• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ice Lake Xeon delayed to 2021, likely that Alder Lake delayed to 2022 also

Soldato
Ice lake is based on Intel's standard 10nm fab. process, which is used in Xeon server processors due to release in 2021. Originally, Intel's '2019 investor meeting' roadmaps showed Ice lake server processors releasing in 2020, and the Sapphire Rapids 10nm server processors releasing in 2021.

A recent Intel roadmap shows that Xeon Ice lake will actually release in 2021, and Xeon Sapphire Rapids in 2022 / 'the future'. Sapphire Rapids will use the same 10nm Enhanced SuperFin fab. process that Alder Lake will use, so I conclude that 10nm Alder Lake desktop CPUs will also be delayed until 2022. New server roadmap here:

EpXUxwAUcAAqX-R-1536x830.jpg

All this is contrary to current rumours, which for some reason suggest a 2021 release for Alder Lake CPUs. Perhaps Intel is just trying to appease investors?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All this is contrary to current rumours, which for some reason suggest a 2021 release for Alder Lake CPUs.

Probably Intel's PR/liaisons people are still parroting that everything is going to plan - I don't know whether they believe it, just what they are told to say or what.

Soldato
OP
It's interesting though, because it means Intel's 7nm CPU generation almost certainly won't release until 2023, or, in my view 2024.

Soldato
OP
If Alder Lake is delayed till 2022 it will make an easy year for Zen 3+ refresh
I just checked AMD's net profit margin for Q4 2020 and they reported a net profit margin of 54.9%. This is a very large increase from previous quarters, which were between 9.07% - 13.92% in q1-q3 2021, and 3-5% in 2019.

Intel's net profit was just 29.32% in Q4 2020.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Intel's naming scheme is indecipherable, Ice Lake is the mobile 10K series, they don't call the Desktop variants Ice Lake, they are labeled as Comet Lake, yet they name the Xeon variants Ice Lake. They are all the same 14nm core. WTF? "Zen 3" < There you go, one name for a CPU core in all related variants.

Is this because they would rather the Xeon variants associated with the Laptop variants rather than the hot inefficient Desktop variants? Not that the Laptop variants are efficient, they are just clocked a lot lower.

I can't see Alder Lake "Late this year" IMO it will be well into 2022.

These slides really are just to appease investors, who at this point are no doubt screaming down Intel's neck "You're losing it, start executing properly"

Soldato
If Alder Lake is delayed till 2022 it will make an easy year for Zen 3+ refresh
This is Xeons. So the AMD server chips based on zen3 Milans haven’t even been released yet.

I think AMD will struggle with supply of their Milan CPU due to the TSMC 7nm demand.

Soldato
OP
This is Xeons. So the AMD server chips based on zen3 Milans haven’t even been released yet.

I think AMD will struggle with supply of their Milan CPU due to the TSMC 7nm demand.

True, the Milan server CPUs are delayed, so no Genoa in 2021 either. Which probably means no major improvements to Ryzen CPUs either.

Soldato
i dont think AMD will be pushing out any new products in the next 12-18 months

intel desktop chips aren't even competing with AMD anymore with respect to higher core count in the 11th gen. the willow cove based chips arent even slated till 2022 so AMD wont need to do anything in that market sector other than just making sure supply can keep up wiht demand.

in the server space, as alder lake is delayed...when AMD eventually bring out Milan, again they just have to make sure they are able to supply the market for a decent 12-18months again as intel has nothing to really...

this year i believe we will see a complete stagnation of innovation where new tech have been slated for released will be delayed by at least 12months.

Soldato
Intel will be pushing out new CPU's weeks from now, yes AMD will respond.
Nah I don’t think AMD will do much tbh. May introduce some cheaper SKUs.

certainly I reckon Zen4 based desktop and server chips won’t be coming out at the end of 2021 or Q1 2022. I reckon they are all going back 12months.

Soldato

certainly I reckon Zen4 based desktop and server chips won’t be coming out at the end of 2021 or Q1 2022. I reckon they are all going back 12months.

We already know AMD’s release cadence.

Soldato

Why would Zen4 be delayed? current production issues won't slow development of future products at all...

Soldato
Why would Zen4 be delayed? current production issues won't slow development of future products at all...
AMD has no competition and their current SKUs have good margin so there is no incentive to innovate or push out new products. Also demand for zen3 is ridiculous at least in the desktop market that chips such as 5800x are sold in EU for €500 now from shops and 5600x is sold for €380 and they are gone in an instant as soon as they become available.

Soldato
Saying they have no competition is being a bit generous, the 10 series Intel aren't at all bad and they're dropping prices to be competitive. Rocket Lake should come much closer ST performance to Zen3, so even if Alder Lake doesn't appear by the end of March/April AMD won't have a huge advantage except in MT >8 core examples, e.g only 2 of the Zen3 lineup...

The incentive to roll out Zen4 at the end of the year, even if Intel did nothing, is it furthers their advantage, more likely it will be stepping either 'clear' or 'back ahead' of Intel.

I fully expect the stock issues to clear up on Ryzen in the next month or two as well, the 5600X and even 5800X are in-stock in a few places now, at prices not staggeringly over RRP. At least in the UK.

Soldato
OP
'Sunny Cove' (10nm+ Ice Lake) / 'Cypress Cove' (14nm backport) are the first major Intel CPU microarchitectures since Skylake (excluding the problematic 'Palm Cove' based Cannon Lake).

Rocket lake uses the 'Cypress Cove' core, which is basically a 10nm Ice Lake core, backported to 14nm. Like Ice Lake, the memory controller supports DDR4 3200mhz.

Because of the 'new' microarchitecture, which runs at higher clock rates than can be achieved on 10nm Ice Lake, I think it will be a significant improvement on the Skylake (released August, 2015!) based Comet Lake.

There were some early CPUz benchmarks showing Rocket Lake pulling ahead of the Ryzen 5800x, in a single threaded test.

I don't think AMD will allow their advantage to slip away, when Rocket Lake releases.

Intel microarchitecture info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_CPU_microarchitectures

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom