• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
The 5950x really is something.....

I'm seeing people get well over 700 on single core and 14000 on multi though, not sure how they're doing it.

My core clock boosts and ram timings seem a bit poopy! Running at stock... can’t hit FCLK 1900 which is disappointing.

Is this normal or am I missing something? I’m a complete noob so all input welcome!

I can't even boot into FCLK 1900. If I even attempt it I get hit with an 07 error code and need to clear CMOS.

What's odd is I can actually boot at 1933 FCLK lol, although it's WHEA city, literally the event viewer starts being spammed with lots of them.

I'm not sure if it's my cpu, the board and bios, or the fact I'm running 4 sticks of ram.

When you say you can't hit it, do you mean boot or stable? If you can't boot at 1900 FCLK try 1933. It might sound odd, I mean if you can't boot at 1900 why would it boot at an even higher FCLK but it works....

Annoying when I'm seeing people flying past 2000 FCLK etc. Although one thing I've noticed is a lot of these people seem to be serial returners, they send back "bad" cpu's until they get a "good" one.

I don't really agree with that to be honest. There's no guarantee with overclocking and as long as it works to specifications it's not bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, my 5900x is incredible, I'd have liked a 5950x but cost was already a factor ! And that is at stock including the 3200 RAM. Simply no need for me to think about overclocking anything. Speed is insane as it is, mind you it did replace an FX8350 :eek:

Associate
Yes, my 5900x is incredible, I'd have liked a 5950x but cost was already a factor ! And that is at stock including the 3200 RAM. Simply no need for me to think about overclocking anything. Speed is insane as it is, mind you it did replace an FX8350 :eek:

I didn't actually want a 5950x it's just all I could find at the time. It's really overkill as I only game. The 5900x is where's it's at in my opinion

Same with the graphics card, I wanted a 3080 but ended up with a 3090.

In all honesty if it was possible I'd sell up and downgrade. I'd notice zero difference in the games I play but I'd notice the extra money in my pocket lol. But you can't find stock of anything at the moment.

As mad as it might sound I might even have gone with intel had the Z490 supported gen 4 NVMe drives lol. I'm keeping an eye on the 11900k. I've always had intel and I guess it's just a comfort thing.....

Last edited:
Associate
the latest bios messed up something, in the first place they boost the cores with ccx1 instead of ccx0. Do you have that too?

Associate
@LtMatt I just looked at your CPU-Z score that is mad.

The most I've managed is 697 single and 13400 multi. I'm seeing people online now pushing 720ish and 14000 lol

What settings are you using out of interest? Not so that I can copy them, as it wouldn't work. But I'm curious how far you've pushed the curve optimiser and what PPT TDC and EDC settings you're using. Also Scalar and boost override.

My chip isn't a great one, I've seen some people are able to push -30 on most cores, I get instant crashes if I even attempt to do any core at -30.

I've also noticed EDC has a direct effect on multi-thread, when it's set too low it lowers it, and increases it as you raise it but obviously you're then getting higher temps. So it's a balancing act.

I've experimented with Scalar, i.e bench, bios change the setting, reboot, bench but I'm not seeing a difference between x10 or x1.

Ryzen overclocking has so many settings that have an effect on others.

It's not like how it used to be when I had intel, raise the multi- and vcore until it was stable (simplifying it but still)

Associate
I finally put in the time to determine the minimum per-core offset in the Curve Optimizer for my 5950X. Most of them seem stable at -30, with just two three cores needing as much as -15.

5950X_5050MHz_boost.png

This has improved boost clocks a bit, with all of CCD0 now reaching 5050MHz, and all of CCD1 at least 5000MHz. Except core 15. Core 15 falls 50MHz short. You let me down, core 15. You let yourself down.

Last edited:
Soldato
I finally put in the time to determine the minimum per-core offset in the Curve Optimizer for my 5950X. Most of them seem stable at -30, with just two cores needing as much as -15.

5950X_5050MHz_boost.png

This has improved boost clocks a bit, with all of CCD0 now reaching 5050MHz, and all of CCD1 at least 5000MHz. Except core 15. Core 15 falls 50MHz short. You let me down, core 15. You let yourself down.
I wouldn’t mind seeing your effective clock

Associate
I wouldn’t mind seeing your effective clock
Here you go. I ran through Cinebench R20 multithreaded once, then took the screenshot during the single-threaded benchmark.

5950X_effective_clock.png

Note that this is best-case, running it after the CPU had been idle for a while. If the CPU was hot, it would be slower.

Soldato
Nice, what do you have your PPT, TDC and EDC at? Also do you change your VCCG CCD/IOD voltages?, your not boosting as high multi threaded as mine boosts to 4550mhz multi core but mine won’t hit 5ghz effective clock max I can get is 4950mhz effective

Last edited:
Associate
Nice, what do you have your PPT, TDC and EDC at? Also do you change your VCCG CCD/IOD voltages?, your not boosting as high multi threaded as mine boosts to 4550mhz multi core but mine won’t hit 5ghz effective clock max I can get is 4950mhz effective
PPT 142W (default), TDC 95A (default), EDC 110A. All other voltages etc. at default. I made a thread recently about EDC, though I probably need to-retest now that I have moved the curve.

I see from your sig that you have custom water cooling. That will no doubt help the all-core clocks. I have air cooling tuned for low noise rather than low temps.

Soldato
PPT 142W (default), TDC 95A (default), EDC 110A. All other voltages etc. at default. I made a thread recently about EDC, though I probably need to-retest now that I have moved the curve.

I see from your sig that you have custom water cooling. That will no doubt help the all-core clocks. I have air cooling tuned for low noise rather than low temps.
Here is mine for example, you will get a bit better multi core clock of you add to your EDC amps
vcwgjJj.jpg

Associate

What scalar setting are you using and whats your clock override at?

Also have you stress tested with Y-cruncher test 15&16? This test will spit out bad offsets faster than any other stress tests as far as I know.

I had -30 on all cores except the best ones which was at -21 and it would run CB and P95 small packages for hours, but Y-Cruncher would fail within minuttes...

So in my mind a PBO offset curve is not stable before it’s been tested with YC extensively.

Also what is your L3 cache speed like with EDC @110A? Tested in Aida64 mem test

Usually L3 cache speed is tanked with PBO at low EDC values, edit: smth like 350Gb/s for 5600/5800 and 650Gb/s for 5900/5950. Setting EDC to 350a gave me double perf. @720Gb/s edit: so this should give 5900/5950 1200Gb/s at the cost of a bit more temp.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been messing with CO since launch of the 5950x & I've no idea what I'm doing wrong but as soon as I so much as touch CO the system becomes unstable.

Also since the latest bios (1.5) on my X570 MSI Tomahawk, the whole system in general seems unstable.
Random resets, lock-ups & games just quitting back to desktop.

Might flash back to 1.4 where it was stable & just give up on CO

Soldato
I think my 5900x is just bad. I can't get a +25mhz without it crashing at some point. I raised PPT to 184, TDC to 125 and EDC to 170 as recommended by this guy:

https://albertherd.com/2020/12/13/my-experience-with-precision-boost-overdrive-2-on-a-5900x/

and doing the +200mhz as he said it took me like 5 attempts to get into bios to turn it off. Doing a +100mhz it crashed on the first CB run. Before it crashed my temps were hitting 87c using a 280mm AIO unlike his 80c at +200mhz using a 240mm AIO...

For some reason I can't get -15 curve optimiser stable anymore when I used to be able to get -30, maybe something to do with the latest B550 Aorus Pro driver or maybe because I oc'd my ram recently I don't know. Even when using -15, -20 or -30 before I don't think I ever got to 4.6ghz all core. On -15 CO I get just over 4.4ghz and -10 around 4360mhz.

I'm going to try reseating the AIO but I have the feeling the chip is just bad, especially when looking at others getting 5ghz multi on their 5950. I can get 4.95ghz single core no problem so it's fine for most the games I play at least.

Man of Honour
Just a heads up, Windows did an update a couple of days ago and since then my temps were noticeably higher. Bugged me as I had no idea why.

For whatever reason, I didn't bother checking the power plan until now and looks like Windows update had me put on the Higher Performance plan. I can only think it was that as I doubt anything else would have permissions to change that

Anyway, put it back to Balanced and back to idling at 35-40

Associate
Well well... I got sick of the WHEAs and page protection errors and put in for an RMA via AMD rather than going back via Overclockers.co.uk just due to concerns about supply.

AMD got me to run a few things and agreed that an RMA was the appropriate next step. Took about a week in total to sort out the actual collection and return of a replacement processor.

End result is that I have so far a processor which has not shown any WHEA or page protection errors thus far, so fingers crossed this sticks. Also noticed my bench scores have improved. FWIW, the processor I received from Overclockers was actually a newer batch code than the processor I got direct from AMD as part of the RMA.

Associate
Well well... I got sick of the WHEAs and page protection errors and put in for an RMA via AMD rather than going back via Overclockers.co.uk just due to concerns about supply.

AMD got me to run a few things and agreed that an RMA was the appropriate next step. Took about a week in total to sort out the actual collection and return of a replacement processor.

End result is that I have so far a processor which has not shown any WHEA or page protection errors thus far, so fingers crossed this sticks. Also noticed my bench scores have improved. FWIW, the processor I received from Overclockers was actually a newer batch code than the processor I got direct from AMD as part of the RMA.

5900x or 5950x?

Back
Top Bottom