Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Associate
I use Amazon Music. We pay the £5 extra for the HD option so you get a higher bitrate stream. The whole family uses it and I rarely find something that isn't on it. The iOS/Android apps for it are fine to use. Needless to say the Alexa integration is seamless.

I've used Spotify and Apple Music in the past and can't really see a whole of difference in library or function.

Soldato
I use Amazon Music Unlimited which is another choice. Works out really cheap if you get a family membership for £14.99 a month or £149 for the year then split it. You can have 6 Amazon accounts on the plan and use multiple devices on each of them.
My family currently use Spotify mainly for their phones.

So if we instead move to Amazon Music Unlimited our four phones can all play from the Amazon music library, and all our Amazon Echos (say 5 of them)? So we'd have four accounts from my understanding?
  • Account 1 (the primary Amazon one) - A phone and 5 amazon echos
  • Account 2 - A phone
  • Account 3 - A phone
  • Account 4 - A phone

Am I understanding things right? And all these devices, phones and echos, could be streaming music independently?

ps: Playlists etc are stored per account?

Soldato
Each person needs an Amazon account and you create an Amazon family and share the subscription through that.
So my two kids would need Amazon accounts to allow the amazon music from their phones?

And then for our primary Amazon account, that would then allow a phone, and say FIVE echos all to stream music independently?

Associate
So my two kids would need Amazon accounts to allow the amazon music from their phones?

And then for our primary Amazon account, that would then allow a phone, and say FIVE echos all to stream music independently?

The text on the Amazon page is-
Family members invited by email must be at least 13 years old and have a standard Amazon account in order to join your Family Plan.

Once done though then they can have their own playlists and play independently of each other. We have all the Echos signed into the main account for other reasons so the kids can't access their playlists directly on the Echos in their rooms. However they can open a playlist on their phones and then bluetooth to their Echo.

Soldato
The text on the Amazon page is-
Family members invited by email must be at least 13 years old and have a standard Amazon account in order to join your Family Plan.

Once done though then they can have their own playlists and play independently of each other. We have all the Echos signed into the main account for other reasons so the kids can't access their playlists directly on the Echos in their rooms. However they can open a playlist on their phones and then bluetooth to their Echo.
That all makes sense... Thanks

And with all the echos on the main account (as we currently do too) they can all be playing music independently? ie: Echo X can be streaming tune A, while Echo Y can be streaming tune B?

Soldato
Quick question, with an android phone should you be able to select which echo device you want to stream to with Spotify? It works perfectly with my iPhone, I can can select individual ones or groups that I’ve set up but on my wife’s android phone so only has one speaker show up which is a Sonos and none of the echo speakers show up.

I’ve installed the Amazon app on her phone and she can see the echo speakers that way but not through Spotify. We have a family account so each have a separate account but can’t see any settings that look different on hers.

Back
Top Bottom