FTTP in October !

Associate
I'm not at all sure about the supplied Router. The Technicolor DGA2231.

On the home network we have up to 4 laptops, 1 Gaming rig, 1 NAS, 1 Smart TV and 1 powerline connection to a wifi rebroadcaster upstairs

I'm after advice on the most suitable router, possibly Modem/Router combo

Any pointers gratefully received !

Soldato
I'm not at all sure about the supplied Router. The Technicolor DGA2231.

On the home network we have up to 4 laptops, 1 Gaming rig, 1 NAS, 1 Smart TV and 1 powerline connection to a wifi rebroadcaster upstairs

I'm after advice on the most suitable router, possibly Modem/Router combo

Any pointers gratefully received !
What's wrong with the one they provide?

Associate
OP
I know nothing about it. A google search doesn't turn up any details about it's specifications. Makes me leery.

Soldato
I'd be looking to replace the powerline before swapping out the router.

If you do end up getting a new router, then ignore the modem bit. There isn't one. Openreach will install an ONT (Optical Network Termination) which the fibre plugs into. You'll then connect an ethernet cable from the WAN port of your router to the ethernet port on the ONT.

Associate
OP
I'd be looking to replace the powerline before swapping out the router.

If you do end up getting a new router, then ignore the modem bit. There isn't one. Openreach will install an ONT (Optical Network Termination) which the fibre plugs into. You'll then connect an ethernet cable from the WAN port of your router to the ethernet port on the ONT.

Interesting ! I didnt know that. Thanks

Soldato
I'm trying to determine the best alternatives out there, so that if it turns out to be sub par. I can source a better one very quickly
I'd honestly just try it first then come back here with a list of what it isn't doing for you, then people can help recommend one.

If you do end up getting another you need to try and get one that can handle 1Gb not all can, at least then you'll be covered for a long time.

Soldato
ISP supplied routers are generally ‘fine’ these days. If you don’t know why you want to replace it, the chances are you don’t need to replace it. Buying a modern wifi 6 router from any of the mainstream brands is likely to do the job you need but it’s unlikely to be much better for the average person than the ISP supplied one.

The main issues people have with them is mainly down to expectations and them defying the laws of physics.

As others have pointed out, the best way to improve your WiFi experience is to replace the power line with a proper cable and having a centrally mounted access point.

Most recommend running a cable outside the house up to the loft and mounting an access point centrally on the landing ceiling. One centrally mounted access point will cover most large 4 bedroom homes without issue.

Back
Top Bottom