Tiling - Am I’m being too picky

Associate
OP
Is it mastic/sealer in the bottom though?It looks to me from the pic that it is a `rough` application of grout? :confused:

Inside grout then mastic. Outside on outer edge of trim grout with some mastic. Top has mastic.

Thanks pp111 will take a look. Thinking about without making a complete hash of it. Using l shaped trim to overlay is the best option. Under those tiles he’s used a Maipei tanking kit. I think if he removes the tiles the tanking will be ruined.

Caporegime
I don't like it. Looks like whatever has been used to cut the tiles has torn away the edg . It already looks 'old'.

It looks terrible have to say

Caporegime
Looks a tad rough

Tile wise it looks similar tone of our bathrooms

IMG-20200821-115035.jpg

IMG-20200821-115049.jpg

Looks nice (apart from the patterns.. Which I will put down to personal 'taste' :D

Smart clean tiled bathrooms make such a difference

Associate
OP
You trim idea won't work as it'll stop it from draining.

I'd wonder this, if any water above runs down the wall, even well sealed it'll get under, and any in the alcove will run under your trim and soak it rather than drain from the niche

Both valid points. I'm half tempted to ask him to remove the niches completely if he can't do a decent job. This shower will be fitted https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...em-chrome-26507000?FT=5061&FM=165&FP=5&pgno=1 which does have a tray for shower bottles.

See what he says tomorrow.

Soldato
Both valid points. I'm half tempted to ask him to remove the niches completely if he can't do a decent job. This shower will be fitted https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...em-chrome-26507000?FT=5061&FM=165&FP=5&pgno=1 which does have a tray for shower bottles.

See what he says tomorrow.
800 notes? Fack. I thought my Mira unit which looks identical was dear at 300. What does this give you extra?

To be fair it's a shame to remove them as they don't look too bad but I understand the niggle. Silicone aside they look alright - see if he can propose something before you solution for him.

Associate
OP
800 notes? Fack. I thought my Mira unit which looks identical was dear at 300. What does this give you extra?

To be fair it's a shame to remove them as they don't look too bad but I understand the niggle. Silicone aside they look alright - see if he can propose something before you solution for him.

Bought a cheap shower for my bathroom. Failed completely just after a year, retailer went bust (soak.com) I was fortunate the bank refunded me under their card protection. Never had a problem with Grohe. This shower is for our main ensuite for our second ensuite we are having a cheaper Grohe fitted - £280.

We bought from trading depot by the way so it was £680 plus we had a free Grohe accessories kit worth about £80. Agreed still expensive but Grohe is a very good brand.

Soldato
Agreed the silicone is another matter. I assume he will need to take the tiles out, sand and redo? This could cost him half a days work.

If only if were that simple. The tiles wont come out easily now if they have been fixed properly. Its a shame, you have to expect a little bit of a rough edge when cutting a tile such as this with the nobbly pattern, but as I said a light sanding with a diamond pad would take that away leaving a lovely clean edge. I'm guessing you paid a decent price for this job, there is no excuse for these sloppy finishes, other people suggesting adding external trims and such is simply not acceptable.

As for Grohe showers, good choice. They are excellent, I see somebody mentioned Mira above, IMO Grohe are next level, the build quality is just much better.

Soldato
The "middle" lines are colouring on the tile, yes.

It's a reddish colour whereas the main grout to the door (which is where we used those patterned tikes) are a dark grey. He asked if we wanted them grouting but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't come out as it's only a shallow groove. Agreed to leave it off, see what it looked like and if we wanted he would grount them too.

The Mrs was convinced we would grout them all but after its down on the floor you really don't notice it, so left them as it is

Soldato
You need a suitable grout for the small score lines, it shouldn't come out. Not really noticeable on the niches though, I expect if you grouted it then you would instantly notice the grout lines are a different size to the other tiles.

Associate
OP
Just an update. We’ve decided not to have niches. He bought a diamond sanding kit from the local tiling place and with that couldn’t get a decent edge. As he was sanding the nobbly bits were coming off causing jagged edges. Anyway as he took the tiles off he cracked the shower tray. He said nothing dropped which may be right but using an angle grinder whilst stood on a tray have a guess where the forces go yep most likely the tray. To say I’m ****** is an understatement. New tray coming tomorrow.

JC

JC

Soldato
That's annoying! But also worrying, how is this shower tray mounted, flush with the floor? on legs? on a raised platform? Because it sounds like it's not been done right if someone 'only' standing on it can cause it to crack.

Associate
OP
That's annoying! But also worrying, how is this shower tray mounted, flush with the floor? on legs? on a raised platform? Because it sounds like it's not been done right if someone 'only' standing on it can cause it to crack.

This is a JT shower tray which are highly regarded. We used the JT riser kit.

I agree shouldn’t crack being stood on but using an angle grinder the vibrations may have caused it.

Back
Top Bottom