iRacing

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Is profile fairly mix and match? The GT1 Evo is currently out of stock and has a ~£80 import tax charge not included in the price, whereas I've seen/found the "Motedi S-Dream" that's similarly priced

https://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/DIY-Kits/Sim-Racing/Simracing-Rig-S-Dream-085654::999997397.html

And either
https://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/DIY-Kits/Sim-Racing/Singel-Screen-Stand-S-Dream::999999096.html
or
https://sim-lab.eu/shop/product/integrated-monitor-mount-517?category=5#attr=362,582

Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm not 100% sure. I believe all profiles are standard sizes but different companies might use different size profiles so as long as the grooves were the same standard then different companies' products should be compatible. Sim lab has good support and are very helpful, so I would give them a message, see what they say.

Soldato
Is profile fairly mix and match?

As Mike says, I believe it's a "mostly". Some will have different fittings etc. There is a dude on the FB groups who sells sim rigs. If you're in a FB group ask and they will point you in the right direction.

I think when you price it all up there isn't that much between DIY and off the shelf. They aren't really that complicated.

The sides of the mount will fit any 8020 profile so you could get that as a seperate item. I ordered the 3 monitor brackets after Brexit and didn't have import issues.

Associate
Unfortunately, I'm not on FB, got rid of it a while ago. Think I'll go with the Sim-Labs option, even if it is slightly more expensive, as the layout looks more customisable. From what I've been able to find of reviews online the Motedis S-Dream has the steering column attached to the pedal plate and as I'm rather tall I want to be able to separate them for a more ergonomic fit.

Update: Went for the Swedish Rig Designs Pro in the end, pairing it with an Abruzzi seat. Now to wait the numerous weeks for it to turn up!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not me... Not got a team or really do any of the endurance type cars/series, shame they don't do like 3-4 hour solo events for loners like me :p

Good luck though, try not to hit all the walls :D

Soldato
Our Bathurst race was ... intresting... in the end. We were in the top split 7Am Saturday race, the 46th lowest IR out of 50 so wasn't expecting to be at the sharp end. A decent start followed by two crashes by me :( meant we were 8 laps back after about an hour in 42nd place. Car still felt ok so we just soldiered on and just see how it goes. Didn't make any mistakes after that (bar a teammate's pit lane speeding penalty) and kept climbing while others crashed. We ended up in 17th despite actually only overtaking a single car for a place on track! :p There was only 20 that took the finish and one of them was over 40 laps back.

Associate
About to take the plunge on this game as have been playing on a 3 month subscription free with my fanatec wheel.

I have done about half a season in the Mx5 and got to D class with some mixed successes but really enjoying it most of time (when you dont get bumped off the road)

Currently there is a 25% discount on 2years membership and I am mainly interested in road so was gonna jump on the skippy season although not sure if it would be best to do a full mx5 season or if there are other options worth considering?

Any tips/ advice would be welcome

Soldato
I can recommend the Skippy, I've been doing it as one of the 4 series this season (cause mental/achievement...) and it's as good as ever :D

But (and you may already know this) it's not free content, you'll need to buy both the car and 'some' of the tracks to run the full season, whilst I believe the MX-5 Rookie championship only uses free content... There's the S2 schedule (at least what was passed onto iRacing, not official as yet) in the forums so you can see what content you might need to buy...

Also I believe, if you like the MX-5, there's a higher class MX-5 series you might be eligible? But the Skippy is great, no real setup options/concerns and very popular so regular races, often/always with splits, and a few drivers doing track guides for it as well to help get up to speed. I'll be running Skippy again next season, maybe as my only series, not decided yet...

Associate
I can recommend the Skippy, I've been doing it as one of the 4 series this season (cause mental/achievement...) and it's as good as ever :D

But (and you may already know this) it's not free content, you'll need to buy both the car and 'some' of the tracks to run the full season, whilst I believe the MX-5 Rookie championship only uses free content... There's the S2 schedule (at least what was passed onto iRacing, not official as yet) in the forums so you can see what content you might need to buy...

Also I believe, if you like the MX-5, there's a higher class MX-5 series you might be eligible? But the Skippy is great, no real setup options/concerns and very popular so regular races, often/always with splits, and a few drivers doing track guides for it as well to help get up to speed. I'll be running Skippy again next season, maybe as my only series, not decided yet...
Thanks for the feedback - yeah when I say take the plunge I realise that the subscription plus season tracks + car is gonna set me back about £250.

Sounds as though the skippy will be a good first choice - I also had my eye on the Ferrari GT3 but will start with the skip. I always like the open wheel class.

Soldato
Only 20 teams out of 50 finished? Ouch! But I guess not too surprising, the mountain bites hard :p

yeah, only 20 out of 50 took the flag in the end. The attrition was probably made worse by the fact there was a 12gmt split as well. If you crashed in the first few hours you could not bother being laps down and go crash in that one instead. :p

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback - yeah when I say take the plunge I realise that the subscription plus season tracks + car is gonna set me back about £250.

Sounds as though the skippy will be a good first choice - I also had my eye on the Ferrari GT3 but will start with the skip. I always like the open wheel class.

Thinking about it a bit more have you driven the SRF at all? Also do you left-foot brake...

I've not actually tried the SRF in years but it used to be somewhat similar to skippy handling, which is a little 'edgy' or whatever, it's pretty hard to drive if you're not a left-foot braker as I find myself constantly modulating throttle+brake in the braking zones to stabilise the car. Might be worth trying as other cars are definitely more 'stable'. If you want I can jump in the SRF later/tomorrow and see if it does still seem similar to compare...

Associate
Thinking about it a bit more have you driven the SRF at all? Also do you left-foot brake...

I've not actually tried the SRF in years but it used to be somewhat similar to skippy handling, which is a little 'edgy' or whatever, it's pretty hard to drive if you're not a left-foot braker as I find myself constantly modulating throttle+brake in the braking zones to stabilise the car. Might be worth trying as other cars are definitely more 'stable'. If you want I can jump in the SRF later/tomorrow and see if it does still seem similar to compare...
No I havent driven the SRF and I do left foot brake.

Just looked at the SRF schedule on the the UI. Seems all the SRF servers are either in AUS/US plus bit nervous about popularity. I wanna be in a series where I can pick an hour slot and reliably be able to race. If nothing else to feel like I am getting my moneys worth!!!

Thanks for suggestion though - think the skippy is for me

Soldato
I wasn't suggesting racing the SRF, that's crazy talk :p More maybe try it before buying the skippy, if they're still similar... got a bit of time so I'll probably fire up an SRF test session/practice and see if they're still at all close...

EDIT: You can officially ignore me, they're no longer that similar after all, bit twitchy on hard braking which can happen in the skippy but otherwise not that close.

Last edited:
Soldato
So today I did my last race of the season, after making the silly decision to try to get the 'Super-Rovaler' award by completing a season (drop weeks allowed) in Road, Oval, Dirt Road and Dirt Oval...

So I picked the Skippy, Late Model, iRX and Dirtcar 358 Modifieds. Coming back to simracing after a long period off it was quite a lot of 'effort' (and a bit of money, even though I was at 100% content before I stopped) to get the full season in, Late Model and iRX required per-track setup and obviously all 4 required a fair bit of practice to get to the point I could race. It ended up often being only 1 race per week per series, if that, and I was rarely as competitive as I'd like.

But I managed it!

And I won't be doing it again next season :D :p

Currently thinking Skippy, and maybe the odd Late Model race, next season, nice and simple and just do more racing and have more fun this time around...

I may think about/try to get into one of the endurance/special events... I did the 24 Hours of Le Mans on there a few years back and it was good fun.

So how did everyone elses season go (for those that do a season as such) and any interesting plans for next one?

Associate
Thanks to work havent had a lot of time for Iracing but i did do a season of GT4 in the Cayman which was fun. Last few races were a disaster though and I went from 2000 IR to 1740 :( I just kept on getting caught up in other peoples spins. Not sure where i will go next season, was thinking GT3's but I really hate how they drive in Iracing. Maybe Indy Pro as I really like it and back to the TCR. I do have a longing to do enduro though now I have a stable system.

Soldato
Ouch on the IR, I kinda feel the same GT3's, got a couple but they just feel a bit numb/lifeless, never sure whether I just need to drive them more... I'm guessing you think the GT4's are pretty good then, other than the IR? :p

Back
Top Bottom