BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Just had my warranty invitation through on my 2018 X3 M40i, its three years old at the end of March. BMW comprehensive warranty with £100 excess and roadside assistance comes in at £57 a month. I'm pleased with that compared to what the warranty on my F11 was costing, that was £98 a month without roadside assistance.

Associate
Just had my warranty invitation through on my 2018 X3 M40i, its three years old at the end of March. BMW comprehensive warranty with £100 excess and roadside assistance comes in at £57 a month. I'm pleased with that compared to what the warranty on my F11 was costing, that was £98 a month without roadside assistance.

That's not bad!
How do you find the car after 3 years of ownership? Good family wagon?

Soldato
Its pretty much perfect to be honest. Its big enough to lug the family around and tow the caravan but also great fun. It has such a change of character depending what mode your in and is lovely to drive. There's a few little niggles but to be fair I think no matter what car I have there would be bits I don't like.

Associate
Got quote back from the dealer, £2,700 inc VAT and everything else. The guy explained they'd strip trim before doing the repair/prep/respray which meant dismantling the doors to remove handles, mirror and window trim. Also because of where the scratch ends the ///M on the front wing will need to be replaced, that's the only part I can think of but don't know how that amounts to £210 and still leaves £200 of "Additional Items". Even if those are clarified/reduced/removed it'll be an insurance claim which will hang over my head for however many years, even with protected NCB.

Parts / Panels Requiring Renewal
R.BADGE

Parts / Panels Requiring Repair
REPAIR RIGHT FRONT DOOR
REPAIR R/R DOOR
REPAIR R/R SIDE PANEL

Associated Work Required
CHECK AND QUALITY CONTROL
CHECK AND ROAD TEST

Parts / Panels Requiring Painting
RIGHT FRONT DOOR REPAIR PAINTING <50%
R/R DOOR REPAIR PAINTING <50%
R/R SIDE PANEL REPAIR PAINTING <50%
R/F WING SURFACE PAINT
R/F OUTER HANDLE SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
R/R OUTER HANDLE SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
FUEL FILLER FLAP SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
DE NIB .

Additional Items
E.P.A. CHARGE
PRE/POST REP CHECKS

Cost Summary
ALL PRICES EXCLUDE VAT
Labour: £1,300.75
Paint Materials: £556.89
Parts: £209.83
Additional Items: £200.00

Soldato
Unbelievable. £2700 because some absolute **** was ****** off with something.

I've just looked on YouTube for videos of people keying cars and out of the 10 or so videos I found, the perpetrators in 7 of them were fat women, 1 was a male doctor, 1 was a random landscaping contractor who came onto someones driveway just to key their car, and three others were guys in a car park in a supermarket car park (one possible road rage/two completely random).

These were all random keyings, not jilted ex's or something, and where the perpetrator didn't know they were being caught on camera.

If I caught someone doing it, I'd love to find out just why the hell they are doing it. Right before I break their legs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got quote back from the dealer, £2,700 inc VAT and everything else. The guy explained they'd strip trim before doing the repair/prep/respray which meant dismantling the doors to remove handles, mirror and window trim. Also because of where the scratch ends the ///M on the front wing will need to be replaced, that's the only part I can think of but don't know how that amounts to £210 and still leaves £200 of "Additional Items". Even if those are clarified/reduced/removed it'll be an insurance claim which will hang over my head for however many years, even with protected NCB.

Parts / Panels Requiring Renewal
R.BADGE

Parts / Panels Requiring Repair
REPAIR RIGHT FRONT DOOR
REPAIR R/R DOOR
REPAIR R/R SIDE PANEL

Associated Work Required
CHECK AND QUALITY CONTROL
CHECK AND ROAD TEST

Parts / Panels Requiring Painting
RIGHT FRONT DOOR REPAIR PAINTING <50%
R/R DOOR REPAIR PAINTING <50%
R/R SIDE PANEL REPAIR PAINTING <50%
R/F WING SURFACE PAINT
R/F OUTER HANDLE SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
R/R OUTER HANDLE SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
FUEL FILLER FLAP SURFACE PAINT PLAST.
DE NIB .

Additional Items
E.P.A. CHARGE
PRE/POST REP CHECKS

Cost Summary
ALL PRICES EXCLUDE VAT
Labour: £1,300.75
Paint Materials: £556.89
Parts: £209.83
Additional Items: £200.00

So sorry this has happened to you. I had vandals jump on my partners bonnet repeatedly a while back (I've managed to pull out the dent but it's never the same, it'll need to be sorted at some point). So I can sympathise to a degree.

I'd possibly go the insurance route, depending on your age, and how long it will impact you for.

If I caught someone doing it, I'd love to find out just why the hell they are doing it. Right before I break their legs.

That would just land you in trouble, far more trouble than them.

My school of thought is either one of two things must be true, one is that they're hurting somewhere else and pity should be had for them (abusive past experiences?), and we should seek to understand why people would behave in such a way and mitigate it in future.

Or two, they will never be "understood", you'll never figure out what they were doing or why. In the natural world they wouldn't get away with such heinous acts as they'd be outlawed. But in today's society, even the police don't care (we weren't given a crime number, despite asking for one).

Soldato
My school of thought is either one of two things must be true, one is that they're hurting somewhere else and pity should be had for them (abusive past experiences?), and we should seek to understand why people would behave in such a way and mitigate it in future.

Pitying the person who randomly comes up to your property and causes £2700 worth of damage for absolutely no reason? Ha, no. *Even* if they have had the most traumatic of pasts, I'm afraid can't see the connection between this and damaging a stranger's property. This is the type of mindset that excuses people any sort of responsibility for their actions, which, surprise surprise, gives them carte blanche to repeat their actions.

Or two, they will never be "understood", you'll never figure out what they were doing or why. In the natural world they wouldn't get away with such heinous acts as they'd be outlawed. But in today's society, even the police don't care (we weren't given a crime number, despite asking for one).

They know why they did it. And I'd like to know the reason why, even if it is as petty or ridiculous as I think it would be. The lack of logic or reasoning behind it just gets my goat.

I'm not talking about the ones with a logical motive (cheated on gf/parked like a twonk/cut someone up in traffic/post road rage incident).

I'm talking about the ones where someone in a Ford Mondeo parks up and comes back to find it keyed. Or even someone in something a bit more up market. Do people really damage other people's cars because they're jealous? Is it really as simple as that? The feeling of "well if I can't afford a BMW 5 Series, I'm going to ruin this random guys one, even though he might be the nicest guy in the world"

Soldato
I'm going to look at a '15 M4 tomorrow, is there anything to look out for on these?

Yeah, see if you can see how many kerbs it's slid into in it's life. :p

Seriously though, for me, accident damage would be a big one. The earlier ones are known to be very tail happy which translates to people losing control of them. Look for any newer looking suspension components, wheels that have been recut/replaced, tyres that have significantly different manufacturer dates on them, paint variances and panel gap variances.

Back
Top Bottom