*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Soldato
Then cross your fingers. It's all you can do. Nobody knows why it's OK on some PCs and bugged to bona fide unplayability on others.

This is why I absolutely enjoyed the game, I had some cosmetic issues (random floating objects, thrown 400ft from a rubbish pile) but the gunplay, driving and story was superb and I loved it.
I had none of the issues that I've seen in this thread. Although the annoying ones like car summon and it's missing doors etc, but it's sporadic and hardly an issue.

Associate
This is why I absolutely enjoyed the game, I had some cosmetic issues (random floating objects, thrown 400ft from a rubbish pile) but the gunplay, driving and story was superb and I loved it.
I had none of the issues that I've seen in this thread. Although the annoying ones like car summon and it's missing doors etc, but it's sporadic and hardly an issue.

Good to know. I could put up with graphic glitches but as long as they dont take away from the story

Soldato
I preordered but have yet to install, been busy with other things.

I read that a big patch was due this month and was then going to play.

The cyber attack may have impacted this, any one know any more?

Man of Honour

The gunplay is fine, though let down by the decision to force players to use the same button to draw/holster a weapon and to switch between weapons. Yet another incomprehensibly bad UI choice forced on players. I also don't like the fact that the built-in aimbot is on by default, but at least CDPR bothered to allow players to turn it off if they can find it in the settings.

The driving is abysmal. I'm genuinely surprised that anyone could call it superb. What are you comparing it to? Chequered Flag on the ZX Spectrum in the mid 1980s?

The story is spotty. It's mostly done well, but it suffers in various ways:

i) There is a severe lack of meaningful choices that NPCs will react to. Most of the time it just determines the amount of time until the NPC you're talking to attacks you. Other NPCs rarely react to your choices at all. It happens sometimes, but not often. For example, one ripperdoc refuses to treat you if you chose the option to punch them when you met them earlier. But no other NPC reacts to that choice, even if they know about it. There are a few occasions where an NPC reacts to something you did earlier that they know about, but very few.
ii) You cannot choose what your character says or how they say it. The text presented to you will not be what your character says.
iii) Some story possibilities are deliberately hidden and only become available if you go AFK for a while. Nobody has any explanation as to why this was considered to be a good idea.
iv) You can't choose your preferred ending, even if that ending is written into the game. For example, my V was a streetkid who became a member of the Aldecero clan of nomads and was Panam's lover. Their preferred choice of action would be to storm Arasaka on their own to seperate themself and Johnny (which is written into the game, albeit hidden because to hell with players) and then leave Night City with Panam and the other Aldeceros (which is written into the game). No. Not allowed because to hell with players. You can only leave NC with the Aldeceros if you choose to put them all at risk for no reason and get some of them killed.

The best game in the last 10 years in multiple levels. (not a member of a hate train)

Do you know that calling anything other than adoration "hate" makes you look bad? Very bad.

Soldato
I'm surprised people thought the gameplay in this game would be that good.
TW3's gameplay was definitely not very good despite the dangerously high ammounts of nostalgia re: that game.

For example, if I compare TW3 to a game like Dark Souls, the combat and powers are in a different stratosphere.

Man of Honour
Gah, dammit, I made a mistake!

I've started a second playthrough, mainly because someone (Rroff, I think) mentioned the possibility that the degree of bugginess is somehow connected to the PC's sex. Sounds odd, but with this game who knows? So I sort of decided to do another playthrough with a woman, maybe, and that was sort of confirmed in my mind when the random starting point for character creation looked almost right to me. Remove the makeup, change the hairstyle, change the eyes and yes, that's her! That's my new V. Off we go.

So, the mistake? I spoke to the boxing trainer. I don't want the boxing missions. They irritated me last time and they irritate me now.

Is there any way to hide missions? Or, failing that, restart the game with exactly the same appearance? I'll bin a couple of hours of play to avoid having those missions stuck on my map if I have to. But can you avoid having the missions added without simply ignoring the boxing coach? I'd prefer to talk to him, say hi and all that, but I don't want him to Preston Garvey the missions onto me.

Associate
Is there any way to hide missions?

I watched a YouTube video yesterday on some mods that have come out and one of them is a quest hider. I think he uses it for when he makes videos so that t he quest aren't constantly on screen.
Not sure it can get rid of the quest entirely but it might be a good starting place.

Man of Honour
I watched a YouTube video yesterday on some mods that have come out and one of them is a quest hider. I think he uses it for when he makes videos so that t he quest aren't constantly on screen.
Not sure it can get rid of the quest entirely but it might be a good starting place.

Do you know what the mod is called and where I can get it? Is it just a HUD changer that removes the onscreen text for all missions?

Soldato
At first, I was sticking up for CDProjectRed - I had only played up to the beginning of Act 2 at that time, and I thought the bugs had been few and far between, and when they occurred, they weren't really immersion breaking for me, so I thought it was a lot of fuss over nothing...

I'm getting closer to the end game now, and wow... I take it back - This game is riddled with bugs. I've had entire levels/cutscenes completely ruined - Sometimes the story makes no sense whatsoever due to a bug occurring, so I need to check YouTube to try and piece together what the hell is going on! :p The way things work in general seems so backwards sometimes - For example, I accidently bought a sniper rifle by clicking it, so I figured you just click it again in the inventory to return it and get my money back? Nope. You sell it back at maybe 5% of the price you bought it for... ¬_¬'

It's such a shame - So many small bugs and silly things have ruined it for me now. I don't even think the story is that good, but I'll push through to see how it ends.

Fortunately, it's not all completely bad - I do enjoy the gunplay and ziping around a site ripping people to pieces :p The music is sooo good and works really well - And the city design and general look and feel is incredible, and was exactly what I was after in a "Cyberpunk" game.

I can only hope that the DLC they have planned is going to improve on it, because I'm still really excited to see more Cyberpunk type stories!

Man of Honour
At first, I was sticking up for CDProjectRed - I had only played up to the beginning of Act 2 at that time, and I thought the bugs had been few and far between, and when they occurred, they weren't really immersion breaking for me, so I thought it was a lot of fuss over nothing...

I'm getting closer to the end game now, and wow... I take it back - This game is riddled with bugs. I've had entire levels/cutscenes completely ruined - Sometimes the story makes no sense whatsoever due to a bug occurring, so I need to check YouTube to try and piece together what the hell is going on! :p

A common theme is that the game gets buggier as you progress through the main storyline. Sometimes the story makes no sense due to the very rushed and disorganised way the game was made, even when it isn't bugged.

The way things work in general seems so backwards sometimes - For example, I accidently bought a sniper rifle by clicking it, so I figured you just click it again in the inventory to return it and get my money back? Nope. You sell it back at maybe 5% of the price you bought it for... ¬_¬'

I think it's debateable whether that's wrong. You're buying and selling on an unregulated market in a brutal, dystopian hellhole. A lot of the stuff would have been stolen in one way or another. Some of the stuff would have been looted off a corpse after killing the previous owner (who was probably a serial killer). Especially from you, since you're a merc. The rule of law is highly uncertain at best, so the merchant's main protection is killing anyone who tries to rob them, either directly or via a gang they're part of or paying protection money to. No questions are asked. No guarantees are given. You bought it, it's yours. Transaction over. No questions asked. No returns. If you sell it, you get the black market fence offer. If you don't like the offer, hard luck. This is Night City, choom.

Having said that, I think a "sell back" option while you still have the trade window open would be reasonable. It's done that way for buying back items you sold to the merchant.

I think merchants are yet another area that needed a lot more work. There should have been some form of merchant reputation system, with various things feeding into it. If you're a repeat customer, you should get a better percentage than some random stranger. You're a reliable source of income for them. Your reputation with gangs should feed into it too, for good and bad. If a merchant is paying protection money to a gang that hates you, that merchant should be wary about doing business with you at all, let alone giving you a good price. Etc.

There are plenty of things that are done more obviously badly. Pretty much all of crafting, for example. Pressing and holding a button 5000 times is not fun. Or any good for your finger. That's not hyperbole - if you make a crafting-orientated character, 5000 seperate one-item crafts isn't a particularly large amount. That would get you enough legendary crafting components to make a start on your real crafting. I edited a config file to change it from press and hold to just press, but it's still thousands of presses. Then there's smaller bad UI details, such as not being allowed to see how many bullets you have when you're crafting bullets and any excess crafted bullets magically disappearing. You make the bullets, using up the materials, but the bullets magically disappear once you've hit the (unstated, of course) bullet limit for that type. 500 for pistol rounds, 700 for rifle rounds, etc.

It's such a shame - So many small bugs and silly things have ruined it for me now. I don't even think the story is that good, but I'll push through to see how it ends.

It ends annoyingly, for two reasons:

i) Lots of pretend-interactive custscenes, which is a "feature" of Cyberpunk 2077. Combining the worst of both worlds, you're forced to press required buttons at required times to progress in a cutscene. Very slowly.
ii) Lack of player choice, even amongst the options that are written into the game. For example, say you want to storm Arasaka tower alone (written into the game as the first section of an ending) and then leave NC with the Aldeceros (written into the game as the second section of an ending)? No. Not allowed. You can only leave NC with the Aldeceros if you pointlessly put them all at risk and get some of them killed. Which you have no choice about - their deaths are scripted, so to hell with the player.

Oh, and one of the endings is only obtainable if you did certain unexplained things during the game and if you go AFK for several minutes at a certain unexplained point during the game. Because reasons.

Fortunately, it's not all completely bad - I do enjoy the gunplay and ziping around a site ripping people to pieces :p The music is sooo good and works really well - And the city design and general look and feel is incredible, and was exactly what I was after in a "Cyberpunk" game.

I can only hope that the DLC they have planned is going to improve on it, because I'm still really excited to see more Cyberpunk type stories!

Same here. But I think what's missing is too fundamental to be fixed with DLC. I'm hoping that in a couple of years they finish making the game and release the finished game with a new story as a sequel.

EDIT: A random thought - I think that the repeated, forced and very long unskippable pretend-interactive cutscenes are a significant factor in the relatively small amount of replay that the game gets. Open-world games with multiple skill trees usually get more replay than CP2077 gets. I'm doing a replay with a new character at the moment and I spent about 15 hours deliberately not doing the main story at all because it's all unskippable pretend-interactive cutscene. At least half an hour of it, probably more. All the way from the beginning of the heist to the third time you regain consciousness, back in your apartment when the game finally allows you to start playing again. It certainly feels like a lot more than half an hour. It's irritating and gets far more irritating with repetition. And it's stupidly forced. Why isn't Jackie allowed to use a maxdoc or bounceback? Why is Delemain hard coded to have passengers they're protecting die rather than taking them to a ripperdoc?

I managed to endure it for a second time by being slightly drunk, turning the sound off and listening to an audiobook instead. It's anti-fun. It's worse than an unskippable 45 minute cutscene. And you have to endure it with every playthrough. I've no doubt that severely reduces the replay value of the game.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just got back into pc gaming, is this still a buggy mess?

Yes. Some of the mess has been cleaned up, but there's a lot to go.

Imagine a nice car that's been driven through a carwash that had been plumbed into a sewage line rather than a water line. That was CP2077 on release.

Now imagine that someone has cleaned a small area of the windscreen in front of the driver's seat. That's CP2077 now. It's an improvement. It's an important improvement. But it's still one hell of a mess.

There are a couple of ways to work around most of the more routinely occuring bugs. Graphical glitches. Stuff being left onscreen (e.g. an item information display window remaining on screen after you close your inventory, part of the scope of your weapon remaining on screen after you holster it, etc, etc). Item slots being disabled (you get the "action blocked" message when trying to change what's in that slot). Vehicle summoning being disabled. No doubt some other bugs that aren't currently coming to my mind. I'll mention them here because they're far from obvious things to try so people won't know about them unless they've read them somewhere.

i) Save and then load the save you just made. Quick and easy and often works. If it doesn't work, (ii) might.
ii) Trigger a cutscene. The easiest way to do this is to hire a prostitute. Rather strangely for NC there are only 2 working prostitutes, both in the market in Kabuki. Look for the lips symbol on the map. In white, like all business services.

Man of Honour
Bah, I ran into the "mystery outcome!" nonsense regarding dead/unconscious again. A monk asked me to rescue someone without killing the kidnappers. No promises, but I'll give it a try that way as a courtesy to the customer. So I equipped a weapon explicitly described as being non-lethal. And the person I rescued ranted at me for killing the kidnappers. Which I didn't do. Ungrateful gonk.

On the other hand, I can shoot a cyberpsycho with hundreds of bullets and blow them up with a dozen grenades and get thanked for rendering them unconscious rather than killing them.

Back
Top Bottom