RWD owners - do you still drive in the snow?

Soldato
Highly unlikely we get heavy snow in this country as bad as others but even with All season tyres are rear wheel drive only cars still manageable?

I'm looking possibly at the 3 series hybrid but the Xdrive is harder to come by on the used or demo market. From your own experience going up hills or town driving in the snow - is it doable or am I just gonna wheel spin up those hills on all season tyres?

Caporegime
I did a couple of weeks ago, in the south-east.

RWD E Class estate (auto) on 20" wheels with summer tyres.

The main roads were fine, I just had to avoid any smaller roads.

AWD doesn't necessarily give you much better traction in the snow anyway, tyres are more important.

Soldato
I've never found it to be a problem on main roads, haven't had a FWD in almost a decade. Saying that the weather doesn't get bad in the UK regardless.

I'd rather be out in the snow in a RWD car with winter tyres than a AWD/4WD in summer tyres, in any case.

If you're that bothered about it, buy in some winter tyres, the money you'll save on fuel and tyre wear from not having the Xdrive version will no doubt save you money to put towards it.

Caporegime
I took my 440i out in the snow this year, no issues so long as you are driving to the conditions. I was even driving narrow (read untreated) country lanes up into the Peak District (towards Buxton).

I used to take my E46 330d to the French Alps every year to go skiing, also never had a problem, though did once have to fit chains (enforced by the local police, not my choice).

Soldato
I didn't have problems with my GT86 in the snow with winter tyres.

Tyres are way more effective than just having AWD. RWD with winter tyres won't get stuck in places where AWD and summer tyres will.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback. Do you guys have summer tyres all year round? I'm talking from my own experience when in my A3 on a incline out of my estate my summer tyres struggled to get up the hill and made me realise how crappy my car is those tyres (F1 Asymmetric).

When I put on all season tyres later that year and it snowed again I was able to drive around through town without issues but seeing a few RWD cars get up inclines and hills made me think if the next car I'm going to get HAS to be AWD or something.... sitting in traffic setting off in the snow I saw this poor old 3 series slipping and sliding up this hill while I cruised passed him in my A3.

I suppose i can get a set of spare winter tyres and have them in the garage and swap them out if I'm worried when it snows next time. Is it still fine to drive on Summer tyres at the front and winter at the back? lol

Associate
I don't personally, but I've read numerous times of people driving RWD in snow with winter tyres without any issues, including going up inclines. Obviously drive appropriately for the conditions. As above, mixing tyres is not a good idea though.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’ve driven rwd on my snow for somewhere in the region of 17 years, as yet without a crash, most of that on all season tyres.

Being a bit richer in my older years, I’ve now got a set of winters in my MX5, which are a whole lot cheaper than splurging the extra for 4wd.

Funnily enough, the only issue I saw during the snow this year was a Range Rover rear ending a van as he’d not given himself enough braking distance and was probably on summer tyres.

seriously, if you have concerns get a cheap set of wheels and a set of winters

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback. Do you guys have summer tyres all year round? I'm talking from my own experience when in my A3 on a incline out of my estate my summer tyres struggled to get up the hill and made me realise how crappy my car is those tyres (F1 Asymmetric).

When I put on all season tyres later that year and it snowed again I was able to drive around through town without issues but seeing a few RWD cars get up inclines and hills made me think if the next car I'm going to get HAS to be AWD or something.... sitting in traffic setting off in the snow I saw this poor old 3 series slipping and sliding up this hill while I cruised passed him in my A3.

I suppose i can get a set of spare winter tyres and have them in the garage and swap them out if I'm worried when it snows next time. Is it still fine to drive on Summer tyres at the front and winter at the back? lol

A3 is probably quite heavy with over-sized wheels which won't help.

My FWD hackback had no issues on snow using summer tyres this year, but it's also quite light and has skinny wheels.

Soldato
AWD is another way manufacturers are up-selling and trying to get more profit out of us. If you're driving on the roads in the UK I really don't see the need for it. You also get more drivetrain losses in efficiency so not only does it cost more upfront, it costs a little more to run. How much more depends on the car though.

I can understand AWD for performance cars, e.g. GTR or rally-inspired vehicles, but unless you live down a mud track or on a farm I don't get it. Especially since we have weather where it would *maybe* help perhaps once every two years for a day or two. If you're worried about winter traction, a spare set (4) of wheels with winter tyres fitted will be way more effective as others have said. If you don't trust that, here's a practical test:

My experience of driving RWD in the snow (Lotus Elise) was actually that it is quite controllable and predictable if you check your speed. Perhaps that's partly the car as well, I've seen Mercedes E-class etc. really struggle but I think some of that was auto box plus inexperience.. I found FWD cars actually more challenging to corner and were very prone to understeer which isn't fun when you're braking and steering.

Man of Honour
I don't anymore because if it snows I have an FWD car with Conti WinterContact TS860P fitted so there is absolutely no need, so in the event of any snow my 5 Series stays in the garage.

However I have driven RWD cars in the snow and they are absolutely fine if fitted with the correct tyres. I don't see the value of XDrive in this country. If you have summer RFT's on it then you can spin 4 wheels instead of 4 and it still isn't going to stop you sliding into a wall.

I once drove an RWD 3 Series around Switzerland without issue - but it had winter tyres.

I don't think I'd want all season tyres on a 3 Series though, the compromise when it isn't snowy over proper UHP tyres seems too great. All the All Season tyres appear to be alternatives to mid range tyres.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Only experience I have of RWD in the snow is pickups (though sadly not got to test mine with its current tyres) as above the tyres make the biggest difference though having 4WD available helps but they are very capable normally in RWD.

Soldato
This is OcUK where people are driving gods and have no issues in the snow with RWD and Trofeo R tyres fitted.

Soldato
I took a RWD Jag on summer tyres to the alps about 5 years ago. Had to make very slow progress, but never got stuck. I'd obviously have preferred winter tyres, but it's surprising how much you can do if you're careful. Wouldn't recommend it for regularly snowy journeys though.
16233481418_ab4e056ae2_b.jpg

15798626114_ced69dee04_b.jpg

Caporegime
This is OcUK where people are driving gods and have no issues in the snow with RWD and Trofeo R tyres fitted.
To be fair, I did take my MX5 out in the snow on AD08Rs, I did have to give up though!

It also swapped ends on a straight road.

Tyres make a massive difference, even decent wet weather tyres make a huge difference over track oriented dry weather ones! Winter tyres make things that much more confidence inspiring.

Don
I've owned more RWD cars than anything else over the years (first car was RWD) and never found it to be a problem. As Fox says, correct tyres make more of a difference than FWD / RWD. FWD on summer tyres will slide just as much as RWD.
The only car I've ever really had much trouble with in snow was my S2000. A combination of light weight, a peaky engine, wide wheels, and summer tyres made progress.......interesting.

Soldato
Never had an issue myself, I’ve just taken it very very slowly.

I remember getting over taken by a 1.0 106 a few winters back in my Z4M I was being such a granny, but I’ve never had an incident in snow.

Back
Top Bottom