Best Stuff to Use to Protect Car Battery Terminals

Soldato
Hi Guys

I just changed my car battery. What's the best stuff to use to protect the terminal connectors (once they've been reconnected). Should I just cover them with Vaseline or is there something better?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi Guys

I just changed my car battery. What's the best stuff to use to protect the terminal connectors (once they've been reconnected). Should I just cover them with Vaseline or is there something better?

Thanks

Vaseline runs down the side of the battery if you have a hot engine bay. High melting point grease on the terminals before connecting the cables and applied to the connectors afterwards too will keep out moisture.

Associate
Unless your battery is not charging properly you don't need anything on the terminals. The negative corroding means undercharging, Positive is overcharging. Not needed to grease the terminal for years since the intelligent charging is used.

Soldato
have never applied anything, but the batteries in the boot,

lock-down re-charge - became more aware, recently, of risk of letting the flexi-spanner short with the negative as I re-attach the positive, constrained access.

Soldato
OP
Unless your battery is not charging properly you don't need anything on the terminals. The negative corroding means undercharging, Positive is overcharging. Not needed to grease the terminal for years since the intelligent charging is used.

The battery is inside a plastic box, but won't you get some corrosion from damp atmospheric conditions?

What about lithium grease, is that suitable? I've got some of that.

Back
Top Bottom