• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA pretends to care about gamers.

Soldato
I liked the point about it nuking the secondhand market.

If you make sure XX% of your cards are trash for secondhand use you force more new sales. Since there's no money for the company in secondhand sales this is attractive.

Soldato
Since there's no money for the company in secondhand sales this is attractive.

How long until Nvidia offers its first PCP graphics card and customers trade in their 3 year old graphics card for a new one, with the old one going into “approved” second hand outlets? I’m joking, but the current state of supply and value of second hand cards would support such a scheme.

Associate
Linus is spot on with this, it’s a very clever move by Nvidia. By preventing mining farms from being able to flood the market with cheap gaming cards every time the crypto market crashes Nvidia forces gamers to buy new cards from them, keeping up sales and prices.

Man of Honour
Once NVidia card force miners to buy CMP cards they can make even more money by increasing prices on them.

If a miner can get a CMP card that runs at 100% instead of 50% for a gaming card even if NVidia make the CMP card 20% more expensive they are still going to sell.

I agree NVidias motives have nothing to do with helping gamers and everything to do with maxing profits by segmenting the market.

Permabanned
Once NVidia card force miners to buy CMP cards they can make even more money by increasing prices on them.

If a miner can get a CMP card that runs at 100% instead of 50% for a gaming card even if NVidia make the CMP card 20% more expensive they are still going to sell.

I agree NVidias motives have nothing to do with helping gamers and everything to do with maxing profits by segmenting the market.

You can bet they will be doing the maths and cutting the miners margins as much as they can get away with.

Permabanned
Whether there are ulterior motives or side benefits or not, it doesn't matter to me. If this move diverts their consumer cards away from the miners then I'm all for it. Mining is an absolute pox.

The way I see it, all this is a move to deprive gamers of a second hand market. What they are really doing here is making darn sure that gamers HAVE to buy new, which benefits NVIDIA as opposed to used which benefits ebay.

Soldato
Nvidia should just do what AMD is doing regarding the current situation (Pretend it's not happening)

I don't think AMD is actually concentrating on the pc market at all. The consoles is where it's at with them. 150m+ PS4/XB1 customers upgrading is not to be ignored.

Caporegime
I don't think AMD is actually concentrating on the pc market at all. The consoles is where it's at with them. 150m+ PS4/XB1 customers upgrading is not to be ignored.
This.

It should be pretty obvious from the CES event they did a month or 2 ago there, literally about 1 minute was spent on desktop gaming GPUs, their entire show and ethos is about partnering with other big companies and being their supplier for anything CPU, GPU related where as nvidias show was entirely dedicated to "PC gamers".

Ultimately neither one cares about us and AMD are making the right choices with getting their fingers in as many pies as possible. Those multi million/billion $$$ contracts with the likes of Microsoft, Sony etc. are far more lucrative than getting a couple of hundred or so pounds of profit per a GPU sold to a PC gamer/miner.....

Caporegime
This.

It should be pretty obvious from the CES event they did a month or 2 ago there, literally about 1 minute was spent on desktop gaming GPUs, their entire show and ethos is about partnering with other big companies and being their supplier for anything CPU, GPU related where as nvidias show was entirely dedicated to "PC gamers".

Ultimately neither one cares about us and AMD are making the right choices with getting their fingers in as many pies as possible. Those multi million/billion $$$ contracts with the likes of Microsoft, Sony etc. are far more lucrative than getting a couple of hundred or so pounds of profit per a GPU sold to a PC gamer/miner.....

So much cringe from AMD in that...

Many years ago AMD decided, wisely IMO, that it would be a good idea to partner with MS and Sony for a more reliable income, Nvidia own the PC gamers market and there isn't much AMD can do about that without a MASSIVE investment, money they don't have.

Now that partnership runs so deep Sony and MS have priority over the Silicon AMD have access to, both GPU and CPU production is suffering, with the momentum AMD have in the CPU space i'm pretty sure they don't like it, just when they have Intel on the ropes and need to keep that momentum up 80% of AMD's wafer supply is dedicated to Consoles, i don't think AMD have a choice in that its contractual.

Associate
What can Nvidia or AMD actually do about it tho? Crypto Miners gonn'a mine Crypto.

All we can do is hope the bubble bursts sooner rather than later.
I guess buy a PS5 instead and forget about things until the mining bubble bursts (I dont know if that would be months, or even a year time?). Sad times but cards are too expensive/hard to get (hopefully would encourage prices to drop after the burst).

I do hope the miners dont find a way of mining with PS5's; surely they would be capable?

Caporegime
I guess buy a PS5 instead and forget about things until the mining bubble bursts (I dont know if that would be months, or even a year time?). Sad times but cards are too expensive/hard to get (hopefully would encourage prices to drop after the burst).

I do hope the miners dont find a way of mining with PS5's; surely they would be capable?

They are already buying up entire laptops on mass to use for mining, if they can find away to use Consoles for mining they will...

Back
Top Bottom