Creality Wi-fi box has anyone installed octopi on it yet?

Soldato
I'm looking at the Creality wi-fi box for ~22 dollars, and it looks like you 'may' be able to install octopi on it.

Has anyone here done it, or hacked/modified the box to make use of it so you don't need the cloud?

(i'm already aware you can get root access, and the port 80 is admin/admin on it lol.)

Associate
I'm looking at the Creality wi-fi box for ~22 dollars, and it looks like you 'may' be able to install octopi on it.

Has anyone here done it, or hacked/modified the box to make use of it so you don't need the cloud?

(i'm already aware you can get root access, and the port 80 is admin/admin on it lol.)

I'd just buy a Raspberry Pi to be honest.

Associate
Why would you need to program anything? Octoprint is made for the Raspberry Pi, just download the image from octoprints website and write it to an SD card.

What printer have you got? BL touch are only really worth it on certain printers, a magnetic flexible build plate is a better upgrade.

Soldato
OP
I am buying an Ender 3 V2 tomorrow. I believe it has a hard print surface.

Programming. I see a lot of having to get busy with settings/configs in code on youtube videos about octopi.

I am assuming the BLTouch helps with any warping in a plate.

Associate
I am buying an Ender 3 V2 tomorrow. I believe it has a hard print surface.

Programming. I see a lot of having to get busy with settings/configs in code on youtube videos about octopi.

I am assuming the BLTouch helps with any warping in a plate.

Not sure what videos your watching but it's really not like that for a simple Octoprint install. Got an example of what you're watching?

Honestly an Ender is so easy to level at that size bed I wouldn't get a bltouch at this stage, use the printer for a few kg's of filament and see what's what.

Soldato
OP
Not sure what videos your watching but it's really not like that for a simple Octoprint install. Got an example of what you're watching?

Honestly an Ender is so easy to level at that size bed I wouldn't get a bltouch at this stage, use the printer for a few kg's of filament and see what's what.

Ok! Will see how I get on.

Soldato
OP
Well, whilst buying the Ender 3 V2 yesterday, I saw the wifi box was only 15 dollars so what the heck, I bought one. Did not have much luck printing from it though. I will try again today.

I will look at octopi as well over the next few weeks as I get to grips with the printers operation.

Edit: Didn't have much luck with the wifi box on first day. Just going with the TF card for now, and will circle back to the box later, and look at octoprint as well.

Last edited:
Associate
the Creality wi-fi box is complete crap got one for £7 and you can only use their slicer and is a complete waste of money ended up throwing mine in the bin. 100% go with a PI and octoprint

Soldato
OP
the Creality wi-fi box is complete crap got one for £7 and you can only use their slicer and is a complete waste of money ended up throwing mine in the bin. 100% go with a PI and octoprint

Tried it once... didn't work... hovering around my basement floor somewhere right now lol. Will be looking at a Pi setup eventually.

Associate
Tried it once... didn't work... hovering around my basement floor somewhere right now lol. Will be looking at a Pi setup eventually.

mine hit the bin after 3-4 hours of trying to get it working the app is complete crap. no wonder Creality started selling them so cheap.

Soldato
OP
The camera I am using seems to take a lot of resources. I've decided to turn the camera off for now. I will look for a better supported camera. (I was seeing 95% cpu usage, now I've turned the cam off it's 20 to 25% with a print running)

Honestly, I'm happy to put an end to the constant SD Card usage lol.

Soldato
OP
Wait till you switch to Fluidd/Mainsail with Klipper.

You'll never have to compile a Marlin .bin again :D

lol. I am intentionally staying on octo/marlin so I can use Jyers. I am willing to give Klipper a go, but I don't really want to change my firmware again on my printer. Can I even use Cura anymore as I hear the GCodes are different with Klipper?

Associate
lol. I am intentionally staying on octo/marlin so I can use Jyers. I am willing to give Klipper a go, but I don't really want to change my firmware again on my printer. Can I even use Cura anymore as I hear the GCodes are different with Klipper?

Can still use Cura. Some gcode isnt supported but it's mostly the start gcode. I pass it off to Klipper if I have to use Cura for a particular print. I use Superslicer as that actually has Klipper support built in. Much faster prints, input shaping, pressure advance etc. Config change is edit text and a 2 second restart. It's much more convenient than having to rebuild Marlin and reflash the firmware.

Soldato
OP
Can still use Cura. Some gcode isnt supported but it's mostly the start gcode. I pass it off to Klipper if I have to use Cura for a particular print. I use Superslicer as that actually has Klipper support built in. Much faster prints, input shaping, pressure advance etc. Config change is edit text and a 2 second restart. It's much more convenient than having to rebuild Marlin and reflash the firmware.

I don't build it, i just use the prebuilt stuff.

Soldato
OP
Just feedback on this. So far, it has been running pretty well. I haven't tried anything high speed as I'm on PETG and I need dimensional accuracy as all the part fit together as a product, so 30m/s max so far.

I haven't setup the timelapse stuff yet though, only the normal web cam.

Sooooo much better not having to use the SD card constantly. That alone is worth the time spent, and the 10 dollars for the box to replace its firmware.

Back
Top Bottom