US: The Wire USA TV show

Man of Honour
Season 1 I found OK - I don't get the hype but it wasn't bad - season 2 was about as interesting as watching paint dry for me and I don't think I bothered after that.

Soldato
Season 1 I found OK - I don't get the hype but it wasn't bad - season 2 was about as interesting as watching paint dry for me and I don't think I bothered after that.
That’s a shame because series 3 onwards are the best in my opinion. I’m rewatching it all now and I think The Wire is great but even I’m dreading series 2... it’s so dull.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think series 2 is also where I left it. It became a slog and was only watching as it was the big thing at the time.

Went throught the same with Mad Men. Bought the boxset, made it half way through the 3rd series and just thought "Why am I watching this".

Associate
^ I was exactly the same, 3 episodes in, hence why I started this thread.

Hopefully it can keep the hype.
It's the show that started my 4 episode rule. I wasn't really enjoying it, and was going to stop watching, I probably would have if I hadn't been watching along with friends, until I watched episode 4, then it all kind of clicked into place for me. There are some truly great stories and scenes in it, but it can also be slow and methodical, as they are (for the most part) trying to keep it as real as possible.

So now I try and give new shows 4 episodes to see if they grab me, unless they are absolutely awful and are unlikely to improve.

Soldato
Season 2 is both slow and cumbersome and quietly brilliant. The tale of a man trying to do the right thing for his people as the world and industry shifts around them is... well, brilliantly done. I cried at the denouement. But then I cry when Bambi's mum gets snuffed, so that's no useful barometer.

As others say though, The Wire is not something you can take your eyes off. It demands and deserves close attention, and most of us struggle with that these days. I find it easier to engage with stuff like The Bridge and Gomorrah now, because the subtitles force me to. The new series of Unforgotten is on ITV and that (I discovered late) is a brilliant series too. But I may have to put the subtitles on that as well, to force myself back into the attention habit.

One thing I must say though, is that comparisons between The Shield and this are... well... just not on. :) The Shield is like Breaking Bad, brilliant in a comic book, OTT kind of way, but not realistic at all. The Wire is 'boring' at first glance because it's totally believable and refuses to take short cuts to get to to the dramatic payoff. Which is why, when those payoffs come, they are exquisite.

Edit: for too many toos.

Last edited:
Associate
Greatest show ever, if struggling treat it like a ten hour film. I love season two despite the criticisms but I live close to a port and have always loved container ships and dock areas.
I’ve stopped recommending it to people as they expect something that will hook them early on so most tend to give up, it’ll always find the right audience.

Associate
Greatest show ever, if struggling treat it like a ten hour film. I love season two despite the criticisms but I live close to a port and have always loved container ships and dock areas.
I’ve stopped recommending it to people as they expect something that will hook them early on so most tend to give up, it’ll always find the right audience.
Agreed, you need to stick with it, plus each series adds more depth and ends up more like a 50 hour movie.

Season 2 is my favourite as well. Easy to feel sympathy for Frank and the dockers, plus its worth it for the Omar court scene alone.

Plus if anyone fancies rewatching, the version on Sky / Nowtv looks like its the remastered 16/9 1080p from the last few years.

Last edited:
Soldato
The actress who played her, Felicia Pearson, is from Baltimore.
If you want to see a good Baltimore based series, seek out “Homicide, Life on the Street.” Its top notch.
Interesting character old Felicia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicia_Pearson
Pearson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the daughter of two incarcerated drug addicts, and was raised in an East Baltimore foster home. Born a premature crack baby weighing three pounds, she was not expected to live. She was so small that she was fed with an eyedropper until she could be fed normally. According to her memoir, Grace After Midnight, she met her biological parents very few times, her mother was a crack addict, and her father was an armed robber. As a result of this, she decided to go by her foster family's surname.

Pearson was a tomboy from a young age and worked as a drug dealer as a teenager. At the age of sixteen, she was convicted of second degree murder after the shooting of a girl named Okia Toomer and was sentenced to two eight-year terms, to be served consecutively, at the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women in Jessup, Maryland.She was released after six and a half years.

Pearson said her life turned around at the age of eighteen, when Arnold Loney, a local drug dealer who looked out for her and sent her money in prison, was shot and killed. He had coined her nickname "Snoop," because she reminded him of Charlie Brown's beagle Snoopy in the comic strip Peanuts.While in prison, Pearson earned her GED. She was released in 2000, and landed a local job fabricating car bumpers, but was fired after two weeks when her employer learned she had a prison record.
On March 10, 2011, Pearson and sixty others were arrested and charged with drug offenses. The arrest was made during a predawn raid at her home in Baltimore, following a five-month DEA operation. At the first hearing after Pearson's arrest, Judge John Addison Howard denied her bail due to Pearson's acting ability, stating: "Well, you can change your appearance, I've seen the episodes of The Wire in which you appear. You look very different than you do here today, and I'm not talking about the jumpsuit, I'm talking about your general appearance." After a month in jail, Pearson was offered bail of $50,000 on April 8, 2011. In August 2011, she pleaded guilty to the charges the day before her trial was to begin. She was sentenced to a suspended seven-year prison term, with credit for time served, and given three years of supervised probation.

Back
Top Bottom