What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Dug out a horid evergreen bush and a grape vine and planted a couple of lovely acers that have got too big for the pots instead.

digging was an ****** nightmare as past about 400mm deep the soil turned to pure clay backfilled with ericaceous soil, Done Now tho hopefully they thrive.

Soldato
Are you not using a steamer, I find it quite therapeutic. I painted 4 doors last night (I really hate glossing), despite when we started decorating, my Mrs assuring me she'd do it all and I wouldn't need to:rolleyes:.

Am indeed using a steamer.

Super old wallpaper with multiple layers of paint on though. An area approx 2m by 4m took me a very long time time!

Don
Knocked out an old "eighties" style brick and mahogany effect wood av unit, and some old wooden box section that covered central heating pipes that are no longer in use.

New oak effect TV unit arrived and assembled, and temporary bit of spare carpet to cover the gap.

Will attack the pipes with a hacksaw tomorrow, and then will just need to tidy up the decorating, and get a new carpet (when lockdown ends and we are actually allowed to go to a carpet shop)

Soldato
Put up a curtain pole in the spare room / Mrs' WFH space

Before

IMG-20210214-091822.jpg

After

IMG-20210214-103012.jpg

that is a cool idea I like how you can close your curtains at night and then completely forget that you work desk is right there :)

the amount of people with offices in bedrooms, kitchens, hallways and living rooms that can't do this is sad especially on days off. last thing I want to be reminded of is work on my off days :)

Soldato

Were lucky as that is a spare bedroom so not getting much use other than a WFH space at the moment (and I have a study) but when we do have visitors a quick tidy of the space and it's ready for use. Being able to close the curtains straight over is a huge bonus too. Still looking at some blinds as the sun can be a problem - hence her randomly placed printer paper sellotaped to the windows :D

Soldato

Were lucky as that is a spare bedroom so not getting much use other than a WFH space at the moment (and I have a study) but when we do have visitors a quick tidy of the space and it's ready for use. Being able to close the curtains straight over is a huge bonus too. Still looking at some blinds as the sun can be a problem - hence her randomly placed printer paper sellotaped to the windows :D

it looks neat from here :) what direction does that window face? if its south good luck!

Soldato
Replaced the snapped handle on the snow / garden shovel thing

IMG-20210221-123712.jpg

IMG-20210221-124730.jpg

Moved the shed we only out up about 2 weeks ago :rolleyes:

From the side of the house up two small sets of steps and over a narrow gate FFS ....

IMG-20210221-122343.jpg

Then tidied up the area it had been originally set up

IMG-20210221-122727.jpg

IMG-20210221-122703.jpg

IMG-20210221-145043.jpg

Then moved the medium log store from the back garden

IMG-20210221-134908.jpg

To the side of the house

IMG-20210221-140102.jpg

Soldato
Replaced the snapped handle on the snow / garden shovel thing
IMG-20210221-123712.jpg

IMG-20210221-124730.jpg
Moved the shed we only out up about 2 weeks ago :rolleyes:

From the side of the house up two small sets of steps and over a narrow gate FFS ....

IMG-20210221-122343.jpg

Then tidied up the area it had been originally set up

IMG-20210221-122727.jpg

IMG-20210221-122703.jpg

IMG-20210221-145043.jpg

Then moved the medium log store from the back garden

IMG-20210221-134908.jpg

To the side of the house

IMG-20210221-140102.jpg

Good choice on moving it!

I was questioning the location in my mind the other week when I was scrolling through. What was the rationale for moving out of interest?

Soldato
Thanks - We did have the discussion before building it in the first place and decided to "try" it there :rolleyes:

I did say it was going to be awkward (for me) to get the lawnmower, BBQ etc up the stairs into the back everytime we want to use them but relented

Didn't really think we would move it but it is a PITA having it where it was, even getting to the bins, recycling boxes and main log store.

Thankfully we managed to man handle / had ball it ove the gate and round the house without too much effort and only ended up removing the roof to lighten the load a bit :D

Soldato
Nice and neat @Mr.Cookie - why so many though? I had 4 fitted in the same looking space and they they make my dark dining area really bright!
Thanks, I looked up recommended distances and 36 inches was recommended, this was a bit awkward with the gapping between joists and I've got smart colour plus white bulbs going in and thought more the merrier :D

Last edited:
Associate
What is that cable outside the junction box (coming from the camera)? It looks like the network cable without the waterproof connector fitted to it (difficult to tell from your picture though). It looks like it goes in to something black.

Top cable is the RJ45/POE cable, I cut off huge IP rated female plug and fitted a male RJ45 plug as it connects to a female keystone inside the box on the wall.
Bottom cable is the 12v power cable, it's not needed, but doesn't have a weather proof cover/cap so I have put it into the box to keep it dry.
The external one (right at the bottom) is the re-set button, it's got an IP66 rated cap on it and I couldn't fit it through any of the glands with the other cables. It's safe enough there and is well out of reach of anyone without a ladder.

Dave

Soldato
Put the roof on over the last 2 days. Happy with how it is looking.

As mentioned previously we will eventually but putting an extension on the rear at some point so didnt want to spend a great deal on this.

Guttering still needs to go on and flashing will be done in the summer when weather is warming and easier to work with the flashing tape.

Need to work out a bit of cladding to go on the side where the neighbour is and then maybe some sleeper raised beds between the posts closest the the neighbour also to enclose the area slightly.

I think we may train some sort of plants to grow up the posts just need to decide what.

YEaMA22.jpg
LBLg1pE.jpg

Associate
Sorted out this disaster i found when removing a circular light to install a pendant. Just needs painting and removing the extra screw holding the bit of batton in

SCXTv81l.jpg

Had the junction box just been pushed into the ceiling with no cover on? :eek:

Wagos are brilliant, make things so much easier to work out later, esp when you've got a mix of old and new colours

Back
Top Bottom