No service this year.

Associate
I have annual servicing on my MX-5 or 12k miles I believe. I have never owned a car that has 2 yearly intervals but I still think I'd drop the oil yearly even if it was the case.

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy for the sake of £100. If you get a garage to do it, then they can give the car a good look over at the same time. For me, piece of mind is something that matters.

Soldato
OP
I mean the summary of the thread is, you aren't due a service and therefore aren't having a service.

I expect most people were expecting something discussion worthy?
Peoples expectations were not my concern, I was curious who else didn't need to service their cars this year. I have friends who's cars haven't moved at all since last March. I think one of them even SORNed their car as it was a high tax bracket so decent saving.

Soldato
Building to survive the warranty period does seem to be the focus now for so called "premium" brands :/
Manufacturers don't care about longevity only working up until the warranty period.

It always amuses when people think that manufacturers dont care if their cars all go pop after the warranty period, despite selling many of them on PCP/lease where the residual value after that time is one of the most important inputs to the monthly rate the customer pays.

Odd.

Soldato
It always amuses when people think that manufacturers dont care if their cars all go pop after the warranty period, despite selling many of them on PCP/lease where the residual value after that time is one of the most important inputs to the monthly rate the customer pays.

Odd.

Never mind that, just getting people interested in wanting to buy your new cars if the engines are all going bang at 6 years old due to something as simple as inadequate oil changes, it would completely annihilate any brand trust before you've even got them through the door. No manufacturer wants a reputation for unreliable cars, whether it's when they're 2 years old or 12 years old because it reflects poorly on the current range and overall brand regardless. They're certainly not going to risk it over something as trivial as slightly reduced servicing frequency.

Soldato
The fact your oil only costs that much says a lot. Just the oil from Euro and the cheapest they offer is £79 for mine. Filter is another £20.
shell helix and a fram filter? thats about the only thing i think euro car parts is good on.

on the other side if i owned a " get me from A to B " and didnt care what so ever about the car it would be part worns and next to no servicing haha

Soldato
shell helix and a fram filter? thats about the only thing i think euro car parts is good on.

on the other side if i owned a " get me from A to B " and didnt care what so ever about the car it would be part worns and next to no servicing haha

But if I need it to get from A to B. I need it to keep working :p

Soldato
I wonder of those who are getting so butt-hurt by the exceeding the manufacturer's 12 month guideline, how many of them work on their own cars, or have a chemistry or engineering background.

For the record, I'm not concerned about my car this year, and I have no manufacturer's warranty to maintain.

Soldato
I wonder of those who are getting so butt-hurt by the exceeding the manufacturer's 12 month guideline, how many of them work on their own cars, or have a chemistry or engineering background.

For the record, I'm not concerned about my car this year, and I have no manufacturer's warranty to maintain.
The plot twist in this thread was the manufacturer was actually recommending 2 years and it was a non-thread/non-point from the get-go.

Soldato
OP
Im trying to work out his point too. I think I have read it 4 times now and still don’t know :)
What part of "Anyone else only need the MOT this time?" don't you get, it's basically a yes or no answer.
It came about because I hadn't realised how few miles I'd done. It's not just lack of commuting for me but weekends away, day trips.

People just started over thinking it.

Caporegime
What part of "Anyone else only need the MOT this time?" don't you get, it's basically a yes or no answer.
It came about because I hadn't realised how few miles I'd done. It's not just lack of commuting for me but weekends away, day trips.

People just started over thinking it.
I’m not on about you sorry. I’m on about Scythe. When did MOTs get involved

I don’t align my MOT with service anyway

Caporegime
I usually get my car serviced around this time but I’ve done half the mileage I usually do. Part of me is tempted to leave it until the MOT in September and get them both done.

Just checked my MOT history, I’ve only done 9,000 miles since September 2019!

Caporegime
MOTs were involved at post number one.

Ok no need to be angry because i dont read the OP everytime i reply to a comment and you jumped on me for thinking i was replying to your OP, i shall explain more. I was agreeing with your point and was wondering what Skeptic was talking about relative to being 'butt hurt'. I now see the MOT bit which is largely irrelevant to the service and this thread to be honest. One is a legal requirement the other a guideline/choice or a 'warranty maintainer'.

'Only need a MOT' is what many people on 2 yr service intervals anyway, or do you assume all cars are annual?

Anyway i look forward to Skeptics clarification.

Soldato
OP
Ok no need to be angry because i dont read the OP everytime i reply to a comment and you jumped on me for thinking i was replying to your OP, i shall explain more. I was agreeing with your point and was wondering what Skeptic was talking about relative to being 'butt hurt'. I now see the MOT bit which is largely irrelevant to the service and this thread to be honest. One is a legal requirement the other a guideline/choice or a 'warranty maintainer'.

'Only need a MOT' is what many people on 2 yr service intervals anyway, or do you assume all cars are annual?

Anyway i look forward to Skeptics clarification.
:rolleyes:
I'm not angry I was answering your question.
As I've said many many times 18k/2 years.
I normally do about 15k so choose to do the service at the time of the MOT for convenience.

How can my question as the OP be irrelevant? Lol it's a very simple question,

Who has done so few miles last year that they don't need to service their car this year? Really simple.

Back
Top Bottom