• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thanks to Nvidia I now have serious psychological problems

Soldato
I'm not even sure what kind of thread this is. Is it a troll thread mocking gamers? Is it encouraging people to mine crypto? Is it a post about the insanity of modern life?

Answers on a postcard.
Op has some sort of hard on for weird mining/anti mining posts and he seemingly isn’t allowed to post in the crypto sub.

Man of Honour
I like what NVidia are doing with the 3060 cards and nerfing their mining abilities, perhaps gamers will get the chance to do some gaming.

I also think it is a good idea to have mining only cards, perhaps NVidia could charge extra for these and reduce the price of gaming cards.

Sorry guys it is just not funny when hardcore gamers can not get their hands on decent GPUs at reasonable prices.

I suspect this is the way all future NVidia card launches will go with separate lines for gaming and mining.

Pet Northerner
Don
I like what NVidia are doing with the 3060 cards and nerfing their mining abilities, perhaps gamers will get the chance to do some gaming.

I also think it is a good idea to have mining only cards, perhaps NVidia could charge extra for these and reduce the price of gaming cards.

Sorry guys it is just not funny when hardcore gamers can not get their hands on decent GPUs at reasonable prices.

I suspect this is the way all future NVidia card launches will go with separate lines for gaming and mining.

I disagree somewhat here, but purely from a waste point of view. Gaming cards used to mine can have a further use once mining is too difficult from them.

Mining cards are destined for the tip much quicker and are a total waste IMO

Also -prices were dumb before mining this time around because of FOMO and low stock - see the consoles for further proof of this.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Also -prices were dumb before mining this time around because of FOMO and low stock - see the consoles for further proof of this.

This is only true for scalpers. Consoles have been RRP at every retailer since launch because they aren't allowed to sell above RRP, which is exactly how it should be.

With GPUs both scalpers and retailers alike a hiking prices, so whoever you buy from you're paying above its RRP (other than FE direct from nvidia)

Man of Honour
I disagree somewhat here, but purely from a waste point of view. Gaming cards used to mine can have a further use once mining is too difficult from them.

My idea of a dumb price was the original Titan at £829, these days you would only just get one of the better 3070s for that.

The 3070 does have 2gb more VRAM than the original Titan, I don't think we have come very far since 2013.

Associate
so if I have the maths right you can make £8500 a year with 2 3090s, how much does the electric cost a year to power them?
Can people please stop being ignorant. Asking questions like this is just lazy arrogance. You assume that mining costs more in electricity that it does to mine. It was profitable before the boom so now it just wrong not to mine.
http://www.frequencycomputers.co.uk/rig.jpg

Soldato
I like what NVidia are doing with the 3060 cards and nerfing their mining abilities

They're not really though, it only affects Ethereum, there are still loads of other alt coins and the 3060 still makes back it's purchase cost in under 2 months if you can get one at rrp, or 3 months at inflated prices

Soldato
You need to tell me your supplier :D most of the plans I found are currently around 17-18p/KW (I am currently paying 18)

I've just switched to Scottish power, was with octopus, octopus was 14p but we're going to upping to 16p and Scottish are now 15p

Not that I use much from the grid as we have solar

Soldato

Aren't nvidia using parts that didn't make the grade for gaming Gpus so these would have been tipped anyway?

Pet Northerner
Don
With GPUs both scalpers and retailers alike a hiking prices, so whoever you buy from you're paying above its RRP (other than FE direct from nvidia)

People wern't mining like crazy in September, the recent boom didn;t cause this. OCUK themselves were selling higher on the 3080s at launch.

I'm not sure how or why Consoles must adhere to MSRP and PC parts do not but let's be clear here - this is not a case of stock being ok then miners evaporating the market like the last craze. Stock has always been an issue this time around.

Associate
People wern't mining like crazy in September, the recent boom didn;t cause this. OCUK themselves were selling higher on the 3080s at launch.

I'm not sure how or why Consoles must adhere to MSRP and PC parts do not but let's be clear here - this is not a case of stock being ok then miners evaporating the market like the last craze. Stock has always been an issue this time around.
Before the 3080 launch I had never mined. I read up on it and predicted ETH would go at least to $400 from $200. I would say I am guilty of 6 people not receiving 3060Tis for gaming and creating a shortage. However, I have been savvy and used skill to get what I thought was best for myself and my family. There are some purely gamers that could do with learning patience and perseverance.

Soldato

That statement surprises me. All that this Nvidia malarkey will do is cause miners to try to buy more "gaming" cards rather than "mining" cards due to the resale value of the mining versions will be zero, due to no gamer will want one. Secondly, they are going to find a way around this "nerfing" of these 3060s (I believe its these cards) so, good luck with that. They'll go after more gaming cards far more aggressively, so causing an even greater shortage of cards, and hence more difficult than it already is to get hold of anything remotely useful to gamers. It also means theres going to be less on the used market if / when digital mining collapses because all these mining cards that are just going to end up as E-waste 'cos no gamer will want one.
And lastly, the foundries can only churn out so many chips in any given time span. If they have to allocate a certain amount of the total production to these mining chips, then thats LESS chips available for gaming cards, means less availability, means even higher prices for gamers.
Call me a cynic, but thats how I see it, Nvidia is not your friend, they're out to make as much money and reduce manufacturing costs as far as possible.

Caporegime

The VRAM has been absolutely hammered on mining cards.

I bought an ex-mining card and it failed within two months (gaming usage only from me). Display artefacts everywhere. Sold it on as faulty.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom