Which Machine Took All Your Pocket Money?

Associate
As well as many other games I might have spent most on these 3, though it was rare I'd ever put more than 2 credits per game, I used to like playing a lot of different games rather than just one. In smaller 10p per credit arcades even £1 could go a long way.

Kung Fu Master, first one I really remember spending my holiday pesetas on as a very young kid. Still holds up with great old school digitised Bruce Lee style voice effects that always impressed me.

P.O.W Prisoners of War, an early SNK beat em up with some brutal elements to it for back then. Predates NEO GEO and shame they didn't do an updated sequel. Watching a good Sly or Arnie movie would get you pumped up for playing this. A local taxi firm had this and also Roadblasters, almost a mini arcade on the corner. 2 great games. Used to love finding arcade machines in places you might not expect to find them.

Aliens arcade, after watching Aliens way underage on video and loving it, this arcade was the next best thing and amazing for 2 players. A friend and I found an arcade under the arches in Brighton that had this for 10p a credit and I think we almost completed it. Shows how much things have changed that we'd get the train from London as 12 year olds just to play the arcades on Brighton beach, but if you wanted the best, cutting edge games arcades were the place to be for a long time. Home consoles taking over definitely took a lot of shine off beach visits since then.

Soldato
lots but probably mostly (some in different time periods)

Outrun (on holiday in fleetwood)
Afterburner (on holiday in fleetwood)
Double Dragon (on holiday in fleetwood)
R-Type (on holiday in fleetwood)

Robocop (at my swimming baths)
1942 (at my swimming baths)
Pole Position (at my swimming baths)

Space Invaders (at my youth club)
Missile Command (at my youth club)
Centipede (at my youth club)

Temco world cup 90 (in my pub as well as on various holidays)

Permabanned
Gauntlet, and some 4x4 multiplayer game - can’t remember its name now, but I think I later got it on my NES
Quartet, Alien Storm, Captain Commando?

Gauntlet 2 took all my money. I was a Gauntlet pro (no boast) and could play all day one 10p. So this sequel turns up and takes away all the food. I think I managed to get to around level 110 on one good run when I learned not to potion the deaths and keep the score low, as the higher you score the more food is removed.

I was used to food being removed because some versions of the original Gauntlet (revisions I find out later through MAME) would really punish you, but my friends and I were still able to always level up Elf and Wizard. Warrior and Valkyrie were level dependant on those punishing machines. On the early machines it was not an issue.

Anyway to learn the levels and nuances of the sequel. I spent a lot of money on Gauntlet 2

Oh and the official world record for Gauntlet 1 on a revision that does remove food is like 5 or 6 million. My friends and I were banging out 22 million (could have been more but the arcade was only open 12 hours) on Warrior and Elf, as you can move really fast with those two characters. Warrior just ploughs through everything and Elf can run.

Gonna fire up MAME right now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Battlezone was my favourite when I was in school, and I also put a lot of money into Gorf and Pengo which were located in a local record shop's back room arcade. I used to play Mr. Do at the local swimming pool.

I've got a Mame arcade machine, so I can now play these whenever I like. :D

Atari Star Wars Arcade was my favourite when I went to college, and I now have an Arcade1Up Star Wars cab which is an amazing piece of kit.

Soldato
Street fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat at Warner brothers cinema rinsed me and my friends

Ridge raver at Meadowhall too. It was £1 a pop!!

Soldato
Operation Wolf - an Uzi!!

Dragons Lair - put money in, died within seconds with no clue as to what was happening.

Outrun

Sega Rally

Test Drive took a lot of cash as i always wanted to drive, so the ignition key start, steering wheel, proper gears - closest i could get!

Caporegime
Street fighter and the Mike Tyson punch out game

They used to have a couple of those machines in the chip shop next to my school. Then the scummy owner replaced them with fruit machines, which I might add, he never stopped the kids from playing.

Back
Top Bottom