• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon MSI R7950 - cable confusion

Associate
I upgraded all my hardware over the summer (with some great help of this forum) and still had some old bits laying around.

I've sold the graphic cards to a friend, but he can't seem to get it working. He says the fans speed up, but the computer doesn't recognise it.

The card is a "MSI ATI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr 3 GB" card, which he has connected to his Asus Z270-P motherboard, and then he's got a Aerocool integrator 500w PSU.

In my old set up it was connected to a Corsair TX750 which had 2 PCI-e cables (a 6 and a 8 pin) by the looks of it (pic of it in my old set up) :

1.jpg

But this is how it looks like in his :

3.jpg

These are the diffent cables his PSU has :

2.jpg

So he's got nothing plugged into his 6 pin of the card...

Initially I tought it was maybe his PSU, but then Iv'e just looked at some pics of the card online, and it shows these cables come with it :

4579_07_msi_radeon_hd_7950_twin_frozr_iii_3gb_overclocked_video_card_review.jpg

Is that a 6 pin that should go to the card, and then the other part to a free molex from the PSU ?
As I didn't give him that cable with the card, but I'm sure I've still got it somewhere...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep needs the convertor cable, you can buy them online for a few quid if needed. I had the same situation, 7950 is very greedy when it comes to power connectors so in my secondary PC (which has an older PSU) I needed to use a molex convertor. Also had a surprise when I went to move an old HD into it, found it only has 2 SATA power connectors (which is a shame as it's not actually a bad PSU, just from an era when SATA was less common)

Back
Top Bottom