Football and the Coronavirus

fez

fez

Caporegime
Scott Parker can complain all he likes, that doesn't change the realities of the situation we're in. The calendar is ****ed this season because neither the PL, FA, EFL, FIFA or UEFA wanted to give an inch. We've got the same number of games, which was already too many for sides in Europe, but we're trying to fit it into an even shorter period than before.

Perhaps teams need to start fighting back. Put out your under 17s if you are forced to play junk internationals etc.

Soldato
Dion Dublin made a very good point on radio 5 last night that the quantity/frequency of games is not that dissimilar to playing in the championship. Players can and do handle it and so it looks bad to suggest the most elite players can't do it, and that top teams moan about a schedule "lesser" teams handle normally without fuss.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Dion Dublin made a very good point on radio 5 last night that the quantity/frequency of games is not that dissimilar to playing in the championship. Players can and do handle it and so it looks bad to suggest the most elite players can't do it, and that top teams moan about a schedule "lesser" teams handle normally without fuss.

The PL is of far higher quality and speed than the championship and we want the best teams in the PL to be able to compete to the best of thier abilities in Europe every season.

Do Championship clubs play as many games as the top PL sides? Seems unlikely with all the cup competitions and the CL/EL. Maybe the smaller ones do.

Soldato
I think his point was about having a short turnaround between matches. The quality doesn't come into it, both are playing oppositions of a similar standard to themselves. Although in Fulham's case that is debatable given their performances to date (albeit better recently)

Caporegime
Well it does, bodies are likely pushed further to the limit at the upper level in training, couple that with more intense matches/further travel its not like for like.

Soldato
Well it does, bodies are likely pushed further to the limit at the upper level in training, couple that with more intense matches/further travel its not like for like.

I think that's an insult to championship clubs who come up and do well against the big teams. That isn't right for premiership players who go down either. If prem teams were so superior they would just win and come straight back up but they don't.

Soldato
Maybe just me (not because Liverpool are doing so bad) but with empty stadiums and ***** VAR I have never been so fed up with football

Agreed not watched a match since beginning of Jan and not bothered about it, it's just so boring now that I'm back to trimming Sky down again, thought I'd get interested in it but realised that I can actually do other things that aren't football related I wonder if I've just been too saturated with it recently but yeah VAR is absolutely killing the game for me it's such a farce that I think they're doing it on purpose to make it seem more difficult than it actually is.

Caporegime
Maybe just me (not because Liverpool are doing so bad) but with empty stadiums and ***** VAR I have never been so fed up with football

I'm sure the lack of fans play into it as well but VAR ruined any chance of me getting excited during a game now, not celebrating our first goal vs manu solidified that.

Think we also have to accept Liverpool being poor does play a part but even whilst top of the league, albeit not by much I didn't particularly enjoy it much more other than watching Liverpool wasn't so pointless

Man of Honour
Fans back in stadiums from 17th May (at the earliest) as part of step 3 in easing restrictions in England.

Stadiums with 40k+ capacity can have 10k fans with smaller stadiums allowed 25% capacity.

Obviously that date can move if cases start going up again, but the 17th would allow fans back for the final day of the PL.

Soldato
Fans back in stadiums from 17th May (at the earliest) as part of step 3 in easing restrictions in England.

Stadiums with 40k+ capacity can have 10k fans with smaller stadiums allowed 25% capacity.

Obviously that date can move if cases start going up again, but the 17th would allow fans back for the final day of the PL.
Seasons basically over by then lol

Don
How is it any different to back when we had the tier system and some clubs could have fans in and some couldn't?
That was dumb too but at least that had economical benefits. This is just one game and gives a big advantage to half the teams.
There's a way of fixing this. The 2nd last round of games is scheduled for the 15-16th May - they can push that round of fixtures back to the midweek so that every team gets 1 home game with fans.

Don
A few reports coming out tonight saying that the PL are going to be given the green light for full capacities for the start of next season! Praise the lord.

Back
Top Bottom