New build, no mobo power

Associate
Hi guys, I've just completed my new ryzen build, but nothing happened when I tried to power it on. :( I've checked the usual suspects like the 24pin and 8pin power cables etc. and shorting the power switch pins did nothing either. No fans, no lights or anything. Jumping the PSU provides power to the water pump and fan hub, and it was removed from my last system yesterday in working order.

Am I missing anything, or could I just be really unlucky and get a DOA motherboard?

Mobo: ROG STRIX X570-F
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
PSU: Superflower leadex 1000W platinum

Associate
OP
You have bios flashback feature on your motherboard you can update the bios this way withoit accesing the bios. . There is a button on the rear with a dedicated usb port.

Check your manual on how to do it.
Yeah, I've plugged the USB into the port specified and pressed the flashback button, but nothing happens.

Sadly I don't have a PSU tester or a spare one to try

Man of Honour
Yeah, I've plugged the USB into the port specified and pressed the flashback button, but nothing happens.

Sadly I don't have a PSU tester or a spare one to try
Did you do this.

Press the BIOS FlashBack™ button for three seconds until the FlashBack LED blinks three times, indicating that the BIOS FlashBack™ function is enabled

Man of Honour
Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Just to check, ALL the PSU cables were the ones that came with the Superflower? You don't have any other PSU leads from another build gone in by mistake?

Highly doubt it, sounds like you transferred from one to another, but worth an ask..

Associate
Have you tried unplugging everything except for motherboard, gpu and cooling?

Try reseating the memory and CPU too. Check that the cooler is not applying too much force. You can safely attempt to power the board without a cooler just turn it off again after a few seconds if it springs to life to ensure the cpu doesn’t overheat.

If that doesn’t work I’d try removing everything from the case and trying to just power up those. There is a chance that you’ve got a short somewhere that’s causing the psu protection not to power up.

Associate
OP
So its all back together now and sitting in the BIOS! I think something probably was causing a short somewhere, but also I discovered that connecting the USB 3.2 gen2 header caused all the lights to go out and a loss of power as well. Hopefully that's just a dodgy front I/O panel.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom