Just been given my 1st Section 59 For Going over 3k revs?

OcUK Staff
I've been accused of the same by a - clueless - "traffic" cop in a fully freighted artic, much empathy.

What lol seriously such cops should not be on the road, your keeping the world turning transporting stuff and cops are pulling you over because your truck is too loud or fast, how can they do that and be serious.

Soldato
Some of the posts in this thread are bizarre. Apparently we shouldn't be driving over 3000rpm or we are 17.

If the police officer believes the car breaks noise regulations then it should be cited for that.

Don
Some of the posts in this thread are bizarre. Apparently we shouldn't be driving over 3000rpm or we are 17.

There's clearly a difference between accelerating briskly (which even changing up at 3000rpm in an A45 is going to be quicker than most cars on the road in a traffic light GP) versus bouncing it off the limiter to draw attention and potentially being antisocial/or even unnecessarily dangerous on a 40mph stretch of dual carriageway (which is clearly limited for a reason - whether that be for risk/noise/pollution etc).

Associate
OP
There's clearly a difference between accelerating briskly (which even changing up at 3000rpm in an A45 is going to be quicker than most cars on the road in a traffic light GP) versus bouncing it off the limiter to draw attention and potentially being antisocial/or even unnecessarily dangerous on a 40mph stretch of dual carriageway (which is clearly limited for a reason - whether that be for risk/noise/pollution etc).

Talk about backtracking on your original post hah. The A45 was no where near bouncing off its limiter. Likewise the 40mph limit was not exceeded at any point.

Associate
OP
It isn't.

Section 59 is actually very annoying. Especially for that. Another one and op will be in deep doodoo

I know people who got pulled for drifting around roundabouts and never got section 59.

It's either there's more to the story or the op needs to go seek clarification as to why he was given that.

And lol at a few of the driving god's here... Too many Mr perfects on the internet never having any fun in life.

These cars are designed to have fun in and accelerating up to the speed limit is nothing.

To me it sounds like a Bobby that had nothing better to do and felt like giving you section 59 for no reason.

Guess my s2000 getting up to 9000rpm is equal to drink driving in his view.

There is not more to the story unfortunately. The officer stated it was due to the revs and crackling and pops. Thank you for the input.

Soldato

The A45 is an automatic. What if the OP didn't want to change gears manually and was in sport mode.

Is there now a law on how quickly you can accelerate?

Unless it is a night on a residential road, I can't see how it is antisocial.

What's this arbitrary definition of unnecessarily dangerous now? Was the OP sliding the car around? If not were they breaking the speed limit?

edit:

I've now seen the OP was shifting manually. But there are many automatic modes on cars that will hold revs.

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst I do like winding you up a bit, if you are being entirely honest then it seems you have been a bit unlucky to get the S59 for nowt, officer could be having a bad day or summat and as your car is naturally ASBO decided to take it out on you! Not that it's justified of course, even if it is an A45 D with M-sport S-line aeroplane package...

Might be worth making a complaint to their superiors, though I wouldn't expect much to amount from it.

Associate
i once bought the son a astra sport he wanted from a dam/rep auction we repaired it and put it on the road, 3 nights later he gets pulled and and warned that the car is subject to s59 and told to bring his paperwork to the cop shop.

he was young at the time and did the occasional daft thing, so i was sceptical at first that he may have just been pulled being silly.

turns out the s59 stays with the car as well we bought it from bristol and the previous owner got the original section, was a bit of a faff sending getting paperwork to prove he wasnt the owner at the time it received it . i was told by the copper that the forces didnt always assist when another force enquired and it was close to being siezed. i did point out the doc being in a different name and the area being different but still took a while , he was that fed up afterwards he got rid of the car some weeks later and bought a bmw :(()

i believe the term is the marker was put against the car.

Soldato
Lol I appreciate all the humour in this thread, but does anyone actually have a serious response? Is it worth me liaising with a solicitor or would I be wasting my time?

You won't find much helpful advice here unfortunately. For a Motors section there is an odd number of regulars that bizarrely share the opinion that speed = child killing and going anywhere near the redline must correlate with driving dangerously or is worthy of an S59.

Unfortunately S.59's can be issued for excessive acceleration because they've got nothing else to throw at you and if the constable doesn't know cars then loud / pops are often associated with speed.

No point arguing with it unless you want to make a point and have money and time to burn.
Should your car be seized upon receiving a second S59 then the costs would still be less than seeking legal advice to have a S59 rescinded - of which there isn't a set process.

Associate
I'll be getting my car crushed soon then, I frequently enjoy taking my car to redline in 2nd gear.

Likewise, better watch out myself, enjoy giving the FK2 some full throttle where safe to do so.

Sounds like OP was unlucky - obviously don't know the full story but if it was just a case of some sharp acceleration onto an empty dual carriageway, only up to the speed limit, in a vehicle well capable of this, it's hardly the crime of the century.

Back
Top Bottom