Dead SSD after BSOD?

Man of Honour
I was away from PC for awhile, left it in Windows doing nothing, came back and was greeted by my motherboard's diagnostic screen.

I rebooted and Windows started, then once I signed in, got a BSOD, PC rebooted and motherboard's diagnostic screen again.

Went into BIOS and primary SSD gone.

Have tried leaving it off for 30 minutes and back on again, SSD still gone.

Made a bootable SeaTools diagnostic thing and primary SSD is not detected by the tool.

Not possible it was a screwy Windows update or something, is it?

Nothing out of the ordinary has happened with the PC, everything been fine, except it did hard lock playing Skyrim a few days ago, which was the first time it's ever locked-up. Never had a BSOD, or anything like that either.

Soldato
More like SSD dying caused that BSOD, because Windows didn't know what else to do.
Sudden death is lot more common for SSDs than HDDs.

Could try attaching drive to other PC to rule out problem in mobo.
But doubt that will give better results.

Soldato
I would've thought that a NAS SSD would've lasted a long while if you believed seagates marketing propaganda :p. I cant imagine you've owned that drive for very long. Just don't expect a brand new replacement if its more than a year old.

Man of Honour
OP
More like SSD dying caused that BSOD, because Windows didn't know what else to do.
Sudden death is lot more common for SSDs than HDDs.

Could try attaching drive to other PC to rule out problem in mobo.
But doubt that will give better results.

Yeah, that's what I fear happened.

I would've thought that a NAS SSD would've lasted a long while if you believed seagates marketing propaganda :p. I cant imagine you've owned that drive for very long. Just don't expect a brand new replacement if its more than a year old.

I know, right? :D It's not even my main PC, it only has a few hours duty a day, on average.

Update: I disconnected the SATA cable and left the PC in BIOS for 20 minutes, which is apparently something suggested by/for recovery of Crucial drives.

I then connected a brand new SATA cable and powered up. Booted straight into Windows.

Not sure how much to trust the drive after that, but it's alive, for now.

Soldato
it is most likely your motherboard is playing up.

I have had similar issues wiht SATA ports in the past. some ports would drop drives randomly.

mark the port that has fallen off, remember not to use it and also get a decent cable to connect to it.

Soldato
I had that recently with an Toshiba drive, BSOD and the drive is dead, won't power on.

Don't buy Seagate drives though, they are rubbish. Every other one seems to arrive with bad blocks from the factory and make that tinging noise every so often.

Soldato
Could also be a dodgy SATA cable. I know people say SATA cables are SATA cables, however I have found some connect much better. I like the Akasa slim line cables, they have a really positive click. In contrast the SATA cables that come supplied with Gigaset motherboards they have become loose and caused IO and BSOD issues. I make a point to only use the Akasa slim line ones now.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...K_dh_A5iOHICwDGXBgzl8hXnWzS0CDExoCWVoQAvD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom