Email/Hosting

Soldato
Hello folks.
So Im sick of the Virgin Media email so decided its time I should change to another service.
I do have Gmail but concerned about sensitive information and all that.

I was recommended to get my own domain with email hosting... to this end can anyone recommend a solid provider of such services?

I would like to secure a domain for a very long time if possible...

Permabanned
FastMail is good for email. Register your domain wherever (e.g. 123 Reg) and point it to FastMail. About 6 quid a month.

tbh if I was starting from fresh I'd just use Gmail. Paying for email really isn't worth it.

Note that using your own domain can cause problems when dealing with derpy customer services employees. "that doesn't seem like a real email address, do you have gmail?" sorta thing.

Soldato
OP
FastMail is good for email. Register your domain wherever (e.g. 123 Reg) and point it to FastMail. About 6 quid a month.

tbh if I was starting from fresh I'd just use Gmail. Paying for email really isn't worth it.

Note that using your own domain can cause problems when dealing with derpy customer services employees. "that doesn't seem like a real email address, do you have gmail?" sorta thing.

Hmm you make some very good points bilysielu, thanks.

I do have a Gmail and outlook account... wonder if I should use the outlook account....

Soldato
Exchange Online is the server (though it's run on many, many servers). Outlook is the client.

I'd go with Exchange Online too. I've been using it for my domains for about 4 years.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
So you still need to register a domain basically? Doesnt MS take care of this?

When you create an Exchange Online account there will be a default domain name created with Exchange Onlone & Office 365 use internally. That domain will be tenant.onmicrosoft.com, so if your tenant name (you'll be asked to choose one during the sign up process) is cavallino then you'll get a domain name of cavallino.onmicrosoft.com. It'll be fully mail enabled but as domain names go it'd be a pretty crappy one to use.

You still need a domain name to use, it doesn't matter where you registered it through. Microsoft won't register a domain on your behalf.

Soldato
OP
Thanks folks.

So I ended up just using my existing outlook account. Cant be bad.

For the record, let me just say, what a pig it is to change over the email addresses of ALL the accounts/services I have registered since the existence of commercial internet!

What a pig... what a pig... Im not even a quarter of the way through!

Associate
That's exactly why I started using my own domain name many, many years ago. If you change e-mail service provider then it's really easy just to change where your domain is pointed at. No messing around with account e-mail changes everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom