Back seat kickers

Soldato
Shoes off in the car.

Or... rear facing seat with a seat cover.

By the way... children up to the age of 6 should really be in a rear facing seat.

God knows why people ignore the science and have them facing the front.

Out of interest do you have kids? If so, what car do you drive?

Even my 3.5yr old can’t fit facing backwards without his knees by his ears and that’s in a typical family car so I’m genuinely curious how you practically manage it with a 5-6yr old.

Soldato
I didn't even think of weight, that was the reason I moved my son from harness to seat belt at 3 or so. The kids love being able to see, I would love to see somebody try to fold a 6 year old into a rear facing seat. My point about direction is that logical for every car hitting the back of another, there's got to be a car getting rear ended so I guess it depends on whether you trust yourself more than the other morons in the road.

logically the majority of high energy collisions statistically are going to be when travelling forwards. Most (granted not all) rear endings are going to be relatively tame compared to going at 60mph into a tree or an oncoming car so aren’t going to be as life threatening.

That said, while the theory is great and all I just don’t think it’s practical or realistic for most people to have their 3-6yr old facing rearwards. Drive safely and defensively with your kids in the car and you’ll go a substantial way towards mitigating the risks whatever way they are facing!

Man of Honour
Rear facing 5/6 year olds is no problem unless they are abnormally large. They just sit cross legged. The push to get kids forward facing ASAP is often driven by prioritising comfort or keeping up with other parents. Also, ERF seats are more expensive and require more space in the rear. Everyone is different and has different priorities. Some prioritise other aspects over safety as they are happy with the risk as they perceive it, and that’s ultimately up to those families. Saying the kids won’t fit though is weak, because they probably would.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Rear facing 5/6 year olds is no problem unless they are abnormally large. They just sit cross legged. The push to get kids forward facing ASAP is often driven by prioritising comfort or keeping up with other parents. Also, ERF seats are more expensive and require more space in the rear. Everyone is different and has different priorities. Some prioritise other aspects over safety as they are happy with the risk as they perceive it, and that’s ultimately up to those families. Saying the kids won’t fit though is weak, because they probably would.
I completely agree with you. We’ve spent at least a grand on various car seats over the years and we kept our eldest in the Concord Reverso as long as possible but he just outgrew it. I remember we had him in it on a summer holiday just before his 3rd birthday and it was just too small as he had long legs.
FWIW he’s 5 and a half now and almost 125cm..

Soldato
I completely agree with you. We’ve spent at least a grand on various car seats over the years and we kept our eldest in the Concord Reverso as long as possible but he just outgrew it. I remember we had him in it on a summer holiday just before his 3rd birthday and it was just too small as he had long legs.
FWIW he’s 5 and a half now and almost 125cm..
Wow he's going to be a giant, my 7 year old isn't much taller, what's he on the 100th centile:D.

Soldato
Out of interest do you have kids? If so, what car do you drive?

Even my 3.5yr old can’t fit facing backwards without his knees by his ears and that’s in a typical family car so I’m genuinely curious how you practically manage it with a 5-6yr old.
I do.
Mazda 3.

Hes 2.5yrs old.

He will be in the rear seat until he doesn't fit.

Soldato
My little one goes behind the passenger seat and I drive 99% of the time.

We have one of those storage pocket things posted further up which is handy for some of her crap and stops her marking the seat.

We had her facing backwards for as long as we could and were reluctant to face her forward but her legs were just cramped and she was kicking off more than often.

I dunno what's safer, forward facing and the driver being relaxed and able to concentrate on the road or rear facing and a small child going nuts behind you, it really can throw your mood and concentration whilst driving imo.

Soldato
My little one goes behind the passenger seat and I drive 99% of the time.

We have one of those storage pocket things posted further up which is handy for some of her crap and stops her marking the seat.

We had her facing backwards for as long as we could and were reluctant to face her forward but her legs were just cramped and she was kicking off more than often.

I dunno what's safer, forward facing and the driver being relaxed and able to concentrate on the road or rear facing and a small child going nuts behind you, it really can throw your mood and concentration whilst driving imo.
It's amazing how distracting they can be, I've had a full on lose my temper moment with them because they wouldn't shut it and its not good when driving. I'm wondering about buying a limo with one of those sound proof screens:D.

Soldato
It's amazing how distracting they can be, I've had a full on lose my temper moment with them because they wouldn't shut it and its not good when driving. I'm wondering about buying a limo with one of those sound proof screens:D.

That would be bliss :D

We've had full on melt down a couple of times back there, telling her to stop when she is in one is like p***ing into the wind, you have to pull over and try to calm everyone down.

Kids ey.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Well he's waaaay above the 95th! Tallest kid in the country there.

MJT, are you mates with that bloke on here who has the obese 4 year old that's nothing but muscle?
Ha. He's not fat all but my partner is almost 6ft and her cousins are probably over 6'5". Danish vikings innit

Caporegime
My son is only 18 month and already in a forward facing Recaro Hero. I was a bit annoyed as we spent decent wedge on an isofix and was hoping to use it till he was three. All the midwife's said he was long in the leg when they came to measure him. I'm 6"3' and my missus 5"9' so quite tall.

Back
Top Bottom