Slept on my shoulder

Soldato
I've had this once before with my neck but never with a shoulder. I awoke on Saturday morning with a dead arm after sleeping on it, but once the pins and needles wore off I couldn't lift my arm! There was a sharp shoulder pain with any attempt at movement. Gradually over the past few days I got a bit more mobility each day and am now back to 95% full movement with just a dull pain.

Has anyone else had this?

PS I'm 44 and in pretty good shape.

Soldato
Not had it that bad, but have woke up before, after having slept on my arm, and when I woke up the thing flopped around like a dead salmon and smacked the girl I was with right on the tit.

Soldato
I've had this once before with my neck but never with a shoulder. I awoke on Saturday morning with a dead arm after sleeping on it, but once the pins and needles wore off I couldn't lift my arm! There was a sharp shoulder pain with any attempt at movement. Gradually over the past few days I got a bit more mobility each day and am now back to 95% full movement with just a dull pain.

Had something like this in my 20s. Had no strength at all in that arm (my left). It was bad enough that I couldn't even support myself with both hand if I went on all fours. Had to do one arm push ups on the right.

The doctor sent me for an x-ray, strange as presumably it would be muscular or nerve related. They said they could see some kind of shadow on the image. Anyhow, it went away eventually and I regained full strength after a few months.

Things like this it's usually the neck. It's surprising how high minor damage up the neck can affect the arm.

Caporegime
Woke up once with an arm that was so dead, I panicked for a few seconds as I thought I’d had a stroke. Calmed down when I realised I could move my leg on the same side. Took a little while for all the blood to flow back in.

Associate
I'd contact you GP. You might need it amputated. My uncle did this and they had to remove his left leg from the wrist down. He had to give up his job as a fireperson (#gendernutralwokeness) as he simply couldn't bricklay with 7 fingers removed.

Commissario
Every
Single
Night

Since I broke my shoulder, if I sleep on my left side, I can guarantee this will happen, however when I wake, it's both arms that are dead and it takes a few minutes for them to wake up once I struggle onto my back.

The strange thing is that I broke my right shoulder.

I've always slept on my left side so I naturally turn that way without knowing it once I've fallen asleep. I can lay on my right side but it's uncomfortable after a while and so I just live with the fact that I'm probably never going to have an undisturbed night again.

Caporegime
Just LOL if you read 'Slept on my shoulder' and didn't immediately think of the Sinead O Connor line 'Guess what he told me' from the popular song 'Nothing Compares 2 U' which we're now all singing in our heads, thanks Obama :mad:

e: Noobs.

Soldato
OP
Had something like this in my 20s. Had no strength at all in that arm (my left). It was bad enough that I couldn't even support myself with both hand if I went on all fours. Had to do one arm push ups on the right.

The doctor sent me for an x-ray, strange as presumably it would be muscular or nerve related. They said they could see some kind of shadow on the image. Anyhow, it went away eventually and I regained full strength after a few months.

Things like this it's usually the neck. It's surprising how high minor damage up the neck can affect the arm.

I had something the doctors referred to as "loss of feeling" in one arm following a motorbike accident in my teens, feeling came back in about a week.

Soldato
OP
Every
Single
Night

Since I broke my shoulder, if I sleep on my left side, I can guarantee this will happen, however when I wake, it's both arms that are dead and it takes a few minutes for them to wake up once I struggle onto my back.

The strange thing is that I broke my right shoulder.

I've always slept on my left side so I naturally turn that way without knowing it once I've fallen asleep. I can lay on my right side but it's uncomfortable after a while and so I just live with the fact that I'm probably never going to have an undisturbed night again.

Sorry to hear about this :(

I too am a side sleeper, preferring one side, and after nodding off I turn onto my left side.

Soldato

Funny to see this post as this happened to me last night! I'm 36 next month and reasonably fit. I don't normally sleep on my front but I woke up in that position with my arms crossed under my pillow. Dead left arm all day with pins and needles (and the shake).

- I moved a 850kg pallet at work yesterday with a manual pallet truck and was thinking I just needed to man up.

Back
Top Bottom