Tiling - Am I’m being too picky

Associate
Our bathroom installer has put in two shower niches. I’m unhappy with the tiling/chrome edging on the one. Right hand side I’m fine with. Left I’m not. Take a look am I being to picky?

Right hand side

9-CFA973-C-4-B31-4-E14-9-E84-10-B121837039.png

Left hand side

86323-B1-F-E651-4480-863-A-F662-FEA7-B878.png

Soldato
A light sanding of the tile edges with a diamond pad would have made that look much better. The silicone on the bottom is pretty bad on both sides though..

Associate
OP
A light sanding of the tile edges with a diamond pad would have made that look much better. The silicone on the bottom is pretty bad on both sides though..

Agreed the silicone is another matter. I assume he will need to take the tiles out, sand and redo? This could cost him half a days work.

Permabanned
If you don't mind me saying, that's ****.

Do what you suggested, overlay the trim.

The problem is that he has used a power cutter to cut out the tiles and the grout being darker has shown up the rough cut edge. So best to do what you suggested and apply an L shaped extrusion that covers all the mess up. Before you do that though, on the inside just remove the silicon using remover then you can reapply if after you fitted the trim. And buy him some masking tape, lol. Yes! It really is a good idea to use masking tape if your silicon skills are no so hot!!

Soldato
I think this is the trouble with feature pieces in bathrooms now. They take a high level of skill and attention to detail to do well, otherwise if it's done even slightly bad it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Your tiler is probably more accustomed to knocking up walls and floors with tiles well, but the finer more intricate details either don't interest them or they haven't the ability.

Clearly you want something with nice crisp clean edges so it blends seamlessly like this. Positioning the tiles around it so you don't have to make any cuts is obviously preferable.

VCR8Qql.jpg

However I quite like the non-trim look as well.

eeNPlNa.jpg

JC

JC

Soldato
Are they extra large tiles? They appear not to have been cut properly with something like a wet cutter for tiles, which is causing the poor finish on the cut edge, which shows particularly in contrast to the trim.

You will probably find that they need to remove the tiles, which may cause breakages, and then either cut new tiles properly, or as others have suggested to file the edges.

Tea Drinker
Don
Looks like you’ve asked a tiler to do a mastic mans job that’s all.

Two seperate trades and with rough bobbly tiles it’ll compound the issue.

They’ve done a nice job on the trims.

Associate
may have been cut dry with an angle grinder, i would have set up the wet saw for those tiles i think, they look like they wouldn't cut very cleanly but a decent wet saw gives a better cut than the angle grinder even with a good blade in it. it doesn't look like he's even tried with a diamond pad, it can sometimes take a bit of effort/time but they do tidy edges up a lot. no way would i leave a customers job like that.

Associate
OP
If you don't mind me saying, that's ****.

Do what you suggested, overlay the trim.

The problem is that he has used a power cutter to cut out the tiles and the grout being darker has shown up the rough cut edge. So best to do what you suggested and apply an L shaped extrusion that covers all the mess up. Before you do that though, on the inside just remove the silicon using remover then you can reapply if after you fitted the trim. And buy him some masking tape, lol. Yes! It really is a good idea to use masking tape if your silicon skills are no so hot!!

I spotted this in Screwfix this may do the trick - https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothley-chrome-effect-angle-1000-x-15-x-15mm/902jp

It's 15mm either side which will cover it. What's the best way to cut this? Dremel?

Are they extra large tiles? They appear not to have been cut properly with something like a wet cutter for tiles, which is causing the poor finish on the cut edge, which shows particularly in contrast to the trim.

You will probably find that they need to remove the tiles, which may cause breakages, and then either cut new tiles properly, or as others have suggested to file the edges.

Yes large tiles 30cm x 60cm.

Looks a tad rough
Tile wise it looks similar tone of our bathrooms

Very similar just our tiles are much larger. Your niche looks spot on though.

He's back in tomorrow I'll see what he says and let you know.

Permabanned
I spotted this in Screwfix this may do the trick - https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothley-chrome-effect-angle-1000-x-15-x-15mm/902jp

It's 15mm either side which will cover it. What's the best way to cut this? Dremel?

Yes large tiles 30cm x 60cm.

Very similar just our tiles are much larger. Your niche looks spot on though.

He's back in tomorrow I'll see what he says and let you know.

You can find almost any size in almost any metal if you search around, ebay is a good source of weird stuff too. Some metal suppliers will even cut it for you. If you have aluminum and cut it yourself you need one of these "Razor Saw & Aluminium Mitre Box Set".

Back
Top Bottom