spec me a new modem/router please

Associate
Complete novice here i have just been given a sky er115 bit of an upgrade from the sr102, nothing really wrong with my speed or service but i cannot help myself and feel i would prefer my own modem/router netgears are abit out of my happy price range so i have been looking at tp-links namely the ac2100.
i will be using the modem/router with sky fibre. I already have my login details so no issues there.
any suggestions appreciated.

Soldato
That sounds familiar. I was on this path a while ago, now I have a dedicated modem, router, switches and a WAP (and many spares). Are you after an all-in-one solution, i.e. modem/router/switch/ap?

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

Associate
OP
That sounds familiar. I was on this path a while ago, now I have a dedicated modem, router, switches and a WAP (and many spares). Are you after an all-in-one solution, i.e. modem/router/switch/ap?

What are you trying to achieve exactly?
oh i am not really after achieving anything just looking to replace the cheap n nasty sky unit for something more reliable, better interface and maybe future proof, yes all in one modem/router

Soldato
I think my Vodafone router is on its way out, WiFi keeps dropping out, keep loosing the internet, but all ethernet connections to it are ok.

I either need to replace or go down the mesh route.
Currently have power lines, to get better WiFi upstairs.
So could ditch those with a mesh, or stick with them and just get a new router.....hmmmm......

Soldato
Vodafone’s stock modem/router/access point won’t let you run in modem mode so anything downstream will be double NAT’d.

So you’ll need an Openreach modem. Either a used ECI or Huawei modem from eBay (~£15) a new Draytek Vigor 130 (~£90). And then a nice shiny new router/access point. The Honor Router 3 is currently on offer for £34 incl. delivery and it’s genuinely the bargain of the century so far. A proper WiFi6 router/access point for £30 plus delivery.

eBay modem and Honor Router 3 - and I can pretty much guarantee you’ll be a lot happier. You can even add other Honor Router 3 units as meshed access points if you need better wireless coverage.

Soldato
Vodafone’s stock modem/router/access point won’t let you run in modem mode so anything downstream will be double NAT’d.

So you’ll need an Openreach modem. Either a used ECI or Huawei modem from eBay (~£15) a new Draytek Vigor 130 (~£90). And then a nice shiny new router/access point. The Honor Router 3 is currently on offer for £34 incl. delivery and it’s genuinely the bargain of the century so far. A proper WiFi6 router/access point for £30 plus delivery.

eBay modem and Honor Router 3 - and I can pretty much guarantee you’ll be a lot happier. You can even add other Honor Router 3 units as meshed access points if you need better wireless coverage.

I saw the Honor 3 for super cheap, I was going to grab one, but then realised I needed a modem too.

Then an ASUS modem/router popped up in the MM for £35, so I bought that for now.

Associate

If your with Vodafone ask them for he Radius user name and PW..

i ran a nighthawk D7000 with modem for years.

Back
Top Bottom