• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS 2.0: why aren’t more people raving about it?

TrM

TrM

Associate
I don't know, if AMD had this feature I bet people would be raving about it, there seems to be a large portion of people that dislike everything to do with RT, which strangely includes DLSS, you would hope the pressure on developers to implement this feature would be extremely high given the performance uplift but many don't seem to care. Could also have something do with nvidia's 20 series pricing forcing users to looks for cheaper alternatives, 30 series availability, or even the old AMD bias which still seems to inflict some users.

If developers favour AMD / nvidia hardware to the point of ignoring features like this, while delivering a sub-par performance experience then I won't buy their game.... Maybe buy it on sale or obtain through other means, try before you buy is still my policy for games where possible.

Its allways the same with anything nvidia bring to the table its for nvidia gpu's only.

dlss 2.0 is very good in the very few games that support it. and i think every game sould have it in But not everyone wants to add and work with nvidia to implement a feature. the extension for the engine might make it easier for them to implement.

i felt that g-sync was a good addition to nvidia's gpu but the sheer price increase to buy a monitor and being locked into nvidia ecco system. amd brought out freesync which was a open standard and nvidia even adopted it into there drivers which opened up a very good tech to everyone with no real price increase for a module in the monitor.

i bring up g-sync freeesync because i feel the same will happen again. the leaks coming out about amd version of dlss and using microsoft standard ml (if the leaks are true) will bring DLSS and amd version to the forfront. whilst i dont think amd version will be as good as nvidia and i cant see it being totally in every game like amd has said. BUt since nvidia can also use microsoft ML also on there RT cores i can see a hybrid way going forward for devs.

for DLSS or microsoft ML to be used to full effect both amd and nvidia and consoles all need to push it forward. I can see a big uptake once amd version is out in the wild

Soldato
I strongly disagree that IPS panels look crap. Cheap, substandard ones maybe, but not a quality panel of at least £500 or more

They have poor color contrast and black levels which is a major annoyance for me. They also are unable to do proper HDR because of this

turn your room lights off and the screen looks grey, yuck

I know you guys talk about motion handling but for me it's all about the visuals

Soldato
They have poor color contrast and black levels which is a major annoyance for me. They also are unable to do proper HDR because of this

turn your room lights off and the screen looks grey, yuck

I know you guys talk about motion handling but for me it's all about the visuals

HDR on Windows is terrible even a console looks better and that’s not on come on Microsoft fix this .

Man of Honour
My Dell UltraSharp U2913WM IPS looks very good - not the deep blacks of some of the better OLED/QLED stuff but decent and colours are excellent. Probably helps it has almost non-existent backlight bleed though which ruins a lot of otherwise great monitors.

HDR on Windows is terrible even a console looks better and that’s not on come on Microsoft fix this .

Yeah it is ridiculous - there is some graininess and issues with text rendering in Windows 10 with HDR even when it is working correctly - though it generally works OK in games and movies.

Soldato
I was thinking about this recently, given I got a CRT TV back in the house for old games consoles.

We've been chasing resolution and getting games working at native res on increasingly bigger and dense flat panel displays, which has driven the need for technologies like DLSS. A lot of time and effort going into chasing resolution and clarity on fixed pixel displays that if we were still using CRT we would be less worried about, given how they handle lower resolutions much more elegantly. Not to mention motion handling and response time. I do wonder if the real PC gamers are using the wrong technology and we should have stuck with CRT or some other alternative that didn't take up your whole desk but retains some of the benefits. Makes me wonder how CRTs could have been optimised if they were still being actively developed. If someone started building them again and could make them a reasonable price, I would seriously consider it, size be damned. Most of the 'free' and 'cheap' ones in the UK seem to have gone and we're now at the mercy of crazy eBay prices. Shame.

I guess this could be an unpopular opinion here but have at me.

EDIT: Also if you fancy getting rid of your old Trinitron CRT I'll give you a tenner for it. Negotiable.

Suspended
Its allways the same with anything nvidia bring to the table its for nvidia gpu's only.

dlss 2.0 is very good in the very few games that support it. and i think every game sould have it in But not everyone wants to add and work with nvidia to implement a feature. the extension for the engine might make it easier for them to implement.

i felt that g-sync was a good addition to nvidia's gpu but the sheer price increase to buy a monitor and being locked into nvidia ecco system. amd brought out freesync which was a open standard and nvidia even adopted it into there drivers which opened up a very good tech to everyone with no real price increase for a module in the monitor.

i bring up g-sync freeesync because i feel the same will happen again. the leaks coming out about amd version of dlss and using microsoft standard ml (if the leaks are true) will bring DLSS and amd version to the forfront. whilst i dont think amd version will be as good as nvidia and i cant see it being totally in every game like amd has said. BUt since nvidia can also use microsoft ML also on there RT cores i can see a hybrid way going forward for devs.

for DLSS or microsoft ML to be used to full effect both amd and nvidia and consoles all need to push it forward. I can see a big uptake once amd version is out in the wild

The majority of high end cards are nvidia, the steam survey shows that, developers priorities should be clear imo.

I want AMD to compete, competition is great for prices but they haven't been competitive for years, and this is the cost, they don't deserve any special treatment from developers.

Last edited:

TrM

TrM

Associate
The majority of high end cards are nvidia, the stream survey shows that, developers priorities should be clear imo.

I want AMD to compete, competition is great for prices but they haven't been competitive for years, and this is the cost, they don't deserve any loyalty or special treatment from developers.

the steam servay shows most people own mid range nvidia graphic cards:) and not many Ray tracing ones either:)

but i never said amd deserve special treatment or loyalty but Nvidia lock everything to themself from buying phyx to g-sync the list goes on. But also dont forget a lot more this generation with have some sort of Amd graphics be it on pc with the 6000 series or the ps5 and xbox So amd have a lot more to leverage in there technology then ever before.

i own a nvidia gpu myself a 3080. but i still feel dlss 2.0 is into few games for it to be the game Changer i belive it could be. But amd open aproach will push some form of DLSS and lets see if nvidia fold and either use amd way or a hybrid way just like freesync oh sorry i mean g-sync compaitble monitors:)

Caporegime
Started control last night as couldn't get on with it first time it came out. Actually a great little game if you like powers/telekinesis etc.

DLSS is really good in this, seems to work better than in cyberpunk too as the trailing/ghosting in motion is much less obvious, possibly largely down to the somewhat muted colour/art style of control or/and the consistently higher FPS....

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Started control last night as couldn't get on with it first time it came out. Actually a great little game if you like powers/telekinesis etc.

DLSS is really good in this, seems to work better than in cyberpunk too as the trailing/ghosting in motion is much less obvious, possibly largely down to the somewhat muted colour/art style of control or/and the consistently higher FPS....
At the start, walk towards portrait pictures on the walls and see if from far away they are lower quality and as you get closer if they just pop in. Also with text on walls. That is the issue I had when I tried it last year. Only happened when dlss was on.

Suspended
the steam servay shows most people own mid range nvidia graphic cards:) and not many Ray tracing ones either:)

but i never said amd deserve special treatment or loyalty but Nvidia lock everything to themself from buying phyx to g-sync the list goes on. But also dont forget a lot more this generation with have some sort of Amd graphics be it on pc with the 6000 series or the ps5 and xbox So amd have a lot more to leverage in there technology then ever before.

i own a nvidia gpu myself a 3080. but i still feel dlss 2.0 is into few games for it to be the game Changer i belive it could be. But amd open aproach will push some form of DLSS and lets see if nvidia fold and either use amd way or a hybrid way just like freesync oh sorry i mean g-sync compaitble monitors:)

New games are pushing graphics so their main concern is high end and mid range. Adding the percentages up for all the 20 series and what little 30 series is out there would be substantial.

Mid range is also dominated by nvidia, in fact every category is dominated by nvidia (74% of all users are on nvidia hardware), doesn't stop games like Valhalla running like crap on nvidia cards compared to an AMD equivalent.

Last edited:
Caporegime
At the start, walk towards portrait pictures on the walls and see if from far away they are lower quality and as you get closer if they just pop in. Also with text on walls. That is the issue I had when I tried it last year. Only happened when dlss was on.

Can't say I noticed anything like that last night, will look out for it when on it tonight though.

Associate

I noticed that when I first got my 3080 and was trying some RTX/DLSS games out, the pictures on the wall looked really low res I thought it was just the way the game was streaming in assets but it must have been DLSS.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I noticed that when I first got my 3080 and was trying some RTX/DLSS games out, the pictures on the wall looked really low res I thought it was just the way the game was streaming in assets but it must have been DLSS.
Yeah, same. Then I turned off DLSS and it did not do it. There was one other game that did it also, but can't remember which now. Can't say I recall it happening in Cyberpunk 2077 though.

Soldato
New games are pushing graphics so their main concern is high end and mid range. Adding the percentages up for all the 20 series and what little 30 series is out there would be substantial.

Mid range is also dominated by nvidia, in fact every category is dominated by nvidia (74% of all users are on nvidia hardware), doesn't stop games like Valhalla running like crap on nvidia cards compared to an AMD equivalent.

I'm so very bored right now I actually did just that, roughly 12.5% of the steam survey sample has a 20/30 series nvidia card... Who is going to go and spend development time on DLSS for those cards, especially when they essentially represent the *most* powerful cards on the survey and least likely to need extra performance...

Soldato
I'm so very bored right now I actually did just that, roughly 12.5% of the steam survey sample has a 20/30 series nvidia card... Who is going to go and spend development time on DLSS for those cards, especially when they essentially represent the *most* powerful cards on the survey and least likely to need extra performance...

They won't even if they want to it will still require some nvidia support, its why if vendors want a feature cool new feature to be used then they tend to pay for the dev time or put it in with there own engineers.

Ether way, you want new features to be used someone has to start the ball rolling some how

Associate
the main question is if its so good, why arnt all devs using it (since the theory is free performance uplift right? meaning the game could allow more people with lower spec machines to play it) and the only conclusion that can be made is the extra cost/s involved.
People forget that nvidia subsidise developer dev costs for implementating it as a way of marketing and that's the problem with closed eco systems. the tech it self is pretty good, but until its available to all its going to have resistance and potentially dy off. look at all of the failed closed eco systems in the past 20 years.
you want adoption let everyone use it, not saying that wont happen as it may well do but in its current form, its clearly too expensive for developers to implement and so will always have low adoption rates hence the less than 20 games over the past how many years that have used it? all of which are payed for by nvidia to do so.

Suspended

I would argue the majority of their sales come from the mid the high end, not the lower end users of which there are many on steam.

They're far more likely and capable of buying their games on launch.

Targeting the lower end would make no sense, it would be like making a AAA game for Android, sales will suck because hardly anyone well be any run the game, or can't afford the game.

Associate
I would argue the majority of their sales come from the mid the high end, not the lower end users of which there are many on steam.

They're far more likely and capable of buying their games on launch.

Targeting the lower end would make no sense, it would be like making a AAA game for Android, sales will suck because hardly anyone well be any run the game, or can't afford the game.

i disagree, look at minecraft (the biggest selling game of all time), i would suggest what made it successful is the fact that so many people COULD play it (including kids). i/e mobile/low to high spec/console etc.

Associate
Minecraft supports DLSS and Raytracing. :D
that adds even more credence that dlss helps with the low end situation :D:p using steam numbers for anything accurate is complete waste of time. the figure are so far off you may as well guess. they are easily skewed by so many factors.

old but still true and only 1 example alone where i can find hundreds of others.
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-steam-doesnt-accurately-measure-market-share

and these steam figures are contradicted by nvidias sales figures, by all accounts amphere is the best selling nvidia gpu period. gaming revenue is up by $2.27 billion for q1 2021 thats an almost 40% increase on q1 2020. tally that into the steam hardware survey :p which is what 12.5%? seems abit low to me :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom