Buying a car at a distance...250 miles to be precise **updated** now with pic!

Caporegime
OP
I am literally in a similar scenario but selling.

A guy in Ireland really wants my Abarth, at first alarm bells rang but after discussing in more detail with him and tracing him down on Facebook I can see he is a member in Abarth groups and has been looking for a Competizione for a while, they are reportedly very rare in Ireland, I've answered all his questions and he is happy and he asked me to detail any issues, no matter how minor as he cannot view the vehicle.

I've been totally honest, if I agree he will bank transfer the money, upon clearing he will then arrange to have the car collected.
I am still a little unsure about it all as personally I'd never buy a car unseen from a private reseller, but he really wishes to go ahead.

Is there anything I should be aware of, checking or getting him to sign electronically or something before I say yes, take his money and allow the car to be collected, or should I hold out for a more local UK buyer?

This is the question, I can't answer the technicalities and as a seller you can sell to whoever you want.

As a buyer, its annoying I can't get to the car but its a car from your past (not yours but one quite like it) I would be gutted it'll I couldn't make the transaction happen due to covid physically stopping me from being able to view it.

I'm a genuine buyer, have the money etc

Soldato

A guy in Ireland really wants my Abarth, at first alarm bells rang but after discussing in more detail with him and tracing him down on Facebook I can see he is a member in Abarth groups and has been looking for a Competizione for a while, they are reportedly very rare in Ireland, I've answered all his questions and he is happy and he asked me to detail any issues, no matter how minor as he cannot view the vehicle.

I've been totally honest, if I agree he will bank transfer the money, upon clearing he will then arrange to have the car collected.
I am still a little unsure about it all as personally I'd never buy a car unseen from a private reseller, but he really wishes to go ahead.

Is there anything I should be aware of, checking or getting him to sign electronically or something before I say yes, take his money and allow the car to be collected, or should I hold out for a more local UK buyer?
You probably have more insight than I on the topic but I think bank transfers are pretty irrefutable/irreversible so the safest method to receive cash. I assume you are talking ROI instead of NI? Legal system complexities/incompatibilities could be a nightmare but that plays in either persons favour...

I guess the transport firm could run off with the vehicle and the chap could blame you, but that is an insurance thing and something he would be responsible for as he is now legal owner of the car.

I wonder if car seller insurance even exists...?

Soldato

I'll be honest, I'd tell him that for the good of both of you - you'll happily take a decent (non refundable) deposit and hold the car for him until he can get a cheap flight over. As he is coming from Ireland he won't have to worry about the mandatory self isolation etc. I just wouldn't trust letting some random stranger taking the car on the back of a lorry away whilst hoping that this mystical buyer hasn't just paid for the car with someone's hacked online banking or something.

There's just too many things that can give you a headache. If he says he never got the car, or complains that there is something wrong with it that you didn't tell him about, or the bank transfer ends up being fraudulent etc you have a load of grief from a person you have never met before. Tbh, if he's that desperate for the car, I'm sure he'll be fine with this and it just protects both sides from issues.

Soldato
I'll be honest, I'd tell him that for the good of both of you - you'll happily take a decent (non refundable) deposit and hold the car for him until he can get a cheap flight over. As he is coming from Ireland he won't have to worry about the mandatory self isolation etc. I just wouldn't trust letting some random stranger taking the car on the back of a lorry away whilst hoping that this mystical buyer hasn't just paid for the car with someone's hacked online banking or something.

There's just too many things that can give you a headache. If he says he never got the car, or complains that there is something wrong with it that you didn't tell him about, or the bank transfer ends up being fraudulent etc you have a load of grief from a person you have never met before. Tbh, if he's that desperate for the car, I'm sure he'll be fine with this and it just protects both sides from issues.
No different if he shows up in person is there really. Except you'll have his charming good lucks and potential 'built like a brick s**thouse' nature to cope with lol.

Soldato
No different if he shows up in person is there really. Except you'll have his charming good lucks and potential 'built like a brick s**thouse' nature to cope with lol.

Well, for a start you avoid any issues with people moaning it isn't as described. What they see is what they get.

Secondly, you don't have any issues with the car going missing in between the seller and buyer, and whilst it's easy to say that's not the sellers problem, if it brings grief to your door, it's always going to be your problem. People will claim all sorts of outrageous things.

Thirdly, you get to actually meet the person, which for me is important. If they're such a Fiat Abarth fan, that'll be clear from the start and will give them authenticity as a proper buyer. And buyers they normally do a bank transfer on their phone or something which is harder to start doing something dodgy on. You could even ask if they'd mind showing you their driving licence just to make sure it's the same person as making the transfer, no one genuine would blink an eye at this.

I dunno, for me, there's enough risk with a private sale as is, without some random guy coming to pick up the car and stick it on the back of a lorry to take it to a person you've never met before who has transferred you money online. My standpoint is that I'd rather be a little bit cautious, and not have issues or risk of losing thousands of pounds, than try and please someone I've never met before and never will meet again. Any genuine buyer will likely understand this.

Soldato
Well, for a start you avoid any issues with people moaning it isn't as described. What they see is what they get.

Secondly, you don't have any issues with the car going missing in between the seller and buyer, and whilst it's easy to say that's not the sellers problem, if it brings grief to your door, it's always going to be your problem. People will claim all sorts of outrageous things.

Thirdly, you get to actually meet the person, which for me is important. If they're such a Fiat Abarth fan, that'll be clear from the start and will give them authenticity as a proper buyer. And buyers they normally do a bank transfer on their phone or something which is harder to start doing something dodgy on. You could even ask if they'd mind showing you their driving licence just to make sure it's the same person as making the transfer, no one genuine would blink an eye at this.

I dunno, for me, there's enough risk with a private sale as is, without some random guy coming to pick up the car and stick it on the back of a lorry to take it to a person you've never met before who has transferred you money online. My standpoint is that I'd rather be a little bit cautious, and not have issues or risk of losing thousands of pounds, than try and please someone I've never met before and never will meet again. Any genuine buyer will likely understand this.
Good points all around but your opening point was about using someone's hacked online banking credentials. A chap from Ireland rocking up at your door step doesn't change the fact it may be hacked online banking credentials, and the fact you'll have very little recourse if something were to happen.

Associate
I wouldn't be able to buy a car at a distance. This like like good, one must come close and see what he or she is buying. Otherwise there can be many hidden defects that will turn your life into a nightmare with time.

Man of Honour
Update***

Put deposit on car, getting it transported Monday!

It has better be a Ferrari to be worth this... :D

I did buy a private car from distance twice - on both occasions I had a huge collection of photos but I still went to check it and pick it up in person, the only risk being a wasted journey.

Personally despite having done it before I'd not be in a hurry to do it again and both occasions were because each car was a fairly unique deal (A combination of high mileage yet fairly new made them in budget where otherwise they wouldn't).

The chances of a wasted journey are high, personally I think you'd be mad to get a private sale car purchased at distance and transported to you before you'd seen it yourself. It is going to have be something very rare and special to be worth the gamble. What is it?

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The thing I can’t get my head around is not meeting in person to do the transaction, even if you also then arrange to transport it home for ease. For the sake of a drive there and back I’d never open myself up to issues like this. This ignores the bonus that you can inspect the car in person for condition too.

Sending (tens?) of thousands to a stranger online without having even met them at the registered address and at least getting the car handover just seems way outside my comfort zone, and I’m pretty relaxed about car buying generally. I’ll happily buy sight unseen auction cars...but of course in that scenario you are not massively opening yourself up to your money disappearing as you pay the reputable auction house....not a random private account

Caporegime
OP
It has better be a Ferrari to be worth this... :D

I did buy a private car from distance twice - on both occasions I had a huge collection of photos but I still went to check it and pick it up in person, the only risk being a wasted journey.

Personally despite having done it before I'd not be in a hurry to do it again and both occasions were because each car was a fairly unique deal (A combination of high mileage yet fairly new made them in budget where otherwise they wouldn't).

The chances of a wasted journey are high, personally I think you'd be mad to get a private sale car purchased at distance and transported to you before you'd seen it yourself. It is going to have be something very rare and special to be worth the gamble. What is it?

A 90s mitsubishi! 3000gt.

The thing I can’t get my head around is not meeting in person to do the transaction, even if you also then arrange to transport it home for ease. For the sake of a drive there and back I’d never open myself up to issues like this. This ignores the bonus that you can inspect the car in person for condition too.

Sending (tens?) of thousands to a stranger online without having even met them at the registered address and at least getting the car handover just seems way outside my comfort zone, and I’m pretty relaxed about car buying generally. I’ll happily buy sight unseen auction cars...but of course in that scenario you are not massively opening yourself up to your money disappearing as you pay the reputable auction house....not a random private account

I trust the transporter company, they do a lot if work for a pal who imports cars from japan that get delivered to Kent.

He's going to go and double check the car, make sure the papers are signed and check payment has gone through etc...

With lockdown as it is, if I got stopped driving it back id probably be in court.

Caporegime
OP
Well, there we are then!

20210223-083503.jpg

Soldato
I bought my Impreza from just a few pics. Was transported from Glasgow to West Wales last year during the first lockdwn.

I've known the car since it first arrived in the UK so it wasn't really "that" much of a gamble.

Paying and transferring ownership was a bit wobbly with lots of trust on both sides but it worked out perfect in the end.

OcUK Staff
Well, there we are then!

20210223-083503.jpg

Nice, I miss mine, great cars!

Also placed a deposit today on my C3 Corvette, after numerous video calls, happy with condition and history so deal done.
Also the Abarth was collected yesterday by a raffle company which was a nice easy sale. :)

Which transport company did you use?

Caporegime
OP
Nice, I miss mine, great cars!

Also placed a deposit today on my C3 Corvette, after numerous video calls, happy with condition and history so deal done.
Also the Abarth was collected yesterday by a raffle company which was a nice easy sale. :)

Which transport company did you use?

Yeah I remember yours it was nice. I dont care what anyone says its a true Gran Turismo hero car like the skylines etc

Hmm was the c3 owned by a sheikh?

Easy money so raffle companies really do own the cars they advertise haha!

I used one recommended by a work colleague who imports a few cars from japan, Warren car collection ls or something! Seemed okay but I expected 6 hours, took 10 as they dropped off another car first.

Very Jelly, one of many cars I want, could buy, but am too scared because they are old and complicated and weird. :p

How is it?

This is totally an ACME car! Get one and never let it leave your drive, forget running, just think of the costs!

4ws oil light on, slushy clutch pedal. 10 mins in your garden and it would be up and running! To be fair I drove it for 3 miles last night when I got it no issues, apart from the 4ws oil light ...

Besides, hks superdraeger noises!!

Back
Top Bottom