up a few times here I have been playing around with easy watch photography anyone can try, all you need is a modern phone camera and the light from your computer monitor. No other light source needed.

As posted on reddit:

I am using just a Galaxy S20 for these shots in the normal automatic mode but set to the 2x zoom mode which kicks the autofocus into macro mode and you can get much closer to the watch and capture details that would otherwise be lost in the default wider shot which uses the wide lens as opposed to the telephoto for macro.

I always have a light source when shooting watches, in this case the room lights are off and only the monitor is on with a maximised window of a white website (Google/Gmail etc). This allows me to get a slight kicker off the edge of the watch crystal which gives depth to the dial and on boxed crystals or ones with blue AR, looks really professional.

Have a play with angles and distances and see what you come up with, you could spend all day playing around with different ideas. could even put fairy lights on the desk so they turn into bokeh balls in the shot too to add that further pro camera look.

Set-up:
20210219_205151.jpg

Results:
monitor-light_baltic-sb01_20210219_204253.jpg
monitor-light_baltic-bronze20210219_203054.jpg

monitor-light_laco_20210219_205546.jpg
monitor-light_hamilton_20210219_205928.jpg

Associate
15mm+ :o Yeah that's not slipping below a sleeve is it lol

Since photographing watches came up a few times here I have been playing around with easy watch photography anyone can try, all you need is a modern phone camera and the light from your computer monitor. No other light source needed.

Yeah it works really well. Another thing I've ,messed about with is using full screen images that blend colours e.g. autumn leaves to provide a colour cast to the reflections which can produce some interesting effects.

Back
Top Bottom