** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
I just saw the video of the skycrane lowering the rover down onto the surface, before flying away.

I think for me, that's the most impressive feat of technical engineering and science I've ever seen in my life.

My mind is blown.

Associate
I'm genuinely staggered that the quality is as good as it is. Given the challenges and distances involved.

Oh for sure! But NASA's choice to always stream in 720p along with Youtubes livestream compression will be hurting things quite a bit. This is monumental and I want to see it in all its glory. :D

Associate
The images and video from Mars are outstanding.

It's such a pity Nasa's earthly streams suck. 720p and constant audio dropouts, perhaps they should save a million bucks from sending an orange to the ISS and improve their media :D

Soldato
Ok, I cried. My memory of the Apollo 11 landing is very hazy... I was 6 and my Dad'd got me out of bed while he got ready for an early shift. But that B&W memory now has something a bit more vivid to add to the memories of the first Shuttle launch, the Columbia disaster, and other space travel milestones. Spectacular to see something built here land on Mars in such detail.

I'm frankly gobsmacked that such a complex landing sequence worked so well though! Remarkable achievement.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
It's probably been said a million times but it's awesome how the surface looks so similar to a desert on our planet, and they say there's billions of planets out there!

As Shakespeare said:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Man of Honour
^ Don't forget that Mars was once like Earth so it makes total sense that the current landscape resembles an Earthly desert wasteland. This rover will be drilling into rocks and underground to see if there's signs of previous life (or maybe current) so the science they do will definitely be highly interesting and I am certain we will have plenty f big news from this project in coming months.

Back
Top Bottom