Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [19th - 23rd Feb 2021]

Commissario
Fantastic win for Everton, I’m actually quite emotional as it’s been a long time coming.

COYB.

Can't see Everton offering much, they are so erratic anyway let alone with their main threat on the bench. They blew it, 3 points behind liverpool with 3 games in hand. They will get thumped today. Should be an enjoyable game though.

Cat got ya tongue???

Man of Honour
Commentators making a bit much of the win there, all the top four talk. Everton arent getting top four (I dont actually think Liverpool will either). My monies on the current top four being the final top 4

Caporegime
TAA swung his leg to try and book DCL after the impact to make sure DCL went down. That's why it is a pen to me

Edit - it's not a red because there is a defender on the line

He’s taken a knee to the back of his head (which had DCL already going down) and you think he’s swiping his leg at him :D

Soldato
He’s taken a knee to the back of his head (which had DCL already going down) and you think he’s swiping his leg at him :D
Watch it again. He had to contort his whole body to try and get contact with a locked ankle to create a 'hook'. Clearly intentional

Soldato
Weird how most of the baiting always come from you.
Not at all this time, no baiting from me, I’m just pointing out that you seem rather fragile at home at the minute, which I why you need to play the toon as we always help a team that’s in poor for get back on track, and there are some very salty comments from some Liverpool fans which tends to be overlooked when other comments are punished

Caporegime
Watch it again. He had to contort his whole body to try and get contact with a locked ankle to create a 'hook'. Clearly intentional

Okay just to humour you.

So your initial comment shows you didn't really watch it all those close either despite trying to have the unique 'man on the line' take. DCL was clear through if he didn't run into Trent and ahead of the last defender.

DCL going down prior to the TAA leg contact, which at this point its probably DCL who has already committed a foul by kneeing him in the back of the head. Also you aren't going to convince many he has intentionally tried to foul someone while falling over and taking a knee to the head.

I mean...you can't begrudge Carlo anything. He is such a gent with great clarity of thought.

Don't think anyone begrudged Everton or Carlo the win, scored more legitimate goals and Liverpool never looked like they would be capable of one.

Don
The sooner this season finishes the better. Football is meant to be fun and there's nothing fun about this season. In all my years watching Liverpool I've seen some bad teams (6 months of Hodgson will be with me forever) but I've never seen so much just go wrong for one side like it has this season. We're not playing well and should be doing better than we are but pretty much anything that can go against us in the past 6 months has gone against us. I know a lot of people thought we were a CB light going into the season but that's our first 5 CB options currently injured (the first 3 of them will miss 3/4+ of the season) and have fielded our 18th CB pairing. People were talking about City's defensive crisis last season when they had Laporte out and were leaving the likes of Mendy, Otamendi and Stones on the bench!

We've tried to scrape our way through the past couple of months putting square pegs in round holes, trying to play the same system as we have the past few seasons but I'm not sure it's possible anymore, especially now Henderson and Fabinho are out. Our game was built around pressing high up the pitch with our fullbacks bombing forwards but without VVD, Gomez & Matip at the back we can't play a high line and can't play out of the back and without Henderson and Fabinho in midfield we're down to just Wijnaldum as our only high intensity midfielder. I've no idea if it'll be the answer but I'd look to play more of a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1, play a deeper two man midfield and bring in a 4th attacker to make up for your fullbacks not getting forward as much.
I didn't even watch the game because VAR has ruined any enjoyment of football for me.
The decision was made by the ref, not VAR.
I said a long time ago that we should have kept Fab and Hendo in midfield, almost regardless of who that meant playing at CB. We miss the legs of Henderson and Fabinho winning the ball back high up the pitch so much. We'd have had a worse CB pairing without them, but playing them in their best positions would have more than made up for it. Doesn't matter now, they're both injured...
I'm not convinced we'd have been any better off had we gone down that route. You can't play front foot, pressing football when you've got 2 CB's that are slow and can't pass the ball (and aren't very good), which unfortunately is all we've got. I'm sure we would have seen one back in midfield though but as you say, even they're injured now.

As above, I know a lot of people thought we should have signed a CB in the summer (not that I was one of them) but it's easy to see why we didn't. 99.9% of CB's are garbage. Maybe I'm being harsh on Kabak as he's just 20 but he's being touted as one of the best young CB's about for the past 18 months and he looks all over the place. Upamecano is supposed to be the next big but in the two games I've seen him play this season (vs Utd and us) he was run ragged. Fabinho as a 4th CB is far better.

Back
Top Bottom