Wait for 30x GPU Laptops?

Soldato
Is there any more news on when OcUK will be listing the Strix SCAR 17 with QHD display?

I was tempted to get the RBP17 for a 17” QHD display, but the keyboard looks naff.

Associate
Does that have a normal GPU? I mean the 130W is a good one for a 3070, not the best, but not butchered to be a waste of time?

I keep reading bits and bobs but get very confused.. some say ASUS have crippled all their cards.

It's a bit of a minefield at the moment all the 30 series laptops seem to be compromised in some way. The Asus ones don't have a mux switch to bypass optimus, I had ordered a ge66 but decided to cancel it and wait until there are more choices.

Associate
It's a bit of a minefield at the moment all the 30 series laptops seem to be compromised in some way. The Asus ones don't have a mux switch to bypass optimus, I had ordered a ge66 but decided to cancel it and wait until there are more choices.

Ive read about Optimus, is that not something you can uninstall then without his MUX? And how much does not having it, hurt the laptop?

I like the pricepoint, but i dont want to regret it in a month or 2 because ive rushed into a spec that I think ill like.

Associate
Does that have a normal GPU? I mean the 130W is a good one for a 3070, not the best, but not butchered to be a waste of time?

I keep reading bits and bobs but get very confused.. some say ASUS have crippled all their cards.

It’s a MaxP equivalent for this gen, 115w + 15w boost TGP. The Lenovo legion 5 pro that’s coming out supposedly in March has 125+15 and a qhd screen at a £1700-1800 price point. I’m in a quandary as to whether to wait for it or not, as I need a laptop ASAP, the ASUS in stock is tempting...

Associate
It’s a MaxP equivalent for this gen, 115w + 15w boost TGP. The Lenovo legion 5 pro that’s coming out supposedly in March has 125+15 and a qhd screen at a £1700-1800 price point. I’m in a quandary as to whether to wait for it or not, as I need a laptop ASAP, the ASUS in stock is tempting...

That 10w extra will give a lot more benefit?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Ive read about Optimus, is that not something you can uninstall then without his MUX? And how much does not having it, hurt the laptop?

I like the pricepoint, but i dont want to regret it in a month or 2 because ive rushed into a spec that I think ill like.

It's swings and roundabouts with the Asus method. Using Optimus and running each frame through the AMD IGP instead of direct to the display actually means they can use freesync meaning no screen tearing as the display Hz syncs with the fps. You can also bypass Optimus if you really want to by using the displayport capable usb-c port to connect to an external monitor if you really want to squeeze out those last few frames from the GPU.

It also depends on what type of games you play. It generally affects the higher FPS e-sports type games the most, where a lot of load is normally on the CPU pushing data to the GPU, but as Optimus uses CPU cycles it means less for the game, so those take a bigger hit. If your game is more GPU bound then Optimus being on will have less of an impact.

Associate
That 10w extra will give a lot more benefit?

A little, but not the main reason I’m thinking of waiting, the Lenovo has qhd screen, slightly thinner and lighter and a bit more understated looks than the Asus at pretty much the same price point as the 300hz 1080p asus, these are the main appealing reasons to wait for me. I’m feeling impatient tho...

Associate
A little, but not the main reason I’m thinking of waiting, the Lenovo has qhd screen, slightly thinner and lighter and a bit more understated looks than the Asus at pretty much the same price point as the 300hz 1080p asus, these are the main appealing reasons to wait for me. I’m feeling impatient tho...

Yeah that sounds good. How soon till we get those then?

Are Lenovo known for good gaming builds?

Back
Top Bottom