Affordable WiFi 6 router?

Soldato
Hope it works out for you, nothing more annoying than when the missus can't get internets :D we lost our line a couple of weeks ago, enclosure got damp and froze, you'd thing the world had ended.

Thing to bear in mind if you are having range issues with your current setup, this might not improve it as your router is 2.4G, 2.4G has greater range and penetration than 5G, so if you want to take advantage of 5G wifi bandwidth over a good area in your house router positioning is key, stuffed in a corner in another room etc won't help and if you need more coverage you can use another to run a mesh setup, really nice to setup.

I’m hoping the tv is close enough, it’s about 3-4 metres from the router to hog it.

Associate
The only flaw I found which may be the same on the honour, if you don't have wired backhaul and just use the 5G repeater mesh if you change a wifi setting on the main router, you will lose the routers which are wifi connected but have LAN devices, you have to unplug lan devices let it connect to mest and plug 'em back it, a wifi only unit is fine as are ones wired from wan port back to main AP.

Got to the bottom of this issue on why my mesh wouldn't boot up on one of the nodes with LAN connections, its a bit of a bug where it seems the router is looking for WAN connection on any of the ports not just on the WAN port, no big deal right, well it is if you are running the Sky Q Network virus.

I tested all APs in mesh with wireless mesh connections and LAN devices connected and they all fire up fine, its slow from a cold boot and feels like it is done in stages. looks like eth>2.4g>5g with a good minute or so between each so some patience required, problem is that the Q box creates its own magic network for the Qs so when the AP fires up with a sky box connected with nothing in its WAN port, it goes of and checks LAN ports for network, finds the Sky box and decides that is a WAN connection and doesn't look on wifi interfaces, bit of a pain, as you loose mesh when you change some settings, but at least I know.

If the mesh satellite AP with Q attached has a connection on the WAN port to the WAN this does take priority and mesh will work fine.

Also discovered that the device can actually function as a 4port ethernet mesh satellite device utilizing the WAN port with LAN clients that play nice, this is a bonus as I thought you could only use three ports and I needed 4 in one spot because the performance of the satellites is far superior when it doesn't have to relay signal to wifi card. nets you about another 100+Mb

Soldato
The Honour Router 3 is currently on offer on their website for peanuts.

Before a I grab another one (or two) does anyone know if you can mesh three of them together? Website literature all looks like two but I thought I would check.

Associate
They are a bargain at that price, you can mesh them together, but its not a proper mesh setup like orbi or zenwifi, as these do not have a dedicated backhaul channel, its more like a fancy repeater with seamless hand off, so with wifi devices internet speed off of a non wired satellite will be subject to approx half speed internet due to relay traffic, you can do stuff like split 2.4g and 5g to stop this behavior if your internet is not that fast or wire a backhaul for best wifi mesh peformance.

IMO it is still damn fast though wifi meshed without wired backhaul and great for banishing dead spots, if you treat them as a wifi bridge for lan devices you will get full speed over wifi as it doesn't then have to repeat the signal through wifi ap to wifi device.

You can also use them as APs for machines that don't have wifi but have ethernet, so a cheap alternative to a wifi 6 network card obviously in close proximity you'd be limited by the 1Gb LAN port but I have not seen more the 1.2Gbps in testing, so not loosing much.

I have 4, 2 wired and 2 wifi in mesh, I have great coverage everywhere for <£200, which I though was great, the price those are now would have been amazing, the 4th one is probably superfluous but I was having trouble with a wifi asecurity cam that I assumed was weak signal turns out it died.

The AI life app doesn't work so well for 4 as you can't click on the fourth to get to the device page but you can still get information of the fourth and manage it from webpage off of the first device,

Last edited:
Soldato
The BT Smart Hubs are very far from being a potato. For your average none tech savvy person they do the job very nicely.

Yes, they have some of the best coverage of any 4x4 MuMiMo access point and the modem in that unit will do ADSL, VDSL, G.Fast and FTTP. It has a true stateful inspection firewall and the biggest challenge that BT face is that everyone puts it behind the TV or by the front door, and then complains that the coverage is no good. Put it in front of the TV and the coverage brightens up enormously. Speeds are good too.

Associate
How hard is the honor 3 to get a hold of? I've signed up for notifications twice and everytime I've clicked on the link it's sold out...... reminding me of clicking on ps5 links everyday and getting nowhere

Back
Top Bottom