*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
What sort of throughput should I be expecting on the U6-Lite @ 5GHz?

I’m trying to test mine using the throughout test on the controller but the levels seem lower than I would have expected.

Thanks in advance.

My phone is the Pixel 4 XL and can easy max out my VM 350/380Mbps connection on my phone. AP can do more but it's a phone so would never need it as its YouTube/Spotify mainly

Soldato
For comparison, a test from my iPhone 12 Pro to an AP-AC-LR. Not bad figures for 802.11ac.
Eoyefpw-XYAAyw-XR.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for all of the responses guys really interesting for comparison.

I managed to squeeze in a couple of quick tests tonight and this is what I was getting. Please note the test was run with the phone only 2-3m away from the AP with only a solid wood door in between. I used the Unifi network app on my iPhone X which I think tests the connection back to my controller (running on a Synology NAS) via the AP.

I would really appreciate it if someone can confirm this?

I ran the test for about 30 seconds or so and was getting a pretty consistent:

~290Mbps @ 40MHz Channel Width
~500Mbps @ 80MHz Channel Width

What channel widths are you using for 5GHz?

Soldato
Lol. I’m not getting that on some WiFi6 clients. That’s incredible quite frankly.

I was quite surprised too. Not bad for 802.11ac and I guess it shows the value in having spent the time tuning the AP config. I could probably tune them more if I farted about with the minimum RSSI but tbh I don't really see the point, I'm happy with how they're current configured.

80MHz channel width, medium power.

Soldato
I used the Unifi network app on my iPhone X which I think tests the connection back to my controller (running on a Synology NAS) via the AP.

I would really appreciate it if someone can confirm this?

Confirmed. It makes that particular test not of too much use for me, my controller sits on a VPS which only has about 200Mbps to play with so it can't max out the downstream of my internet connection.

Soldato
I only use iPerf. And I get 220-400Mbps on my iPhone 7 depending where I am in the house or garden and between 350 and 700 on my iPad Pro. I can flatline the AX connection at 975Mbps with my desktop using a 4x4 ASUS WiFi6 PCIe card.

I also have a HP Dragonfly laptop which is AX 2x2 and that struggles to get 600Mbps in most locations in the house.

Soldato
Normally I'd use iPerf, but from whatever reason the wifi card in my laptop gives *hideous* upload speeds of < 1Mbps. It isn't unique to a Ubiquiti AP either. I really should set aside some time and try and work out why it's so poor.

I know there's iPerf clients for iOS but I've found them quite hit and miss.

Man of Honour
I have found the app wireless test to be far from accurate. My controller lives on a VM with 10 Gb network backing and I can max that doing iPerf tests from different devices. However my iPhone struggles above 10 Mbps yet when I do an actual internet speed test on it I get line speed (50 Mbps), so something doesn't add up.

Soldato
Has anyone here had much joy with TVs that won't join 5Ghz AC networks?

I've got a TCL C185K with AC WiFi. For some reason, it only joins my 2.4Ghz band.

Its only ~5 meters from a nanoHD AP, direct line of sight. Other devices in the same room connect and get over 500mbps performance (Actual internet performance using my 500mbit VMG internet).

Using the Netflix App 'Troubleshooting', this suggests I'm only getting about 50-70mbits via the Wireless N network.

All/any help appreciated.

Soldato
Has anyone here had much joy with TVs that won't join 5Ghz AC networks?

I've got a TCL C185K with AC WiFi. For some reason, it only joins my 2.4Ghz band.

Its only ~5 meters from a nanoHD AP, direct line of sight. Other devices in the same room connect and get over 500mbps performance (Actual internet performance using my 500mbit VMG internet).

Using the Netflix App 'Troubleshooting', this suggests I'm only getting about 50-70mbits via the Wireless N network.

All/any help appreciated.

What channel is your 5Ghz on? Some TVs it seems (LG c8 OLED in my case), don't like DFS channels

Associate
Can you help in checking my requirements here please?

Hopefully by the middle of this year I will be getting Starlink to supplement our pathetic FTTC connection, but given this is in Beta I would want to keep both connections in the short term.

I am hoping that this is possible by purchasing a USG gateway / router and using the WAN1/2 fall over. Do you think this will be able to cope with the potential 1gbps Starlink would offer in the future?

Am I also correct in thinking I would just then need to add access points as required for wi-fi? I would host the controller on my Synology via docker.

Anything I missed? Or that could be improved?

Back
Top Bottom