Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [19th - 23rd Feb 2021]

Soldato
The TAA / DCL one is an interesting one. I have a lot of sympathy for TAA because indeed it was accidental (if we ignore the leg raise at the end). But while you're saying it's not fair to TAA to be penalised, how is it any more fair to DCL to be taken out when he had a tap in and not get the penalty?

I believe the argument for the lack of red card is that TAA's slide was all one movement, and began with a genuine attempt to win the ball - even if that attempt was regarding the previous shot in reality.

But ignoring application of the rules to the letter for a moment and just trying to make a moral judgement on what was the 'right' decision - as above, DCL was denied a goal scoring opportunity, so it seems fair to return that opportunity with a penalty. And to send TAA off for a complete accident would have been terribly harsh, so no card feels right too.

I think the ref, despite the abuse he's getting, made the best decision all round that he could have. Using the Luis red card as proof he's wrong doesn't wash, because on the same basis that also shouldn't have been one.

As for Rashford diving. It was a hell of a lot less soft a penalty than several Salah penalties which omnomnom has defended to the hilt. Your saying 'Salah has to do it or he doesn't get the penalty' would hold a lot more weight if you had some consistency and didn't complain whenever any non-Liverpool player goes down under anything other than a rugby tackle. You see what you want to see.

Soldato
The TAA / DCL one is an interesting one. I have a lot of sympathy for TAA because indeed it was accidental (if we ignore the leg raise at the end). But while you're saying it's not fair to TAA to be penalised, how is it any more fair to DCL to be taken out when he had a tap in and not get the penalty?

I believe the argument for the lack of red card is that TAA's slide was all one movement, and began with a genuine attempt to win the ball - even if that attempt was regarding the previous shot in reality.

But ignoring application of the rules to the letter for a moment and just trying to make a moral judgement on what was the 'right' decision - as above, DCL was denied a goal scoring opportunity, so it seems fair to return that opportunity with a penalty. And to send TAA off for a complete accident would have been terribly harsh, so no card feels right too.

I think the ref, despite the abuse he's getting, made the best decision all round that he could have. Using the Luis red card as proof he's wrong doesn't wash, because on the same basis that also shouldn't have been one.

As for Rashford diving. It was a hell of a lot less soft a penalty than several Salah penalties which omnomnom has defended to the hilt. Your saying 'Salah has to do it or he doesn't get the penalty' would hold a lot more weight if you had some consistency and didn't complain whenever any non-Liverpool player goes down under anything other than a rugby tackle. You see what you want to see.

I have said 100 times before i have no problem with players going down easily as they have to, i even said it last night! My issue is he takes a step then both his legs go. From the angles ive seen there is next to no contact.

I have several times on this forum said when it isnt a LFC player that its a penalty when it looks "soft".

The bigger issue from last night anyway is Maguire on Laschelles.

Caporegime
Both Salah and Rashford were dives, there was no actual foul occurred in either that truly impeded them for a contact sport. (Stood on toe thing is nonsense, never does that result in you taking a step and falling like that lol)

Salah has been awful recently for diving/embellishing contact whatever you want to call it. There were times in previous seasons he was pulled/held/pushed a huge amount and got nothing where he should've 'went down' for the foul to be actually given. Recently though he's been flopping, Mane too.

Soldato
Both Salah and Rashford were dives, there was no actual foul occurred in either that truly impeded them for a contact sport. (Stood on toe thing is nonsense, never does that result in you taking a step and falling like that lol)

Salah has been awful recently for diving/embellishing contact whatever you want to call it. There were times in previous seasons he was pulled/held/pushed a huge amount and got nothing where he should've 'went down' for the foul to be actually given. Recently though he's been flopping, Mane too.

That by Salah at the weekend was awful. Embarassing tbh

Don
You're not going to stop diving until officials start doing their job properly. Referrees do not make decisions based on the actions of the defender but the reaction of the forward. Take the Brighton penalty vs us earlier in the season and compare it to an identical incident literally one week later between Leeds and Chelsea. Welbeck throws himself to the ground and a penalty is given, the Leeds player stays on his feet and no penalty is given. Iirc the referree from the Liverpool game was the VAR official for the Leeds game too. Any forward that doesn't throw himself to the ground under any contact right now is a fool because being honest is only going to cost your side points.

As soon as refs start giving fouls for fouls, rather than how convincing the attacker goes to ground then you're half way to solving the problem.

Soldato
You're not going to stop diving until officials start doing their job properly. Referrees do not make decisions based on the actions of the defender but the reaction of the forward. Take the Brighton penalty vs us earlier in the season and compare it to an identical incident literally one week later between Leeds and Chelsea. Welbeck throws himself to the ground and a penalty is given, the Leeds player stays on his feet and no penalty is given. Iirc the referree from the Liverpool game was the VAR official for the Leeds game too. Any forward that doesn't throw himself to the ground under any contact right now is a fool because being honest is only going to cost your side points.

As soon as refs start giving fouls for fouls, rather than how convincing the attacker goes to ground then you're half way to solving the problem.

Which is why i have no issue with players going down and i say this every single week. Pundits are incredibly frustrating as well claiming that there wasnt enough for Salah to go down at the weekend yet Rashfords isnt questioned. Both were absolutely dives.

Don
Which is why i have no issue with players going down and i say this every single week. Pundits are incredibly frustrating as well claiming that there wasnt enough for Salah to go down at the weekend yet Rashfords isnt questioned. Both were absolutely dives.
It's nothing new and isn't going to change. High profile English players are and always have been the golden boys of the media - they're not going to upset these players by accusing them of cheating because they're going to need them for an interview next week. Foreign players are more likely to come and go, if they upset them then so be it.

Caporegime
Ref watch has cleared up the Trent penalty, Gallagher said it was a pen and a red :o

No idea what the rules are about attempting to tackle now. Trent slid across trying to block the shot so how's that a red? I thought it was only if no attempt was made?

Soldato
Ref watch has cleared up the Trent penalty, Gallagher said it was a pen and a red :o

No idea what the rules are about attempting to tackle now. Trent slid across trying to block the shot so how's that a red? I thought it was only if no attempt was made?
So omnomnom was right according to that its should be a red card aswell personally thought it wasnt a pen after i watched it

Caporegime

The problem is referees don't punish diving/simulation, there was a brief period a couple of years ago where they were supposed to be clamping down but it seemed to go out of the window after a few weeks.

I've lost count how many times a player goes down in the penalty area doing 6 rolls and screaming at the referee for a penalty to be awarded, a lengthy VAR review deems it not a foul but no punishment is given for simulation. The player is either fouled or he isn't, if it isn't a foul then clearly it must be simulation to be acting all fouled and demanding the referee award a penalty.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The problem is referees don't punish diving/simulation, there was a brief period a couple of years ago where they were supposed to be clamping down but it seemed to go out of the window after a few weeks.

I've lost count how many times a player goes down in the penalty area doing 6 rolls and screaming at the referee for a penalty to be awarded, a lengthy VAR review deems it not a foul but no punishment is given for simulation. The player is either fouled or he isn't, if it isn't a foul then clearly it must be simulation to be acting all fouled and demanding the referee award a penalty.

The problem is the grey area. Where there is contact but they make it 10x worse than it was. What about where there was contact and they just exaggerate it? There isn't a way to be 100% unless its clear there was no contact and as we know, its hard to tell that without 4-5 angles sometimes. I do agree that players should be booked when they roll over 5 times howling in agony only to get up 10s later. Its just cheating and trying to get players sent off.

Back
Top Bottom