Starting a motorbike after a year in the shed

Associate
I got given a bike (gsr 750) after someone passed away, this thing has been sitting in my shed for the last year, I disconnected the battery and threw a cover over it and thats it, mot runs out on the 1st so am going to take it for a mot, is there anything I should be worried about? I heard fuel injection bike are pretty bulletproof, the only thing thats really concerning me is the fuel thats in the tank, is that going to cause a problem?

PS I SUCK at anything DIY and anything to do with stripping a bike down always goes t**s up so the more simple the better

Tea Drinker
Don
It'll not be the fuel in the tank that's a problem it'll be if it's not super unleaded and it's sat in the fuel lines and gunked up. Bikes are super problematic around that my 98 R1 carbs need stripping after 6 months where they've dried out and gunked up. Super also protects the rusting in the tank, if you're going to leave a bike brim it with super, park it up turn the petrol off (if you can) and let it run till it stalls.

Soldato
The fuel will probably be fine, my Aprilia started up no problem after 2 years of not moving, but the battery had to be replaced.

Associate
Bring it out, rev it loudly several times early in the morning before your neighbours have woken. Jobs a good 'un...

As already said, the fuel should be fine but a quick siphon of most of the tank fuel and then fill with fresh should clear the lines quickly enough.

Back
Top Bottom